Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Black Plastic Carb Inlet Nipple

23K views 54 replies 21 participants last post by  MSattler 
#1 ·
I was wondereing if anyone has fuel leaks where the fuel line hooks onto the little black plastic inlets on the twin carbs? I have one that drips fuel and i need to know if these are replaceable or do you have to retap for new threads and install a new fitting.
Thanks For All The Wonderful Help Here!

#2 ·
They are replaceable with brass ones from a Harley. I'm not sure of the diameter, but someone will chime in shortly with the correct size. If you do a search on the forum, there are some posts describing how to replace them.

#3 ·
Thanks RakerBill !

I guess its time to head to the ACE harwdware & drill and tap the brass fittings.... ugh !

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
Here are some pictures of the fuel inlets to the carbs that i fixed. It kinda drives ya crazy when you stop your bike and look down and see drip... drip... drip of raw fuel from those black plastic carb fuel line inlets.
The black plastic inlets were cracked on both carbs so i elected to break the inlets off and that then let me have access to the brass factory pressed in fittings.
If your thinking about replacing the inlets then be carefull when taking the brass factory plugs out. I found that by drilling the hole in the brass plug bigger and with a second drill bit even bigger that the plugs will just slide out with a pair of pliers. Caution: when drilling the hole bigger to get the factory plug out, be carefull not to drill to deep or you will push the drill bit out the side of the plate. I measured how deep the factory pressed in plug went then marked how deep to drill with the drill bits. Think about it before drilling to deep.
After the factory pressed plugs were removed i then tapped the holes in the plate to accept a brass fitting, aka from Aceeee Hardware. Hope this helps someone out in the future. Ive received lots of help from the forum here and thought i'd pass on a few pictures of how things were done in hopes it helps someone else in the future.
Good Luck Ridders.
If She Rides Good Then Keep Her - She May Be 27 Years Old But Shes As Wild As An 18 Year Old !
--------------------------------------------------------------
Curious as to whether you used a sealer of any kind on the threads; I'm about to do the same thing to a set of carbs I've got.

Jim

#4 ·
Great pictures man, thanks for the info.

#5 ·
That is a hell of an idea. There was a post on here concerning the inlets, and some from a Harley dealer was solid brass and would slide in. I don't remember which type of carb it was from.

#6 · (Edited)
Half the fitting is already brass.
Why the H3LL didn`t Ma Kaw make the whole fitting from brass in the first place, instead of bastardizing it with the plastic nipple?

No need to answer, I already know the answer.

BEAN COUNTERS. :mad:
Somebody in a suit figured they cound save a few cents on every unit made, and it adds up to a few hundred $$ on the company financial statement at year end!! :doh:

Oh yeah, thanks for the pictures and the idea OldHippie. This is just the type of repair I might try if the need arises. :smiley_th

#7 ·
Your So Right !

:)Yeppers The Bean Counters At Work For Sure. But, those drips & more drips of gas from the inlets finally got to me,, had to do something about it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
If She Rides Good Then Keep Her - She May Be 27 Years Old But Shes As Wild As An 18 Year Old !

#8 ·
Here ya go...

Here ya go Hip....

http://www.cv-performance.com/Carburetor_Parts-CVP_Fuel_Max_Inlet_Elbow.html

The fittings btw are pressed, so new ones have to be pressed back in again (bench vise or Jorgensen clamp would be fine). My one carb was already done the "hardware store" way...personally, I dont like it. The CV fitting is specifically designed for the Keihin, most harley dealers have em, and they also have a stock (just like ours) for about $5 less. But when the snow here gets over 2 feet this winter, gonna pull my carbs for a rebuild and add the CV to the remaining fitting.

Reactions: 1wyatt2
#9 ·
Hey Wolfie thats great ! Thanks for passing on the good info, ive bookmarked it !! Fellow Vulcan riders allways comes up with the "Best". Looks like it might be a close tolerance fit item. I bet a person could drop those new brass fittings into some dry ice for a while then they would just slip into the carbs with no problems, i.e. no press needed just a small tap would do! Learned that widdle trick installing valve seats into aircraft engine jugs (cylinder heads). Im sure your post will help out some other fellow ridders to !!!

#10 ·
Hey Wolfie thats great ! Thanks for passing on the good info, ive bookmarked it !! Fellow Vulcan riders allways comes up with the "Best". Looks like it might be a close tolerance fit item. I bet a person could drop those new brass fittings into some dry ice for a while then they would just slip into the carbs with no problems, i.e. no press needed just a small tap would do! Learned that widdle trick installing valve seats into aircraft engine jugs (cylinder heads). Im sure your post will help out some other fellow ridders to !!!
If you don`t have easy access to dry ice, try hitting it with a few little shots of liquid propane from your 20 lb cylinder on the BBQ.
The tank feeds vaporized propane when standing upright, but you get liquid if you turn it upside down.
A hose without a regulator is needed to direct the liquid stream.
Propane vaporizes at minus 44*F, so don`t let it hit your skin!

