Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

testing the waters...light bar and possibly LED turn signal boards

14K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  kc2dgq 
#1 · (Edited)
OK...I figured I would post to see if anyone would be interested in either of these projects I am working on.
-------------------------------------------------

my version of a light bar.
They are completely hand made of aluminum stock and brazed together. They are bolt on....using the existing holes that hold the horn bracket on the VN750. All you would need to do is replace the existing bolts with a longer set and add a spacer under the bracket (I used an over sized nut). They will be drilled for the mounting, but not drilled to accept the light pods you are using. I will finish them to a sanded and lightly polished finish.

This is what it will basically look like (without the holes on the square posts):

You can drill the posts to your liking for mounting whatever you decide to use as light pods. They can mount facing up, out to the sides, or underneath the bar as you like.

You can see how mine looks in my album:
Optronics Light install Bracket Ver. 2
http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=470

I am thinking around $55 +shipping (EDIT on 6/17/12) each should cover materials and labor. I am not trying to get rich on this....just offering a bolt on alternative that looks decent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also making LED drop in boards that add running lights to the rear signal stalks, but these will require either replacing the rear stalks with front stalks, or I can tell you how I modified mine and replaced the existing socket with a dual filament socket , or running a wire for the running light from the tail light to the stalks. They can also be used to replace the front turn signals if made with only amber LED's

The boards will be similar to the dynamic cluster type sold online for 60 bucks a pair +shipping (EDIT on 6/17/12). I can probably make them as:
1) only amber turning lights
2) amber turn/amber running lights (for the front)
3) red running/amber turn (for the rear)
4) red running/ amber turn/ high intensity red brake (which requires even more mods to work).

not sure of the price on this yet, but they will be around $60/pair for all of the above except option 4, which would be more.

these are also hand made including the production of the Printed Circuit board.
I will try to post photos of this soon, or check my albums for when I add the photos.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
These are not going to be mass produced and flawless...they may not be perfect, but will function fine.

Anyway....if this is something people are interested in, I would love to hear feedback and suggestions on this thread.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
what about mounting the light bar to the horn bracket itself. (where the horns actually mount) would that snug it up under the light more and cause the driving lights to be inline with the headlight

#3 ·
I think Knifemaker's design was more in tune with that concept.

I suppose you could do that, but the holes at the bottom of the horn bracket are directly into the heavy bracket on the forks themselves.

I didn't go that route because I wanted a "triangle" of lights....and it is much more sturdy where I have it. If the bar were mounted on the top of the horn bracket, I would think it would vibrate more causing the lights to be constantly shaking. I also wanted the plastic cover for the horn bracket to be put back in place when mounted.

The other problem I had with mounting it higher would be that the blinkers would get lost and not be as visible to oncoming traffic. I may even flip my lights over to he hung under the bracket to get more separation from the signal lamps...and a better "triangle" of lights.

#4 ·
bump.....I have one light bar made if anyone wants one.
Is the lack of response due to the proposed pricing?

I was really hoping to get some feedback, so let er rip!

#6 ·
I realize it looks pretty simple, and not made of round bar and chromed....but you can get those for a couple of hundred dollars online.

Round aluminum bar tends to be weak, and steel would require welding and chrome finish to look good....unless you painted it I suppose(not to mention the added weight). which is why I came up with this design.

My intention was to offer an inexpensive bolt on bar for those that do not have the ability to fabricate their own. I think this bar is sturdy as hell and looks decent even if it isn't round bar and chromed....imho.

If anyone is interested, just PM me.

Photos and details about the LED boards are coming soon. I have a set installed on my bike and they are working flawlessly (as is the light bar).

#7 ·
Actually looking at how you mounted your lights and how I mounted mine:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/knifemaker1954/1490874152/

I don't really see much diffrence position wise. Mine seem to be more "triangulated" to me..... I used square aluminum tubing. Saying "Round aluminum bar tends to be weak" is silly, round tubing is very strong... If it's wall thickness is sufficient. Hey they make frames out of tubing don't they? Lol.

I sold my bar for 65 bucks and that included the lights a switch and wiring instructions. I think you'd have more takers if you had lights already installed on the bars. (If you buy them by the case of six you can get the Optronics lights for alot less than Wal-mart sells them.)

And by the way, mounting them to the rubber damped horn mounts actually kept them from shaking due to engine vibration.

You do have a good simple design, I just think you'd sell more if the lights were included.

KM

#8 ·
from Tofer76: "what about mounting the light bar to the horn bracket itself. (where the horns actually mount) would that snug it up under the light more and cause the driving lights to be inline with the headlight "

from KM: "I don't really see much diffrence position wise. Mine seem to be more "triangulated" to me"

I should have specified that if KM had mounted his on top of the bar as opposed to hanging below, it would be more inline with the headlight.

in any event, it is obvious that there seems to be little or no interest in this bar so I am not going to pursue this on this thread any longer. If someone wants info or wants one for themselves, you can PM me and we can negotiate a price that works for you.

As far as the lights go, If anyone is interested in a custom made LED board, contact me as well.

#9 ·
in any event, it is obvious that there seems to be little or no interest in this bar so I am not going to pursue this on this thread any longer.
...dont you dare !!!!!!!!....you come up here one day, FOR the day, and I'll feed ya and we'll work on it...this thing has merit...just because a few pooed it, dont mean squat !!! (they envious !)...just the peanut gallery....quitters dont ride with The Wolf...and that aint happenin with you bro...yer cursed with me forever....lol, like it or not...

#10 ·
I have interest in the bar...been watching the progress/comments. I am definitely interested in light triangulation. Bring the bar on.. !

#11 ·
WilliamTech....PM me if you are interested.

Wolfie....I ain't quitting bro....just taking PM's if they want one.

