Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   windshield (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/8095-windshield.html)

dman 08-07-2008 10:41 PM

windshield

Guy help me out here,just got a 1995 vulcan 750 and was going to put on a windshield but I have heard conflicting opinions about how it affects the handling.Could you guys weigh in from experience.Thank much

Scootergptx 08-07-2008 10:52 PM

The Honda I had before my Vulcan didn't have a windshield. Ok for riding around town, but on the highway, I'll take the windshield. In the 3 weeks I've had the bike, I've got 3 new spider cracks in it. While that kinda sucks, I figure if those rocks hit hard enough to do that, how would have that felt without it?

My parents had a few Goldwings that they rode all over North America. They got more chips while riding in Texas than any of the other places combined.

If you get a flat windshield, they tend to feel the wind from the side (gusts, truck passing) than the curved ones.

Scootergptx 08-07-2008 10:53 PM

And welcome to the forums dman. :)

02vulcan750 08-07-2008 10:56 PM

I ride with either a half or no helmut, so a windshield is a must for me. i have noticed no affects to teh handeling but have noticced less bugs and what not on my shirt. its a prefernce thing, they do take a little timeto get used to when you haven't had one before or in a while.

rubyrick 08-07-2008 11:07 PM

I have a small windshield that covers my chest, and when it rains I can duck behind it to keep the rain off my face. I wouldn't mind a larger windshield that protects my face while riding normally upright, but I love the feel of the wind on my face. My windshield hasn't pulled or dragged me even when passing large trucks or going up on windy overpasses. It does seem to make highway driving smoother as I don't feel the full rush of the wind on my chest.

Also, check out this thread for more input.

dman 08-07-2008 11:19 PM

thanks

Thanks, I was leaning toward one of the curved windshields.Thanks for the replys

Knifemaker 08-07-2008 11:30 PM

Anything you add to your bike can "effect handling"..the key is adapting to it. Riding with a passenger effects handling much more than a windscreen. If they were such bad things they would not be selling so many of them. Gold wings have huge fairings , bags , and tall shields, but seem to ride just fine....

I will never own a bike without a windscreen of some sort...

KM

robardin 08-07-2008 11:52 PM

In my experience, windshields affect handling in a positive way. By deflecting wind from my chest I don't feel like I'm holding on to the handlebars just to keep from getting blown off.

At the same time I don't care for high windshields. I don't want to be looking through it like a car windshield, I want one that goes about chest high as a deflector, where I look over the top but can tuck down behind it if there's a draft. Ideally, the top of the shield comes up to just under my chin. Looking through a rain-streaked plexiglass shield is no fun, especially when it has no wipers; and even more true for night riding if it's at all tinted.

99vulcan750 08-07-2008 11:57 PM

I like my National cycle street shield EX.. if you are shorter that 5'11", go for a shorter shield though... I m 5'11" and it's just about right... still a tad too small unless I sit up real straight...

Montipelier Misfits 08-08-2008 08:35 PM

I also just got a National Cycle Street Shield EX, switched over from a V Force shield put on by PO. The V Force was okay with a full face helmet, but I like to wear my half helmet and the wind would hit my helmet just right and rattle my head making it hard to see at interstate speeds no matter what position I put it so I went with the taller natioanl cycle shield and so far like it. Bought it from CruiserCustomizing.com.

http://cruisercustomizing.com/detail...aki_Vulcan_750