Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Low RPM hesitation (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9941-low-rpm-hesitation.html)

drguitarum2005 02-26-2009 06:46 PM

Low RPM hesitation

I have a 2002 vn50, all stock. Other than some difficulty in starting the bike (MF battery + iridium plugs helped a little), its always run perfectly fine. It has sat outside, covered, for the past 2-3 weeks and I just went out to take it on a ride. Once I started it with no choke, it idled a little at 1100 and then sputtered and died. I started it with half choke and it immediately ran way up to 3000 rpms, so I backed off the choke. It dropped down to its idle at 1100 and sputtered and died again. I started it once more and kept on the throttle until it warmed up and would idle fine. I kept messing with the idle adjustment once it was warmed up but ended up adjusting the idle back to where it was at 1100 rpms or so. If I get on the throttle, it sputters and hesitates real bad for a few seconds then the RPMs suddenly kick up (to where they should be at that throttle position) and it's fine. When I let off the throttle, it stays up at around 3000 RPMs for about 5-10 seconds before finally backing down to idle 1100. I went for a few laps around campus to see if maybe it just needed to ride for a while, but on all my takeoffs, following the procedure i've been doing for the past 3-4 months, it would hesitate and sputter below 2000 RPMs and then finally kick up. If I slowed down, in gear, to under 2000 RPMs, it would start sputtering again. I also smell fuel around my bike while idling (cant tell while riding, too much wind), more than usual.

I always suspected the carbs are dirty but I have no space or time to do carbs myself as I've never done them before.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I hate to try to scrape up the money to put it in the shop to get the carbs cleaned (and rebuilt?) but i might have to...

fergy 02-26-2009 07:08 PM

I would head straight to autozone and get you a couple cans of seafoam. Dump about half a can in a full tank of gas and run the bike for a few minutes to get it into the carbs and let it sit at least overnight. Then see if it starts to get better. It sounds like you have a stuck float and might be flooding your bike with too much fuel. Give the seafoam a try before you do anything else! It's a miracle in a can!

drguitarum2005 02-26-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fergy (Post 85655)
I would head straight to autozone and get you a couple cans of seafoam. Dump about half a can in a full tank of gas and run the bike for a few minutes to get it into the carbs and let it sit at least overnight. Then see if it starts to get better. It sounds like you have a stuck float and might be flooding your bike with too much fuel. Give the seafoam a try before you do anything else! It's a miracle in a can!

I spoke way too soon. I came back up to my room and saw my 1/4 can of seafoam sitting on my desk and went and dumped it in. It started to run better and after I fixed my idle (i had messed with it so much that by the time the bike was running fine, the idle was too high) all problems were gone. it really i a miracle in a can!

i went on a 20 mile ride just now to a farther pepboys to get more seafoam (for the future) and also got some new gas and all seems to be running as normal. as usual, thanks!