Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Center Stand Methods Anyone? (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9620-center-stand-methods-anyone.html)

LibertyPilot 01-20-2009 12:03 PM

Center Stand Methods Anyone?

Ok so I live by myself and as such, need to get a tad creative when doing certain things around the house. I got pretty good at listening to that little voice in my head that says, "Nah dude, you're probably gonna die if you go any further." That being said, I wanted to wrench on Sable the other day but couldn't figure a way to get her on the center stand all by my onesies. I tried pinning the stand to the concrete with my left foot, gripping the rear tire with both hands from behind and pulling up and back at the same time. I know I can move her weight by myself but she felt really unstable. Any suggestions?

lance328 01-20-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyPilot (Post 81867)
Ok so I live by myself and as such, need to get a tad creative when doing certain things around the house. I got pretty good at listening to that little voice in my head that says, "Nah dude, you're probably gonna die if you go any further." That being said, I wanted to wrench on Sable the other day but couldn't figure a way to get her on the center stand all by my onesies. I tried pinning the stand to the concrete with my left foot, gripping the rear tire with both hands from behind and pulling up and back at the same time. I know I can move her weight by myself but she felt really unstable. Any suggestions?

Face bike on left side, left hand on left handle bar grip, right hand on seat rail grab bar, push down on centerstand with right foot while lifting seat rail and pulling back on handle bar. put most of you weight on the stand. :smiley_th

wkrizan 01-20-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance328 (Post 81868)
Face bike on left side, left hand on left handle bar grip, right hand on seat rail grab bar, push down on centerstand with right foot while lifting seat rail and pulling back on handle bar. put most of you weight on the stand. :smiley_th

Yup....and I can get it down with wearing sandles even.

flitecontrol 01-20-2009 01:02 PM

Was hoping someone else would be having this same problem and post the question. LP, I have trouble doing it with help! Bike always felt unstable and like it might go down. Will try this method when I get home.

Live Long and Prosper 01-20-2009 01:17 PM

I've never been able to get mine to lift up on the center stand either. I'm not a small guy and my job is quite physical with a lot of heavy lifting. So I'm not a Barny Fife type of character.
Yet I've never come close to getting it up on the stand. Then again, I've not really has a serious reason to want it on the stand either. Whenever I've tried it was just for giggles and not for a real need. Perhaps I haven't had enough motivation to do it yet.
So to this point, the center stand has just been a thingy hanging down from underneath.

FlaRider 01-20-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live Long and Prosper (Post 81872)
I've never been able to get mine to lift up on the center stand either. I'm not a small guy and my job is quite physical with a lot of heavy lifting. So I'm not a Barny Fife type of character.
Yet I've never come close to getting it up on the stand. Then again, I've not really has a serious reason to want it on the stand either. Whenever I've tried it was just for giggles and not for a real need. Perhaps I haven't had enough motivation to do it yet.
So to this point, the center stand has just been a thingy hanging down from underneath.

Lifting the bike onto the centerstand can be a huge challenge the first time. I know!! Here are a couple of tips I used with my Vmax and GoldWing which were a lot heavier than the Vulcan:

1. Follow the procedure offered by Lance: ""Face bike on left side, left hand on left handle bar grip, right hand on seat rail grab bar push down on centerstand with right foot ----- (add a step here) while lifting seat rail and pulling back on handle bar. put most of you weight on the stand""

Add this step: while you push down on centerstand with right foot carefully and slowly tilt the bike away from you until you feel the right leg of the centerstand touch the ground to match the left one. This can be un-nerving but it works! The right leg of the center stand will prevent the bike from falling on its right side. This ensures the bike is flat and level as you lift it onto the centerstand.

2. Prior to attempting to lift the bike onto the center stand ride the rear wheel only onto a 12" piece of 2" x 6." If you wish you can cut one end of the wood at an angle/bevel to make it more like a mini-ramp. Using this piece of wood will give you more leverage and make it easier to lift the bike. Caution if you're short: riding onto the wood will make your bike 2" taller.

3. Wear supportive boots/shoes with good grip! Leave the side stand down as a safety measure. Have someone with you to steady the bike if anything goes awry.

I'm 5'7" 150 lbs, 67 years old, not too strong and this works for me. Once you do it the first time everything will click and it will become easier.

Good luck!

kanuck69 01-20-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkrizan (Post 81870)
Yup....and I can get it down with wearing sandles even.

I can do it bare foot! lol

Seriously, just like they said. Once you do it you'll be like :doh:
5'10" 195lbs. ( not muscle:) )

hyperbuzzin 01-20-2009 01:52 PM

It doesn't take alot of effort to get the bike on the center stand. Just gotta get the hang of it.

HERE is a video of getting the Vulcan on the center stand.

LibertyPilot 01-20-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance328 (Post 81868)

I'm pretty sure I get it, I just want to make sure before I try it. What's the "seat rail grab bar"?

Nevermind, I saw the vid. That doesn't seem too tough, I just hope I don't push her over tryin' it.

Thanks fellaz

kanuck69 01-20-2009 01:54 PM

The rail your rear turn signals are attached to.

hyperbuzzin 01-20-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyPilot (Post 81877)
I just hope I don't push her over tryin' it

When you first get the legs of the center stand to touch the ground, rock the bike side to side a little, to be sure both legs are touching the ground.

wkrizan 01-20-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanuck69 (Post 81875)
I can do it bare foot! lol

Show off!!!:boxing:

lance328 01-20-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live Long and Prosper (Post 81872)

In you case since you don't use it it would be a great place to hang a gremlin bell. :smiley_th

lance328 01-20-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyPilot (Post 81877)
I'm pretty sure I get it, I just want to make sure before I try it. What's the "seat rail grab bar"?

Nevermind, I saw the vid. That doesn't seem too tough, I just hope I don't push her over tryin' it.

Thanks fellaz

Before you try it can you sign a waiver for me stating that I am not responsible for any damage you may incurr? LOL After a couple of times you will find it taks little effort. :smiley_th

dutter 01-20-2009 02:55 PM

wow...you guys need your wheaties...lol...only kidding. its all in the legs

flitecontrol 01-20-2009 02:58 PM

If I ever get to where I can do it solo, I could probably do it nude, but I ain't gonna!

kanuck69 01-20-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flitecontrol (Post 81888)
If I ever get to where I can do it solo, I could probably do it nude, but I ain't gonna!

Thanks for NOT showing that off!https://www.vn750.com/photopost/data/567/lmao.gif

weh44att 01-20-2009 03:07 PM

Libertypilot I feel like you do, I still do not feel comfortable with lifting the bike. One way to cheat the process, is at least at home, I but a one inch or more board under the rear tire. Roll the rear tire up on the board, put down the side kick stand, and get off the bike. Then pull the bike up onto the center stand, less weight and easier to control.
I never feel confident in getting the bike up without the board. After the bike is up the you can pull the board from under the rear tire.

flitecontrol 01-20-2009 03:07 PM

Some things the world ain't ready for!

kanuck69 01-20-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weh44att (Post 81895)
Libertypilot I feel like you do, I still do not feel comfortable with lifting the bike. One way to cheat the process, is at least at home, I but a one inch or more board under the rear tire. Roll the rear tire up on the board, put down the side kick stand, and get off the bike. Then pull the bike up onto the center stand, less weight and easier to control.
I never feel confident in getting the bike up without the board. After the bike is up the you can pull the board from under the rear tire.

