Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting one in a few days. Great to know there is a site like this to ask questions, so here goes.....

1- Have been reading that there are loud popping noises/backfires from this bike,

2 - Have heard the splines need extra attention, and

3 - Read that the battery needs to be replaced rather quickly with another type (not sure which type) to prevent electical problems.

This will be my first bike. Overall it looks like a really good solid one. Most of what I've read is positive. Sounds like it's very reliable, maintenance 'free', and handles well.

Is there anything I should look out for? Anything I should ask the dealer to determine if they are reliable? I'm in the Richmond, Va. area.

Thanks

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
The popping on decel is if you modify the exhaust.

The 02 to 03 models had a lube problen on the drive shaft splines, wont hurt to look at and have a piece of mind though.

The Maintenance free bat is a good upgrade, If you chech your batt regularly, not as big of a problem. You have to take the seat of to do so, most people are lazy or forget, thats why the Maintence free is good.

They are good bikes enjoy

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
My '99 750 is my first streetbike. Been riding dirt/dualsport for about 15 years or so.

I really like it. My exhaust was switched by the previous owner and Yes, it POPS. But I kinda like it.

Like mentioned above by Spinner, if ya keep an eye on the battery, ya shouldn't have troubles with it.

As far as the spline lube, I can't really help ya there. I still haven't checked mine since I got it, nearly 4 years ago !! :wow: :BLAM:
Probably wouldn't hurt to do mine soon !!

I'm interested in what ya have to say about yours when ya get it. I've been debating getting a newer one since I recently payed this one off.

Enjoy the site, there's tons of info here !!

·
scooterboy
69 Posts
I bought a new 750 in Feb. It has been a great ride. I purchased it in Florida and trailered it back to my summer home in Oh. The only thing that I did'nt like was the finish on the rear fender and the spot welds that were showing on the front fender.The dealer in Lake Wales sent for replacements and I unwrapped them myself from the original packaging.They were worse than the ones on the bike.In spite of the appearance defects the bike is a joy to ride. I have 2500 mi on it now and still enjoy every time I get on it.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Just bought my vn750 in mid June, it's a ROCKET... Hold on tight
when accelerating, or you'll be thrown off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i bought my 85 vn750 in june and love it the only thing mine had was the acct chain noise so i went to aftermarket manual ones now no more noise love the bike so far though much better then the yami i had

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
today was my first ride and i meen ride on vn750 and first ride on a any motorcycle (well, let's put the 250 at the MSF BRC aside ok?). cant really describe the feeling with words but here is a try - AWESOME!!!

the 750 doesnt feel like "to much of a motorcycle". i find VERY friendly to myself as a begginer - just take it slower in the beginning. and I second what norsseman said - with a twist of a wrist this thing Launches!!!

because of a recomendations on this site i ordered Wesco battery. it is still finding its way through fedex to me. the stock one seems fine for now but then i cant tell the difference yet.

the previos owner swears he lubed the splines. when i have some time i'm still going to check. plenty of info on this site

i'm not sure about your taste (this bike is not exactly classic cruser) but for now im not dissapointed a bit.

BTW, anyone from Chicago area?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Welcome! Great folks around here and a very fun bike to ride. Loads of information and experience on probably any maintenance job you want to know about so just ask. Don't let the size of this bike fool you. These bikes can get up and go, so ride in your comfort zone and be careful. If this is your first bike, I highly recommend taking the rider safety course. All that said, these bikes are a blast to ride, so enjoy!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a 06, I sure as hell wouldnt call it a rocket by any streatch of the imagaination. You want to ride a rocket? Take a spin on an old kawi 750 triple.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
It's a retro rocket compared to the 6 bikes I had before, moving into
bigger bikes now, 750cc is definetly a step up for this old man. What
ever happened to all those triples? did they bite the dust? VN750
was first made in 85', bullet proof. No other bike that I know of
has all three major features of Hydraulic lifters, Shaft drive and
Water cooled...lots of extra weight for the water cooled engine,
making it a little slower than the old triples, but as fast or faster
than most all 750's built today.

Have fun!

·
Registered
553 Posts
These are quicker then most of the 800's out there, but it never made me almost shat myself like my 79 KZ650 that had bigger cams,Mikuni carbs and header on it. Sold that one after 4 months, didn't want to kill myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts