Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to get 12" mini apes?
From what I read on the forum, the only thing that needs to be replaced when using 12" apes is the brake cable. I am actually surprised that the clutch and the throttle cables are long enough.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Where is the best place to get 12" mini apes?
From what I read on the forum, the only thing that needs to be replaced when using 12" apes is the brake cable. I am actually surprised that the clutch and the throttle cables are long enough.
I`m sure you meant to say "brake hose".:)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes it is suprising what the stock cables can do, my throttle cables are stock and my clutch was lengthened about 4 inches for 18" Apes. The stock brake hose is around 19" BTW so get one thats at least 21". May the APES be with you lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is suprising what the stock cables can do, my throttle cables are stock and my clutch was lengthened about 4 inches for 18" Apes. The stock brake hose is around 19" BTW so get one thats at least 21". May the APES be with you lol
Any suggestions as to where to get new bars?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a set that are a little taller than stock... Brand new. I'll try and get a pic, along side a set of stockers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here, I just took a picture. They haven't been installed on a bike, but they have been stored out of the box, and aren't what I'd call 'perfect', but they're pretty nice. A few very small scratches. The bars on the left are from a stock Vulcan. The stock Vulcan bars are off a bike that got dropped, and got slightly bent inwards on one side.

From my crude measurements with a tape measure, the stock bars seem to be around 9-3/4" tall, and the mini apes are 12-1/2" at their highest point.

They came with my bike when I bought it, but I'm not really interested in using them. If you, or anybody else in interested, I'd sell them for $50, plus whatever it costs to ship them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got my 18" off ebay for like 19.99 I dont remember how much shipping was but I think it was like 35 total. Theres gotta be some cheap 12" on there somewhere.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you tried Ebay yet?
Yea, Ebay has them for $70.00 shipped brand new. They aren't listed for the VN750 though. They have a 3.5" spacing in the center, 12" rise, 10" pullback and a 35.5" span from tip to tip. I think they will work but I need to measure the spacing in the center of the stock bars. I would rather buy from a VN750 member though because we can all use the cash around here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my 18" off ebay for like 19.99 I dont remember how much shipping was but I think it was like 35 total. Theres gotta be some cheap 12" on there somewhere.
Yea, I saw used bars on Ebay for $20.00. I was also at some local swap meets and bars around anywhere from $10.00 to $30.00 used.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine were new when I got em, seems theres not much of a market for 7/8 apes but theres plenty of em out there that vendors cant get rid of.

·
quick learner
38 Posts
Yes it is suprising what the stock cables can do, my throttle cables are stock and my clutch was lengthened about 4 inches for 18" Apes.
How hard was it to install the apes and change the cables? alos where did you get them from?

·
quick learner
38 Posts
Also, wat other parts would i need for the cables to mount etc.?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
One thing you will want to keep in mind is that the stock bars are knurled where you clamp them to the bike. Many aftermarket bars are not so what I did to keep the new bars from slipping is buy some anti-skid tape like you would adhere to a walkway or bathtub. This provides enough grip to hold the aftermarket bars in place..............Good luck!

·
quick learner
38 Posts
wat about install of the cables and brake line...wat cables and lines need to get extentions and/or complete new assemblies?...wat needs to get re-routed if anything?...and wat r the exact lenghts of cables/lines that i need for a 16" ape hanger?

·
quick learner
38 Posts
One thing you will want to keep in mind is that the stock bars are knurled where you clamp them to the bike. Many aftermarket bars are not so what I did to keep the new bars from slipping is buy some anti-skid tape like you would adhere to a walkway or bathtub. This provides enough grip to hold the aftermarket bars in place..............Good luck!
I tried that with my bars but they still slipped a little bit...how did u position the skid tape on the bars and on the mount of the bike? I did mine just around the bar but I am going to try it again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts