Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/)
-   -   Sell it or ride it with no Stator ? (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/87658-sell-ride-no-stator.html)

Vulcanlover 08-15-2016 12:19 PM

Sell it or ride it with no Stator ?

Hi everyone,

Just joined, just bought a great bike, '85 700. The stator is out, I am gonna sell it, but if no one will give me $900, I am going to keep it and ride it with no stator.

I have two questions real quick, please.

1. Has anyone put on a headlight switch, and if so, where is the best place to wire it in ?

2. My bike will go around 75 miles with a fully charged, new, lead acid battery and no stator before it dies. Has anyone else had experience riding their bike alot with no stator and if so what would be the best battery choice. I am thinking of putting a deep cycle battery in it, turning off the headlight, and just keeping it on a battery tender when not riding.

Thanks for any help, and have a great day :P

Spockster 08-15-2016 12:37 PM

Answered 1 and 2 in the other post, but can give more details on #1 if you're serious about a switch.

If you can ride mostly above 35mph, that usually keeps the fan from running, which draws a lot of power.

OleDirtyDoc 08-15-2016 01:37 PM

39 Attachment(s)

Vulcan2000 08-15-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcanlover (Post 1119170)
Hi everyone,

Just joined, just bought a great bike, '85 700. The stator is out, I am gonna sell it, but if no one will give me $900, I am going to keep it and ride it with no stator.

I have two questions real quick, please.

1. Has anyone put on a headlight switch, and if so, where is the best place to wire it in ?

2. My bike will go around 75 miles with a fully charged, new, lead acid battery and no stator before it dies. Has anyone else had experience riding their bike alot with no stator and if so what would be the best battery choice. I am thinking of putting a deep cycle battery in it, turning off the headlight, and just keeping it on a battery tender when not riding.

Thanks for any help, and have a great day :P

Very confusing: "Just joined" correct; "just bought" I believe you said that was last summer so you have had the bike over a year; your forum name is Vulcanlover and yet you want to sell the bike already even though you have been wrenching on bikes all your life and are past 50 years old when it seems to only need a stator replacement (that wasn't checked out prior to purchase). You really didn't suspect anything when the bike was running when you arrived and had a "flat" so you couldn't ride it? The PO was clever but used an old tatic to unload it.