Reverse of that is a big help for rear wheel removal. Put the board under the center stand & it gives the rear wheel more clearance for an easier removal. Axle nuts will clear the exhaust.

niterider 01-20-2009 03:30 PM

That was a real challenge for me, but I finally got to where I can work it. I am 5'3" at 120 lbs. I use both hands on the rail the foot on the stand and pull up and back at the same time. Oh yes I put all 120 on the stand. I take a break afterwards. LOL

LibertyPilot 01-20-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance328 (Post 81884)
Before you try it can you sign a waiver for me stating that I am not responsible for any damage you may incurr? LOL After a couple of times you will find it taks little effort. :smiley_th

I'm actually not that concerned with hurting myself so much as hurting Sable...I heal! LOL!!

And for all the hotshots out there tryin' it naked, can I please just take your word for it? Really there's no need to prove that one, I believe you already.

I feel like I'll be alright, I'm 5' 9" 185 pounds and in good shape. I can always call my twin to stand by while I try it a few times. He's usually lookin' for an excuse to get away from the wife anyway.

Thanks all for helping out and gettin' it done yet again,
LP

stvnsn78 01-20-2009 05:30 PM

Thanks for the explanations and the discussion on this. It has had me wondering, too. This help and information makes this a great site.

bigrepp61 01-20-2009 05:35 PM

only thing i can stress is to make sure both feet of the stand are on the ground before you try.... it makes a whole world of difference..... good luck man.. once you do it its easy as cake..

Ironman 01-20-2009 11:12 PM

Here's something I wrote up a while ago.

How I get my bike onto the center stand:

I face the side of the bike so that my left hand can hold the grip and right hand can grab the bar located under the seat. I make sure thereís a couple of feet clearance behind the bike if Iím in the garage. Right foot presses the center stand down. As the left pad of the stand touches, I push the bike up until I can feel the right pad touch down and I press a little harder on the center stand. Up until now, everythingís been going nice and controlled, one-step-at-a-time. Now I take it up a notch. Itís leap-of-faith time. In one movement, I put most, if not all of my weight on the center stand and pull up with my right hand. The bike goes up and back ending with a little skid to a stop. My left hand doesnít really pull hard on the grip; itís just there to make me feel better I guess. I rely on the right foot, leg, arm, hand and mostly my overweight status to get the job done.

How I get my bike off the center stand:

If I left the side stand down after I put the bike up on the center stand, I raise it. I get on the bike the way I always do. Grab the handle bars and the hand brake, left foot on the peg, lean over the handle bars, right leg up and there I am. I donít tempt fate by throwing my leg over the top, just nice and smooth. I donít know how much momentum it would take to tip the bike over to the right while getting on, and I donít want to find out. Anyway, I grab the clutch, lean back and launch myself forward, push on the handle bar and the bike rolls off the center stand. As soon as I feel it start to drop, I grab the brake; I already have both feet out to balance myself.

LibertyPilot 01-21-2009 09:29 AM

Good thinkin' Ironman, maybe I should've asked how to get the bike OFF the center stand once its on there, especially since I'll apparently be doing this by myself from time to time.

Thanks for the good info man...

drguitarum2005 01-21-2009 05:28 PM

To get the bike OFF the center stand I just hop on the bike (stradle, like i'm riding) and use my feet and a little momentum to roll the bike forward. it rolls off the center stand no problem.

i had trouble putting it ON the center stand the first time and I discovered i was trying to lift WAY too much from the grab bar with my hand and wasn't pushing down on the center stand lever much at all. if you put most of your weight on the center stand lever with your foot and pull the grab bar, it'll go up. Have a buddy stand on the other side if you're nervous about it falling over. Definitely make sure BOTH center stand feet are touching the ground before you put weight on it.

Mastertech 01-23-2009 10:03 PM

I use an assistant, i am un able to do mine by myself, not very strong, sometimes i will run it down the driveway in backwards motion, only to find the stand skids along and over rides my weight.