#11 ·
Great idea there HOSS, sounds like ya been down that road a few times yourself. I prefer the ice :) No black flash from that, but, i will surely remb the propane trick to! Could probably just put in a freezer over night to, that works also. Lets see if others chime in with their thoughts also.

#12 ·
Great idea there HOSS, sounds like ya been down that road a few times yourself. I prefer the ice :) No black flash from that, but, i will surely remb the propane trick to! Could probably just put in a freezer over night to, that works also. Lets see if others chime in with their thoughts also.
Yeah, a piece of brass that small would probably shrink to the minimum size with just a few minutes in the freezer. :)

#14 ·
The only sealer i used was teflon tape in case i want to remove the brass again so it will come out easier. Good luck on the refit!

#20 ·
Hey ?

The inlet to the carb, if properly cleaned (not sanded or mechanically bored) should accept the new fitting w/o issues. Its TAPERED. And I like the freezer idea. And actually, hitting the fitting with some starting spray (either) will lower the temp considerably too, for a snug fit. Petcock outlets are tapered as well, and mine was leaking a bit on one side, so I backed it out and put a light coating of JB Weld towards the outboard 1/2. But I also knew exactly which position I wanted it in. Dunno if Id do similar to the carb. My other carb has a threadded brass fitting installed with plumbers tape. Tight and no leakes, but I bet gas eats thru it after awhile. I personally would go with no sealant whatsoever and use the taper as its meant.

#21 ·
Yes i used the teflon tape for a sealer instead of using a liquid harder of any kind. As far as ever removing the brass fittings again, i dont know if i ever would, but, ya never know :)
I just know that those little brass fitting was a bummer to get out, didnt want to drill the brass out to far. Suppose ya could drop some propane or other cooler liquid on the fittings to remove them, but they are a Tight Tight fit. As far as being tapered, i didnt take that close of a look at them, they could be tapered. NOTE TO SELF: Find the old fittings and check for a taper!
Im sure other ridders will chime in with another way to fix the inlet fuel leaks too. The Hardly fittings seems like a good idea to, had i of known of them i probably would have went with the Hardly fittings. I can hindsight 100%

#22 ·
Just BTW

They sell removal tools commercially, but you can DIY easily. Once the plastic is snapped off and just the brass nipple is left, you can tap the inside of it to fit a bolt. Before inserting the bolt, thread on a nut and washer, and a socket for a sleave, then thread it in, and tighten the nut...Voila ! "El Cheepo" puller !
Not my idea btw, saw it at a Harley forum for removal from CVK40 carbs.

#27 · (Edited)
They sell removal tools commercially, but you can DIY easily. Once the plastic is snapped off and just the brass nipple is left, you can tap the inside of it to fit a bolt. Before inserting the bolt, thread on a nut and washer, and a socket for a sleave, then thread it in, and tighten the nut...Voila ! "El Cheepo" puller ! Not my idea btw, saw it at a Harley forum for removal from CVK40 carbs.
Here is a safer way to remove the brass plug.

http://www.cv-performance.com/fuel-elbow-replacement/
Haven`t looked at this thread for a while and just realized that Wolfie`s explanation for a DIY puller is illustrated in The DEUCE`s link. :smiley_th

#23 ·
YES ! Another cool tip ! Thanks i will have to do that to the #2 Vulcan i purchase! Noted !!

#25 ·
Yeppers, that one works too !

#26 ·
Have not seen you in a while WesTex!

Glad to see you out and about!

Cheers!

#28 ·
Yeppers, it sure is, same thing...I just used a socket and shorter bolt is all.:smiley_th
...dint have no need to buyt a pipe nipple, had the sockets... ;)

I used a hex head bolt too instead of a slotted screw. Its whatever was layin' around, lolol...

#31 ·
Definitely the cheapest around by ten bucks. I got the ones from CVP for $21 plus shipping. Got them in easily with the freezer trick.

Just wanted to say thanks to Ol Hippie for those awesome pics! I thought the previous owner had shoved the brass piece in to the inlet hole, little did I know Kawasaki had a really cheap design idea. Read how u got yours off and pretty much did the same. I put vice grips on it, locked them in to a bench vice and twisted and turned the inlet outta the hole.

#33 ·
Good thread my turn to replace those sasa frasin plastic fuel feeds.

#34 ·
#35 · (Edited)
After Market Fuel Elbow Carby Feed.

Not all Harley shops have them,i just got a half plastic half brass, Custom Chrome brand, smaller Id feed, might try another Harley Shop tomorrow.
I have attached pictures of the old and new parts.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.