Design changes are in the works for ones that don't look so "square" and plain looking. They do polish up to a brilliant shine and are sturdy. If they were so easy to make then I suppose everyone would have a version of their own. I am simply offering an economical option to those who can not fabricate their own, or afford an overpriced chrome version that wasn't designed specifically for the VN750.

And I will also send info on the LED boards if anyone is interested.....

By the way...I am still open to constructive criticism and ideas....but don't take that as on open invitation to insult me or anyone who might think these are worth while.

#12 ·
I took a close look at it today, and its truly well designed and engineered...any noob can easily install too..its a great option to have available when one cant afford the $$$ ones...its functional, looks good, and simple to put on...and low priced...what more can one ask for ? (a hot blonde in a bikini to install it for ya mebbe, lol)...

#15 · (Edited)
#17 ·
Dude-

Nice job.. Looks very professional. shoot me a price on a set for my front blinkers when you have time..

Talk you soon man

#18 ·
...looks pro, because he is... ;) ...aircraft avionics ? Yep...ya, LED was a walk in the park...sort of, eh KC ? Good job, bro....:smiley_th 10 yrs earlier, and ya'd be a millionaire !...love the way they spin !!!!!

#19 ·
I'm a little interested in the LED blinkers. I'd like amber/amber for the fronts, and red/amber for the rears. I've been looking at the Dynamic Clusters, but I just haven't decided if I actually want to spend that much on my "cheap starter bike" to fix something that isn't broken.

As with the suggestions for the light bar, you may also want to consider more of a package deal. If you could order enough turn signal assemblies (Bikemasters retail for ~$20 each) and clear lenses to get a discount, you may be able to include them at a good enough price to make the whole kit priced competitively.

You're always going to have complainers that want just the one unique piece out of a whole kit for a cheap as possible, but there's something to be said for having an all-in-one kit that simply plugs into the stock stuff (or as close as possible). I'm thinking a rear running light kit that includes red/amber LEDs with a clear lens on a 3-wire stalk, with an extra bit of wire to hook up the running light to the stock wiring. Just add one connection and the rest is completely Plug 'n' Play for converting to LED running/turn signals in the rear! It really comes down to how much it would cost you for all the components vs. how much people are willing to pay for that convenience. At least it should be relatively easy for you to still sell just the LED boards to satisfy the DIY types, if you do manage to set up a whole kit for the PnP types.

#20 ·
I was considering the "package deal" idea as you and KM suggested, but it really depends on how much interest there is. I simply don't have the cash to purchase a bunch of the light kits and hold onto them until there is a demand. If people are willing to front at least part of the money, or commit to buying and wait for me to fabricate them a set, then I can at least see how many I can buy for a discount. Hence....the post is to see how many members are willing to commit to getting one made for them.

As far as the LED boards are concerned, for now I make them to be plug and play with whatever the existing socket is on YOUR bike. I can give instructions on how to convert your rear stalks to have the third wire (running lights OR brake), or you can just buy new front stalks and swap them out.

There is no easy Plug and Play option for adding the running lights in the rear stalks because the bike requires some modification to get the running light signal to the rear stalks (I'm working on that) , and the lenses have to be changed out to either clear or red. this all adds to the cost.

Keep in mind that I fabricate the PC Boards myself from scratch.
I designed the PCB to accommodate custom fabrication depending on what configuration a member asks for.

I am working out the logistics and costs....so I will post back when I come up with the plan.

Thanks for the input!

#21 ·
If people are willing to front at least part of the money, or commit to buying and wait for me to fabricate them a set, then I can at least see how many I can buy for a discount. Hence....the post is to see how many members are willing to commit to getting one made for them.
Count me in ! .....Like InvisiBill stated below.
I'd like amber/amber for the fronts, and red/amber for the rears.
I'm thinking a rear running light kit that includes red/amber LEDs with a clear lens on a 3-wire stalk, with an extra bit of wire to hook up the running light to the stock wiring.
WilliamTech

#24 ·
I have not had much time to work on these projects...been having too much fun riding and enjoying summer.

I do have a bar assembled (the buyer never got back to me) and another 2 that are partially assembled. If anyone is interested they can PM me.

I will be working on making and stocking the Printed Circuit Boards for the LED boards. I will not assemble them until I get orders for them since they vary so much in as far as they can be red or yellow...single or double circuit....or any other combination.

#25 ·
Winter is approaching so time for projects.....

Light bars;

I have 2 unfinished bars if anyone is interested. PM me.
----------------------------

The LED boards:

Standard front turn signal/running inserts are AMBER super blight LED's.
inner ring of 24 LED's set to half brightness (running light)
outer ring of 24 LED's set to full brightness (blinker)
plug and play with pigtailed 1157 base for stock blinker housing

Rear turn signal inserts:
option 1 - Standard rear: full amber LED board for blinker only. pigtailed with 1147 base

option 2 - turning signal/running light
inner ring of 24 RED LED's set to half brightness (running light)
outer ring of 24 AMBER LED's set to full brightness (blinker)
plug and play with pigtailed 1157 base for stock FRONT blinker housing using a clear or red lens mounted in back.

option 3 - same as option 2 but no connector. this allows you to wire in to your own harness. I can also include a 1147 connector and leave the 3rd wire loose so you can run it wherever you want to tie into the running lights.

PM if interested. asking $45/set

#28 ·
Been researching a way to do this all day at work. Then suddenly i come across a link to here. Who would of thought. Anyone have any experience with completely removing tail light and using only turn signals as running/brake lights?

pm sent too by the way:smiley_th

#29 ·
I have no knowledge of any of the members eliminating the tail light all together and using only running/brake/directionals on the stalks.

It can be done....but is it legal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.