Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Bike won't start!

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kinbroke 
#1 ·
Since cool whather has started, my '02 750 will NOT start if I even look at the throttle and I dare not choke it. It seems to flood, just because it is cool whether. I just got the bike 1,000 miles ago (current mileage 4550) and even during late summer the bike would crank, but I had to wait 2-3 minutes before rolling throttle down. If I did not wait these 2-3 minutes bike would go dead. But at lease I could get it cranked eventually, but not now, since the temp are around 40-45. Battery is good to go, plugs are clean and wires are good. Any suggestions. I just joined forum and hope this is the right place for thread. Thanks

#2 ·
Let's see. do you have spark? Pull one of the plugs and ehn you are cranking it, ground it on the block. Did you check you air cleaners? Mine were plugged after only 1200 miles of back road dust. Make sure you are getting fuel. Pull the plugs again and se if they are wet.

If that doesn't work you might need to check the ignition system to make sure you are getting enough spark.

Hope this helps

Spence

#3 ·
Spark good on all 4. When bike won't crank I have examined plugs and they are WET with fuel. If I wait 10 mintues and NOT touch throttle or choke, the bike probably will crank. The air filters are clean. It seems to be flooding, but why? I had a Concours and it also was hard to crank. Any suggestion I will appreciate. Thanks

#5 ·
Battery is good, fire on all plugs (grounded to crankcase, but plugs are not gray, but are black) and a good fuel supply, but will not crank with cool weather! This afternoon I added SeaFoam to tank (3.5 gallon tank 1 oz of SeaFoam per gallon) and rode about 50 miles. It seemed to run better, but will see tomorrow morning about cranking when cool (50 degrees). Thanks for your input.

#6 ·
SeaFoam IS WONDERFUL! Majority of problems have dissappeared.

Question, how do you adjust the choke, since it apprears the "choke" is just a plunger that injects fuel. In the Clymer manual chapter two page 42 "Engine is Difficult to Start" item b...Improperly adjusted choke is one one the possilbe malfunctions for a Difficult to Start Engine
But I can not find HOW to adjust choke...any help. Thanks

#7 ·
I had these same issues with a decent battery once the weather turned cold. It seemed like once I missed the first golden opportunity, the engine just would not start. Usually hours later I could get it started (probably somewhat warmer outside at that point). Although the battery seemed fine, I nevertheless put in the Yuasa MF battery, and now my husband, who had felt it didn't need one, is a believer, too, because the bike starts great. This bike is also touchy about cold starts - appears to have to be in neutral with the clutch not engaged. Can start it with the clutch in after riding it a bit.

We also found that the choke pulled all the way toward the rider is not at its highest revving point - at least on this particular bike. I noticed this one day while it was warm out - when I pushed it back a bit toward the Off position (slightly away from the rider), the engine speeded up. Anyway, it's starting now without the choke being touchy. No more putting on tons of clothes in 20 deg. F. temperatures and not being able to go anywhere! (stamped foot a few times!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.