Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I had nothing to do today so I decided to remove the rear wheel and check the splines on my 06 Vulcan 750. I pulled the rear wheel only to find very very little grease on the rear drive hub splines. Broke out the Moly 60 and coated the splines. I then removed the final drive from the shaft and low and behold, There wasnt hardy any grease to speak of. I couldnt believe it, a new bike and the splines didnt have any grease on them. I packed the shaft coupling with Moly 60 and the final drive splines I coated also.

Wow, who would have thought that a new machine didnt have the splines greased. I guess its Kawasaki's way of making sure that you pay big bucks when the drive fails shortly after warranty is finished.

A word to the wise, even though you have a new bike, make sure you check for grease on the splines. It took me under two hours from start to finish, and I did the job alone. Very easy job, the most important thing is to put a 2x8 under the center stand so you get the rear wheel off the ground higher, It makes removing the rear wheel much easier.

PS, I only have 1k on the clock so I know the grease didnt wear out.
PPS,, Vance and Hines Cruzer will be delivered on the 7th. Cant wait to hear how they sound.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
How warm should rear drive feel?

My 06' has only 150 miles on it, and because of all the discussion of
rear splines I decided to check the rear drive to see if it felt hot
after a 15 mile drive but it wasn't so hot that I couldn't touch it,
just felt very warm.

Need the bike to take to DOL for my skills test and hate to
take it apart right now. Kawasaki surely put enough grease on
the splines for the first 1000 miles?

Maybe I can talk the other half into letting me buy a Kawasaki
KLX 250s as a backup bike.. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said,, there was a very small amout of grease on my splines. With only 150 miles on your bike you will be fine untill you finish your test. I wouldnt wait too long before you check for the proper amount of grease though. Its an expensive repair.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feeling hot wouldnt be an indicator if you did or didnt have grease on the splines. What your feeling is the rear hub for temp. A high temp there would indicate too little or no rear end fluid.

Check your splines everyone.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
norsseman said:
Maybe I can talk the other half into letting me buy a Kawasaki
KLX 250s as a backup bike.. :)

I'd suggest to go with the KLX 300. Pretty much the exact same bike, just bored out to a 300. Although I don't believe there's a dualsport model unless ya add it yourself.

Oh, what the heck, go for the KLX 400SR !! :smiley_th
Tell your other half that it's a more reasonable/worthwhile form of "Stress Relief Therapy" than paying some doctor !!

Plus, dirtbikin' adds more to your streetbikin' abilities than any riders course will. (IMO)

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Would Be Interesting To Know If Spline Lube Is Part Of The Kawasaki Dealers 6000mile Service??????
And Don't Forget To Grease Your Front Spline To.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
EDALBRIS said:
Would Be Interesting To Know If Spline Lube Is Part Of The Kawasaki Dealers 6000mile Service??????
And Don't Forget To Grease Your Front Spline To.
I doubt its part of that or even more important, pre-delivery prep. Very sad.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Rubline, did you take any pictures for documentation? Without evidence, Kaw can deny any claim you make. They could claim they greased them and without documentation, you can't prove them wrong.
If anything, I would think they would want evidence so they can fire the slob who's supposed to be greasing the splines on the assembly line.

·
Registered
699 Posts
good point sky rider I read this post earlier and was going to ask the same thing (about pictures) but wife needed the computer. If not for anything else but maybe if kawasaki was shown all this, then maybe the riders out there with the bikes going out of warrenty that know nothing of this problem will be helped and kawasaki will make good on their mistakes even after warrenty has expired.
Rubline at least you caught it now, think of what could have happened had you never been on this or any other 750 site......scary huh
let us know how the vance and hines are

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Sky Rider said:
I would think they would want evidence so they can fire the slob who's supposed to be greasing the splines on the assembly line.
THEY DID BACK IN 1988 BUT FORGOT TO HIRE ANY ONE ELSE TO DO IT

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
That explains it!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts