Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Stebel Nautilus Horn

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  fergy 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a Stebel Nautilus Air Horn on their bike? If you do, where and how did you mount it. Also do you have any pics of the mounting?

TIA

#2 ·
I have a stebel horn (many here do) and LOVE it. Had a friend (that drives a car) mention yesterday how loud it was. Apparently a van had tried moving into my lane and I hit the horn. My friend was in a car behind me (I didn't know she was) and it scared HER!

Needless to say, the van got back into it's lane.

I mounted the horn on the stock mounts. Just bent the tab to make it work.

Do be sure to wire the horn DIRECT to the battery (the wires from the stock horn go to the relay - the ground power wire goes to the stebel - the hot power wire goes to the battery, then to the relay, from the relay to the stebel. The accessory connection WILL blow (yup - I tried). The relay and associated wiring mess fits nicely in the headlight bucket.

Feel free to ask if you need better pictures (I took these at night a while back) or have any questions.

Others have mounted their horns in other ways - I've had the horn mounted this way since march 6 (so around 2500 miles) and have had no issues thus far.

#3 ·
Haven't taken pictures yet but I mounted mine on the left chromed windshield mount of my NS classic shield. It fit perfectly and isn't too noticable, except when you hit the horn button.:eek: I took the windshield mount off and drilled the hole with my drill press, mounted the horn and installed it back on the bike. It took longer to wire it than to mount it. I left my stock horns where they are, just unplugged. I will post pics soon.

#4 ·
Check out Gadget's Stebel Airhorn installation page. If you have done an ear shave you also have several more options for mounting since you can also seperate the compressor from the actual horn. I have mine mounted at the bottom of the fairing with the compressor back where the old surge tank use to be.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/airhorn.htm
Also includes wiring for the relay

#5 ·
Sounds like a far cleaner install than mine.

Yesterday the horn "failed" me for the first time ever. Usually I hit the horn if I'm coming to an intersection and it looks like the driver is about to pull out - or is pulling out in front of me. Every time till today it's stopped people in their tracks (I think the dumb old bitch was deaf). Pulled out in front of me, I hit my brakes and horn hard - wasn't more than 5 feet from her - dumbass never even looked over WHILE horn was going!!!

Threw a bit of a temper tantrum and pulled up next to her - hit the damn horn and yelled *%$#king look before ya go" and I'm not even sure she heard that! Deaf and as blind as a bat apparently!

They really aughta start retesting old farts... my 2 closest calls - not counting the spill that was total(meaning If I hadn't been completely on the ball I would have been creamed) have been dumb deaf blind old farts.

Sorry... just had to rant.

#6 ·
I agree testing should be at least every 2-4 years!

Here's my stebel horn mounted.

Here's a back side shot of the mount. I used a locking nut on the bolt.

Here's a pretty dark shot last night of the front of the bike. Stebel hides pretty good, I mean, it's not standing out like a turd in a punch bowl.

I blasted someone back into their lane yesterday. It was effective!:smiley_th

#7 ·
Here's a pretty dark shot last night of the front of the bike. Stebel hides pretty good, I mean, it's not standing out like a turd in a punch bowl.
Ya mean like mine? :loser1:

I blasted someone back into their lane yesterday. It was effective!:smiley_th
It's a great feeling aint it?

#8 ·
No Curtis! Hope you didn't take that as a slam! Didn't mean it that way. I just wanted to hide mine a little. I toyed with the idea of seperating it and using an air hose, but our bikes are pretty compact under the tank so lucky for me I had the spot there because of the windshield mount.

Yeah, it feels good to know it's there if you need it!

#10 ·
Fergy - I didn't take it as a slam. My bike is a rat. I know it and am not ashamed of it. Any modifications are mainly for functionality - though I'm thinking about doing professors license plate mod (see the Y! group for details) for asthetics. Trust me, if ya offend me, you'll know it! I offend people very well myself <g> but generally feel that if they are so easily offended they shouldn't read my posts or listen to my words <g>.

Foxhound - yes I do need a lens for that turnsignal. The thread on the turnsignal for the screw is pretty buggered up (part is missing) so I haven't bothered ordering a lens. I've been saying since it broke (whenever that spill of mine was - a couple months ago) that I'll replace it with something aftermarket - but haven't yet. If ya have a spare lens I'd gladly take it off your hands. Eventual plans are LED turnsignals front and back something like http://tinyurl.com/277uc8 (a truck light - BIG) but when I do it I'll do all 4 at once...

#12 ·
Just wanted to give another update on the stebel - it really saved my ass today...

I was coming around a somewhat blind corner doing about 50 (speedlimit 40) - and a car started coming out. Apparently I was in lala land because I didn't consciously see the car BEFORE they started turning into the intersection. I hit the horn and held it and the person not only braked but turned hard to avoid coming into my lane. I was of course braking hard and had found a potential escape route - but I probably would have at the least gone down (there wasn't much room to get out of the way and there was no room to stop)- if not hit the car - had it not been for the LOUD stebel.

Another reason to #1 pay more attention while riding and #2 have a stebel!!!
Another reason to have a stebel

#14 ·
That ya do... I may eventually relocate my horn - but needed a place to put it and where I put it is ugly but works... and that's all that counts :boxing: It's pretty impressive that there's only been ONE person so far that hasn't reacted to the horn (old lady who probably didn't have her hearing aid in or something...).

#15 ·
Coming back from my weekend trip with my buddy on his harley about 100 feet behind me, a buzzard was hanging out in the middle of our lane snacking on something. It flew when a car coming the other way went by but was coming back in to settle on the carnage right in front of me when I started hitting my stebel. After about 5 blasts it jumped up and took off. Next town my buddy rolled up next to me and said something about the buzzard and said he could hear me tapping my horn. Again, he was on a harley, not straight pipes, but loud enough, and 100 feet or so behind me and he could hear it. It's always nice to know you have it when you need it!:smiley_th

#16 ·
Stebel with a Chromed Cover

Bikerhiway.com
has the Stebel (have one on my Buell Blast and it is LOUD), with a chrome cover available. It's $124.00, and they call it a Mini Beast Motorcycle Air Horn for Harley Davidson®.. but you should be able to make it work on our bikes... and it's chromed ta boot!

#17 ·
Honestly, now that I know how effective the air horn is, $124 isn't too much to spend for one. I've seen them listed for $109 with the chromed cover. I think J&P cycles. Anyway, it's worth the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.