OlHossCanada 01-24-2009 12:35 AM

I`m a big guy, 6 feet tall and #300, and I had trouble the first few times I tried to use the centerstand. However, as others have said, once you get it up a few times it becomes a lot easier. I don`t think size and weight is near as big a factor in getting the bike up as is your technique. Keep trying, you will get the hang of it.

drguitarum2005 01-24-2009 01:19 AM

its all aobut putting ALL of your weight on the center stand lever with your foot. i feel like someone who weighs 130 pounds could do it if they know what theyre doing ya know?

Fire Ant 01-24-2009 10:23 AM

I'll echo what others have said here. It's more about making sure that you put the majority of your weight on your right foot (pressing down on the center stand) and making sure that *both* feet of the center stand are on the ground. When you first take hold of the bike (left hand on the grip, right hand on the grab bar) and press down on the center stand, odds are that only the left foot of the stand will be on the ground. It's a little bit of a leap of faith at first to push the bike *away* from you so that the right foot of the center stand makes contact with the ground. Once both feet of the center stand are on the ground, move all of your weight onto the foot pressing down on the center stand and lift up and a little to the rear with your right hand. The bike should come up and backwards a little bit onto the stand.

I've found that this is also a lot easier if you park the bike facing slightly uphill (I always look for the gas pump where I can do that).

Getting it off the center stand is as easy as hopping onto the bike and rocking it forward.

--FA

Mastertech 01-24-2009 06:04 PM

I'll try that, i have been using my right foot., thankyou fire.

flitecontrol 01-24-2009 08:34 PM

And you should keep using your right foot! Fire Ant was talking about the left foot [I]of the center stand[I].

LibertyPilot 01-27-2009 09:26 AM

Ok, I tried it and it worked like a charm. With this sites track record I'm not surprised. I put my right foot on the center stand, left hand on left handle bar and right hand under the seat. I gently pushed the bike away from me while stretching my left foot out behind me to balance the bike. Once I felt the right foot of the center stand touch the ground I pushed down with all my weight on the center stand and up she went with no complaints. Then I sat on her, coaxed her forward, she jumped off the stand and I applied the front brake. I've done it a few times since then and you're all correct, the technique requires a little faith at first but then you get used to it, I have no problem now. I have a bit more peace of mind on the road now too. I don't fear her braking down 100 miles away and me not being able to work on her out there. My tool box is full and I can get her on the center stand my self so I should be good. Provided its something I can fix of course. Anyway, thanks yet again for all the valuable help.

kanuck69 01-27-2009 09:34 AM

hyperbuzzin 01-27-2009 09:41 AM

Good to hear ya got it figured out :smiley_th

One thing I always do, after coming down from the centerstand, is to double check and be sure the stand is completely up.

jabarry 01-27-2009 01:30 PM

I've put mine up on the center stand many times, after learning the proper technique from a video a year or two ago. Now, what are the gotchas if you are going to put it up on the centerstand on a board to change the tires... spline lube... etc? SOP or does it require a different trick or some help.

Fire Ant 01-27-2009 07:15 PM

Good job! Glad you have the hang of it now. I put it on the center stand every time I fill up for gas, just b/c I feel like I can get more gas into the tank that way.

--FA

RogerGA 01-27-2009 07:52 PM

LibertyPilot - Hear this - So I am reading this thread and Im wondering does my bike even have a center stand --lol - but true - ever since I had her I have always used the side stand. So I do see she had a center stand and I try my skills on her - man I tell you when I Pushed the center stand down - My heart is pounding as I move her away from me wondering did the other side of the stand touch or is she gonna take a dump , I chickened out and Pulled her back towards me hmmm I shore up some more courage and try it all over again - I feel both legs of the stand in place and I put all my little weight on the stand ---hmmm Now I almost feel I am gonna take a dump along with her - so I stopped - I realised what I was doing wrong - My handle bar was totally to the left - I tried all over again but this time I ensured my handle was straight as well - and wooo I got her on the center stand

hyperbuzzin 01-27-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerGA (Post 82639)
....and wooo I got her on the center stand

Way to go !! Just takes a little practice!! http://planetsmilies.net/party-smiley-9534.gif