Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which stock bike wins a race from 5mph to 120mph (rolling start in 1st gear)?

This is a loaded question as I own one of each and have run them. Just seeing who knows what. :rockon:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If I pull up, they both win haha

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

This is a loaded question as I own one of each and have run them. Just seeing who knows what. :rockon:
I have no personal experience with the nighthawk ,but if it is a 550 Four ,I'd give it the nod from a rolling start.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts

Loaded question? No , just a silly one...;)

The Nighthawk would clobber the Vulcan. 1/4 mile time for the Honda was about 12.64 @ 102 mph. Thats a full second quciker. Doesn't matter if they be rolling or at a dead stop, the Vulcan can't compete.

The Honda was a good looking bike however.

KM

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

The Nighthawk would clobber the Vulcan. 1/4 mile time for the Honda was about 12.64 @ 102 mph. Thats a full second quciker. Doesn't matter if they be rolling or at a dead stop, the Vulcan can't compete.

KM
We might not be really smart,but we do know inline fours rock,right KM?
And I do like the looks of the Nighthawks .I almost bought a Late model 750 earlier in the year.

·
2,527 Posts
How many people could get their VN750 up to 120mph, that's a better question. I've tried and only got up to around 110. Maybe I need more road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

KM
I wouldn't say 'clobber' as the race was very very close (within a bike's length) from start to finish, with the Nighthawk taking the win. The Nighthawk really pulls hard from 7K RPM up to its 10K redline.

Bout time to get out the sta-bil up here in MN.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I wouldn't say 'clobber' as the race was very very close (within a bike's length) from start to finish, with the Nighthawk taking the win. .
As mentioned in the other thread on Vulcan vrs Marauder....it makes a big difference who is at the helm of each bike....not to mention added accessories and how well each bike is running. Sure , it might have been close when YOU did it, but take two professional drag racers, or at least two folks that have some drag experiance, and things will be different.

Because... the Nighthawk is a full second faster than the Vuclan...in capable hands, and to me that is a "clobber"... at around a hundred miles an hour thats 136 feet per second...meaning the vulcan is about 120 feet BEHIND the Nighthawk when the Honda crosses the finish line .. I call that a clobbering dude.

So if you ran a race with some guy who had a Nighthawk..and you were only a bike length behind him , he must not have been really trying to race you...or just sucked at it.. ;)

KM

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I have a 650 nighthawk in addition to my vulcan, and my nighthawk is faster, has less starting problems, and is more reliable. It is not as comfortable however, and for longer rides, the vulcan gets the nod.

·
Rogue Warrior
130 Posts
I had an '83 Nighthawk 550. Loved that bike! NEVER had ANY issues with it. Needed more length for me and my long legs to be comfy, but it was a great bike.

Easily got to 115, then realllly pushed to get to 120, then it was like hitting a wall.

Was too long ago to truly compare speeds, but it was very quick.

I haven't tried to push my VN to 120mph, but only because I need new Fork Seals.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
The nighthawk has 6 gears, and the ratios are closer resulting in faster acceleration as well as higher top end than the vulcan. The inline 4 has a better torque to hp ratio too. These factors let the nighthawk smoke the vulcan if all other factors are equal. I think the clutch is much quicker too, you can really jump through the gears!

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Im afraid to go fast now so I wouldnt know what the Vulcan can do. Ask me 30 years ago and I probably could have told you. But I bet she would at least do 120. In the quarter I dont know? I find that they seem to accelerate pretty good through 3 gears then seem to flatten out.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I am 56 and still not afraid to go fast. I actually crave it to some degree. (May explain my FJR)

The Vulcan might be able to do 120mph..but that be wound out to the limit with a good wind behind you.

I personally have seen 120 mph on the dial...but do to the speedometer error, that turned out to be 111 mph (Varified by radar).

Theoreticly, if you work out the top speed in gears , the bike does have the ability , on paper , to go 120 mph. Not sure how safe it would be on a slightly used motor.....so...

If you are not sure your bike is in top shape, everything buttoned down, tires new and pressure checked, I would strongly suggest not attempting a land speed record on it.

If all the above check true, you still need to find a safe place to perform your speed run. I would suggest a closed track of course, but a desolate strip of highway with a good 2 mile visibility and ZERO traffic might do the trick, but proceed at your own risk here, I have read of folks hitting furry things out in what looked like an empty desert road.

As mentioned, I like to go fast..(thank you Ricky Bobby) , but only push the upper limits for short spurts when conditions ahead are the most forgiving.

I have seen and honest 136 mph on my FJR , done on a new unused section of highway.. (thank you MoDot) , and would have no problems pushing that someday even if I was 80 years old.

You only live once, and as you get older that iffy bucket list seems less objectionable .....

KM

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Right off the line, I'm able to take my buddies NightHawk 750. But after the first 50-75ft, he passes the Adventure Cycle no problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So if you ran a race with some guy who had a Nighthawk..and you were only a bike length behind him , he must not have been really trying to race you...or just sucked at it.. ;)

KM

ummm.... I was piloting the Nighthawk, my buddy (he is 40lbs lighter) was on my wife's Vulcan...no real need to have dragstrip experience when doing a rolling start.

Only 136mph GPS on your FJR? Must have been a strong head wind that day! :motorcycl

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Only 136mph GPS on your FJR? Must have been a strong head wind that day! :motorcycl
Actually I had about 20 lbs of gear in the tail case, the windscreen all the way up (4" Taller over stock Cee Bailey) and ...my wife sitting behind me.

At 136 the front end started to feel kinda light....so I did not push it any farther....

KM

·
IBEW 915 Electrician
115 Posts
Had my 750 in the mid 90's and my Ninja 500 up over a 100 but didn't push further. Felt more at ease on the 750 at speed than the 500. The 750 cruises 60 at 4K so maybe it could do 120. Cops are a problem when one pursues these kinds of investigations.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts