1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I just couldn't do it. The 500 mile/day trip last week killed me, I could not imagine twice that.

More power to you, you're a stronger man than I.

·
Registered
123 Posts
GOOGLE maps says its 2,311 miles and 38 hours from where I live. so if I leave here thursday morning at 0000 and arive at carson city friday at 1400 then I would have done 1155.5 miles in 19 hours TWICE back to back. Then a nother 1000+ saturday.

I WOULD LOVE TO!!!!

But theres no way my school would let me take leave for that. And I dont think the wif would fund it.

other then that I'd be all over it.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
GOOGLE maps says its 2,311 miles and 38 hours from where I live. so if I leave here thursday morning at 0000 and arive at carson city friday at 1400 then I would have done 1155.5 miles in 19 hours TWICE back to back. Then a nother 1000+ saturday.

I WOULD LOVE TO!!!!

But theres no way my school would let me take leave for that. And I dont think the wif would fund it.

other then that I'd be all over it.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, if only I was younger.....
:doh:
WilliamTech

·
Registered
123 Posts
WilliamTech

Just noticed your in Pensacola.
Im at NAS Pensacola. Want to do some riding some time... we can keep it local for the older folks "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, if only I was younger....." HAHA

But hey just PM me or can I PM you with some info

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well y'know, opinions are like some other things, everybody has one...
Mine is, if you can ride a 1,000 mi. day you are either on a wrong road or superman's young son...lol... On the roads I like to ride, I consider a 200 mi. day a butt kicker, maybe a lil more stamina will come for me with age...lol...
Come on EQPlayer, you gettin old or sumpin, you still ride the goat trails don't you, and what are you ridin now that the VN is sold...???
PS-Quote by EQPlayer, "Straight roads are evil"...:beerchug:... I agree 100%+...lol...

BTW-Wolfie, a bit of velcro and a kinda firm cushion would sure help that beer keg & my back...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I live about 20 miles from Carson City. I have ridden most of this route at one time or another. Contrary to many peoples perception of Nevada, it is one of the most mountainous states in the country with over 300 mountain ranges. It is a series of montains and valleys all across the state.The highways tend to try to stay in the flat valleys as much as possible, of course. If you like long stretches of highway, this is for you. Watch out for livestock on the road, Nv is a open range state, If you hit a cow, you bought it, in more ways than one.
If you go, have fun, and more power to ya
Che

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I rode from NY to Dallas once, nonstop (besides fer gas and BurgerKing)...thats around 2200 mi...23.5 hrs.... I was in my 40's then though, lol...and a 5 gal tank....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was in my 40's then though, lol...and a 5 gal tank....

Well, those of us over 50 would need a 5 gal bladder:wow:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Never had a bladder problem, even now that Im well into my 50s...I have a very high metabolism though and it just burns it up....I also dehydrate easily....Im very thin though...always have been, as is my son, and Dad was...guess we skinny folk just burn it quicker...I can drink down 4 tallboys, and not even think about goin....
From what Ive read though, if ya pee a lot, could be a prostrate issue...mines like it was 40 yrs ago, and amazingly, is my liver....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Never had a bladder problem, even now that Im well into my 50s...I have a very high metabolism though and it just burns it up....I also dehydrate easily....Im very thin though...always have been, as is my son, and Dad was...guess we skinny folk just burn it quicker...I can drink down 4 tallboys, and not even think about goin....
From what Ive read though, if ya pee a lot, could be a prostrate issue...mines like it was 40 yrs ago, and amazingly, is my liver....
It was really just a joke for the geezer crowd:)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...I got yer "geezer" Jr....lololol.... ;)...:beerchug:

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Come on EQPlayer, you gettin old or sumpin, you still ride the goat trails don't you, and what are you ridin now that the VN is sold...???
PS-Quote by EQPlayer, "Straight roads are evil"...:beerchug:... I agree 100%+...lol..
Glorious goaty roads! Love'em. Led a ride a few weeks ago, some of the most insane goat trails in my area. 130 miles, the longest straight section was maybe 100 yards.

Can't do a 1000 day on goat roads, though. Need straight roads and higher speeds.

My current ride is a Suzuki Vstrom 650. Although it pains me to say it, as much as I loved the Vulcan, the 'strom is a better bike in every way. I especially like the 5.8 tank. Going almost 250 miles per tank is really nice.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Glorious goaty roads! Love'em. Led a ride a few weeks ago, some of the most insane goat trails in my area. 130 miles, the longest straight section was maybe 100 yards.

Can't do a 1000 day on goat roads, though. Need straight roads and higher speeds.

My current ride is a Suzuki Vstrom 650. Although it pains me to say it, as much as I loved the Vulcan, the 'strom is a better bike in every way. I especially like the 5.8 tank. Going almost 250 miles per tank is really nice.
I Know what you mean on that... My bunch was supposed to ride yesterday at 12:30 but no one showed, needless to say I didn't shed a tear, just hit the ole starter button at 12:35 and enjoyed about the same as you, 130 miles of some very good twisties, and only crossed the center line once on a mean right hander...lol... Really not funny, and sure raises the hair on the back of my neck, I only got into the on coming lane about a foot or so, makes you glad it's a very lonesome road too...lol...
Well I actually rode 151 mi., but I went on past my house to my son's store and filled up with non ethanol high test which added 16.4 RT miles to the total...
WOW-5.8 gal. tank & 250 mi., my bike has a 4.5 gal. tank and I could probably get near 180-200 in the twisties, my low fuel light usually comes on at 130-140 mi. depending on me & the twisties, but 3 gal will top it off, so I'm gettin probably 48-50 mpg most of the time... They claim the in tank fuel pump displaces +/-1/2 gal., so I probably have only 4.0 gal. of actual gasoline...???

PS-This was my yesterdays ride, I think I will call it the "Bryant Ala. duckling...lol...

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=spflgfsw

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Awsome route, I like the roads more like it is where your bike is setting near the guard rail... How long is that route, looks like a good one... I'm gettin too old for the dirt & broken up chip roads though...lol... I have one like that, with broken chip, gravel, and some sharp switgh backs but seldom ride it, and very cautious when I do... I did a video on it but don't know how to post or anything, I think it is too big to email also...

PS-Here is the better part of the tar & chip w/gravel...

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=sdpp3z8w

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Looks decent...how long was that route ?

WilliamTech
The main route was about +/-134 mi., I did pass go, and go for a fill up that was about 16 mi. RT off the total of 151 mi. on the odometer...
PS-That must be close, my map says 144 but that would be + 8 mi. ... (1/2 the RT for gas)...

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bump, two weeks to go. Who else is coming?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts