Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to see if there is any interest in setting up a ride this coming weekend. Possible destinations could be anywhere in Philly or the surrounding area such as Manayunk or even NYC as the traffic would be lower on a Sunday. Other locations could be the Water Gap, Bear Mountain/Port Jervis or the Jersey shore. I am also open to other destination suggestions. There has been some interest from several members in the past but some how everything falls short at the last minute. Please respond with suggestions and/or interest. I am not sure what this winter season will bring weather wise and would like to enjoy any and all weekends unless there is actual snow on the ground.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
and remember, "Ride till you rot!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Mebbe...

If ya plan on N Jersey or S NY State, I may be in. The city is a "no way" for me though. Im a country boy who hates traffic. But the tree colors in Passaic, Sussex Co's in NJ, and Orange in NY are looking great now !
Lemme know if yer heading this way !. Doing a degoat tomorrow, but should be fine then.

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Keep an eye out for this continuing thread and I hope there is some positive interest in setting up a ride. I have heard lots of people asking but in the end there are no takers. Just have to keep putting it out there.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
and remember, "Ride till you rot!"

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Just have to keep putting it out there.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
That's a great attitude, T. And you're totally right. I can't do this Sunday, I'll be in NYC for a concert courtesy of Carrie. If I can make one of these things I will though. Please keep putting it out there. :smiley_th

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great attitude, T. And you're totally right. I can't do this Sunday, I'll be in NYC for a concert courtesy of Carrie. If I can make one of these things I will though. Please keep putting it out there. :smiley_th
I know you get into Philly but have you done Manayunk? Found out about that area while my daughter was attending St. Joseph's University on City Ave for her undergraduate studies so it was a short drive from there. We have continued going even after she went on to Johns Hopkins and completed her graduate work. She drives up from Baltimore on occassion and we meet her there. Great place. Enjoy the concert and I hope to get a ride in with you again soon before the white stuff starts shutting down the weekends.

Tom
Vulcan 2000

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
^ Yup, I used to be in Manayunk all the time. I lived in Conshohocken for 2 years, the night life was in Manayunk. The brew pub on the water is really nice. There's a small bar tucked away in Manayunk somewhere. It's in a converted garage in like this small alley way - you can sit outside. The guy grills all his own stuff, makes his own bbq sauce, the works. He has a giant smoker out front that's constantly smokin' something. The food is so damn good, it's ridiculous. I'm trying to remember the name...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Me and my wife have been making regular trips down kelly drive up into Manayunk. In the summer it was nice to get out by the river for a cool ride.

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We need to set up a ride to Manayunk sometime soon. It seems there is no interest for this weekend but maybe the following one if it is a little later start in the morning as I work midnight shift every other week. I am still looking for anyone interested in riding this Sunday to just about any where. I just want to put on some miles and enjoy the scenery before the white stuff starts and eliminates my free weekends.

Anyone interested please let me know.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I was seriously considering this weekend, but it sounds like the white stuff is coming sooner than expected. I will try to keep my next few sundays open in case some others decide to ride.
I am in NNJ in the Wayne area...Morris/Passaic border.

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was seriously considering this weekend, but it sounds like the white stuff is coming sooner than expected. I will try to keep my next few sundays open in case some others decide to ride.
I am in NNJ in the Wayne area...Morris/Passaic border.
It looks like this weekend will be a wash once again as no one has come forward interested in riding. The snow, if it comes, will be on Saturday and can not last too long as the ground is too warm to maintain it. Sunday is suppose to be warmer and clear so I will be riding someplace just to get out and not waste the day. I don't want to be sitting around in Jan. or Feb. with a foot of snow on the ground and wishing I had taken advantage of the last few weekends of clear roads.

Keep an eye here for any other potential rides or put up a post of your own if you decide to ride in the next several weeks.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Mount yer studs and knobbys...

From NOAA for my area....

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM SATURDAY TO 2 AM EDT
SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING FOR HEAVY WET SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM SATURDAY
TO 2 AM EDT SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN
EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...ORANGE AND PUTNAM COUNTIES.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S.

* VISIBILITIES..LESS THAN 1 MILE AT TIMES.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN AFTER DAYBREAK SATURDAY...THEN
BECOME MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY IN INTENSITY LATE SATURDAY
AFTERNOON INTO SATURDAY EVENING. THE SNOW WILL THEN TAPER OFF
LATER SATURDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...WIDESPREAD HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. LOCAL POWER
OUTAGES ARE ALSO POSSIBLE DUE TO FALLING TREE LIMBS LADEN WITH
THE HEAVY WET SNOW

...If'n yer gonna ride fellas, head south more methinks....Bergen is supposed to get 1-3 and Passaic 3-5.....forget about Sussex and North, lolol.....
All next week supposed to be sunny though and warmer....up to the 50's even in Jersey. I'll be shovelling my driveway out to my bike. Ride safe if ya go !

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The storm came and went. I got called into snow plow duty yesterday afternoon and worked till midnight clearing the NJTurnpike. When I received the phone call I was about fifteen minutes from my house in my truck but the snow had started already and I was dodging falling trees and dragging branches out of the road just trying to get back home. That normal fifteen minute drive took about an hour because of all the problems. There are just too many leaves still on the trees and this was a very wet and large flake snow fall. Trees were dropping all over and I had to watch out my moon roof for the falling branches. I just moved out of the target zone twice while several other vehicles did not. I have seen the damage after such a storm but I have never been in the center of one as it was happening. I am not totally sure but I believe it is something that I rather not do again any time soon.

The ride will remain open and unscheduled till some one gives a shout. This past storm was just a little freak show to let everyone know who really is in charge of things. I intend to keep riding as long as there is no ice or piles of snow on the road.

Keep on riding if you really enjoy it or pack it up and wait for blue skies, 90 degree weather and odd colored drinks with little umbrellas in the top.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
^ I can't do this Sunday (6-Nov) either, me and blondie have plans. The following Sunday I'll be in Philly visiting family for the Eagles game. I'll keep you posted T, I ride year 'round too - white sh!t pending of course. We'll get it together one of these times...

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
^ I can't do this Sunday (6-Nov) either, me and blondie have plans. The following Sunday I'll be in Philly visiting family for the Eagles game. I'll keep you posted T, I ride year 'round too - white sh!t pending of course. We'll get it together one of these times...
Anytime, Mike, just give a shout and we can work something out. I believe you have my cell and email information but if not let me know and I will PM that to you for anytime in the future. Even when I work a weekend I am home by 9:30 AM. Maybe if we make it to Manayunk one weekend Carrie can meet us there or ride with you. I am sure she would not want to miss out on that destination. It is a great place to relax and just enjoy the sights.

I had the bike out today for a short run. The sun is bright and the snow is melting pretty good but the real problem is the wet leaves. Had to slow way down for turns and curves but it was great riding and seeing a mixture of bright colored leaves and snow throughout Kingston, Princeton, Lawrenceville and West Windsor.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Sounds good to me! Carrie's actually been to Manayunk a gazillion times and you're right, it'd be a great place for us to meet her - nice and close to Philly. You won't get her on the bike from November to April though. I've tried, it ain't happnin'. LOL!!!

Yup, got your cell phone number punched into my phone. I'll keep you posted. Glad you got out today...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Dang !

I ended up getting 17-18 " of wet and white here. Lost my mullberry and one apple tree damaged. Weds now, and all but the plowed up stuff is gone. Good thing you guys didnt come this way.

West Milford, NJ = 19"
Harriman, NY =16"

My lil village had the highest snowfall in NY for that storm. Im right between the 2 towns above.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
The snow totals ("snowtals" if you're Carrie and yes, she makes me call them that) were really deceiving. On the train, Carrie looked up all the snowtals for our area and they were saying 12 here, 15 there. They meant 12 inches of percipition, not inches of snow off the ground. We did indeed get 12 inches in Clinton but it was a mix of rain and really heavy snow. It melted or compacted itself as it fell and the actual snowtals only turned out to be a couple inches. Heavy inches of course but still only a couple. Wolfie, you got an actual 17 to 18 inches of snow? Like stick a tape measure in it and you're up to 17?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Yup...

Yup, I measured it with my handydandy Stanley 30' er...depending on where in the yard, was between 16-18"...and thats not even counting sublimation. I get a mini lake effect here...lake 10 miles x 2-3 miles and the winds always go from south (Jersey end) to North. And my village is right at the end of the lake, where all that moisture picked up dumps. About 1/2 the village still outta power. I got no heat, but never lost power. My road is only open to local, and even the Nat Guard was here to close off one mountain. Pole at the end of my street just snapped in half like a toothpick. Still like that as I write this.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Yeah...

All thats left is piles left by plowing, and even theyre almost gone. The Ol Lady took some pics...will ask her to mail em to me and I'll post. I was too busy getting the top of my tree outta the road, lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts