Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2003 Vulcan 750. The bike had set for an unknown amount of time with gas in it. (the guy said 24 months.. but the tags expired in 2009)

I got the bike home shot some brake cleaner up in the carbs and it started right up.

I took and emptied the gas tank. put half a bottle of Seafoam and about 1 gallon of gas in it and dumped some seafom into the carbs. From this point on the Bikle starts right up. I ran it through all the gears while on the stand and took it around the block.

Issue seems to be that it wont idle without the choke.

I took out the Needle Jets and sprayed some B12 Chemtool up in it and also cleaned those jets with it while out. I replaced them and had them set at 2 1/2 turns out from bottoming. Then I reset them to about 1 turn out due to burning rich.

I also had let some B12 Chemtool sit in the carbs for a few hours to get rid of any varnish that may have been inside.

Any ideas to get it to idle without the choke?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,441 Posts

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Did you adjust the idler on the carb, the black knob on the left? Could also be a cracked carb boot from carb to engine leaking air since the bike been sitting some.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
OlDirtyDoc is right- the problem is with your idle circuit. The idle jets are nearly impossible to get out without removing the carbs.

Check your float level first. Remove the idle screws and spray carb cleaner in there. Drain the float chambers and spray carb cleaner into the vent lines. Blow compressed air up through the float drain. Spray carb cleaner through the small holes at the throttle plate.

If this doesn't work, you'll need to remove the carbs for mechanical cleaning. 2 years is a heck of a long time for fuel to sit in the carburetors. As long as you have everything apart, upsize the idle jets one size if you are near sea-level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts