Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any information on if there are any 1" handlebar hand controls(excluding clutch/brake reservoir) that is compatible with 04 vn750. Do I just need to get custom switches? Please help!!!

Thanks

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Short answer...yes.

Long answer no with a but.

You can use your stock switches but you have to mod a housing that fits 1" bars to accept them. Since the stock housings are 7/8" you won't find any for 1" bars.

You can probably make something off a Harley or similar that uses 1" bars work, you just have to take your time and wire them up correctly. As far as a throttle sleeve goes it should be pretty straightforward.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I bet you could reem it out enough to work.
And if it doesn't then you could look into a set of some 1" controls.
I'd look for something with the same if not really similar controls in hopes
It will wire up without a complete reconstruct of the wiring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back. Ive tried walling then out with a drimmle tool but the wiring and switches are too close to the hole :-\. I was looking at vn1500 switches, think they would be compatible? Seems to be the closest match. And any other suggestions are welcome..

Thanks

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. Ive tried walling then out with a drimmle tool but the wiring and switches are too close to the hole :-\. I was looking at vn1500 switches, think they would be compatible? Seems to be the closest match. And any other suggestions are welcome..

Thanks
Depending on the Year of VN1500.... 1986-1998 have 7/8 bars, from 1992+ they have 1" bars... in 1992 the Drifter and mean streak were offered which had the 1" bars. None of the switches are going to be a direct swap. You are going to have to make a wiring harness adapter to adapt any switches to work on the vn750. I am running Honda CX500 (7/8") switches on my VN750. The mod wasn't so bad... If you are dead set on using 1" switches, find a set you like, then find the wiring diagram for that bike, then integrate that wiring into your stock wiring.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
I put VN800 bars on my bike & used the 800 controls. Neither side is plug & play but the right side is a simple direct wire to wire conversion. The left side isn't, you have to make a custom harness for it. You lose hazard flashers and the clutch lever switch is different and you have to pull it in to use the starter. Not impossible, but kind of a pita.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

Thanks
you are on the right track,the ones on my 1500 classic look almost Identical to the 750.You might have to switch the plugs off the 750 wires to the 1500 switch housings. I believe it would be an easy swap.

I just read Jakzen's reply and he is right the 1500 doesn't have the E-flashers either. you may be able to put the 750 turn signal switch in the 1500 housing and retain your flashers, I don't know ,worth a look though.

Never mind, i had a brain cramp. I forgot about the 750 having the button for the flashers,maybe it could be mounted elsewhere on the bike by extending thewires

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
you are on the right track,the ones on my 1500 classic look almost Identical to the 750.You might have to switch the plugs off the 750 wires to the 1500 switch housings. I believe it would be an easy swap.

I just read Jakzen's reply and he is right the 1500 doesn't have the E-flashers either. you may be able to put the 750 turn signal switch in the 1500 housing and retain your flashers, I don't know ,worth a look though.

Never mind, i had a brain cramp. I forgot about the 750 having the button for the flashers,maybe it could be mounted elsewhere on the bike by extending thewires
almost, but again the pin configurations and wiring is different.. not plug and play

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

almost, but again the pin configurations and wiring is different.. not plug and play
Didn't say it was,read the first paragraph again :smiley_th

1 - 12 of 12 Posts