Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Wheels, Suspension and Brakes (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/)
-   -   Avon or metzlers ?? (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/6685-avon-metzlers.html)

mymark66 04-26-2008 08:46 PM

Avon or metzlers ??

OK, putting new skins on my girlfriends vn750, was wondering about the venoms, I have metz 880's on my vulcan and they are great, so there is no issue there, just wondering about the venoms, and if anyone here has first hand experience with them?, oh yeah, also going with 170/80-15 on rear and 110/90-19 on front, any comments, opinions?, thanx in advance-mark

theauhawk 04-27-2008 04:31 PM

I think you'll find that the Avons are indeed good--but the Metzelers are better still.

When I was shopping for new tires for my VN750 last month, I noticed that it was very difficult to find any comments elsewhere on the internet that were less than totally positive about the Metzeler ME880s. They are highly favored by the BMW touring bike crowd. And they are OEM equipment on some BMW model bikes.

Thus, if the finances are there, I would say to go with the Metzelers.

Also: to get the maximum mileage out of these tires as advertised, you guys will need to religiously keep the air pressure at Metzeler's recommended levels.

Crobins365 04-27-2008 04:42 PM

I've got Metzlers on McK and I like 'em a lot. And agree with hawk - gotta keep the air pressure up to sidewall specs, not like some other mfgr's tires. But they handle really, really nicely.

Knifemaker 04-27-2008 05:18 PM

Just to make this harder for you, I'll say that I know of several owners that run the Venoms and say they are great and stick better than the Metzler
880's.

If it were me, I'd go for whatever I got a good price on, and ..get a 110 front and, as reported elsewhere, a 170/80 for the rear....

KM

lancer19 04-28-2008 02:00 AM

I went from stock tires to the Venoms and I really like them. I also went with the oversized for front and rear which does seem to give it a more stable ride. I haven't tried the Metz yet so can't really give you a comparison.

curtis97322 04-28-2008 10:02 AM

See I've kinda found the opposite. I haven't found many negative comments about EITHER tire - but I've seen "more positive" reviews on the venoms.

Let's put it this way, from what I've seen most seem to like their metzlers, most seem to love their avons.

That said, I've ran ME880's on my last 2 bikes (this and my old GS550L) and have been pleased with them. I'm due for a new set of rubber in a couple months (probably near end of summer) and will be giving the Avons a try.

But like KM said - probably not a bad idea to price both out and get the one that you get the best price on (In my experience the ME's are a bit cheaper than the venoms...) . One additional tip - if you get em locally, check the date code BEFORE they are installed - some places have pretty old stock and rubber is better the newer it is...

Ya won't go wrong with either set of rubber... I'm mostly going to be trying the venoms because of that whole grass is greener thing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by theauhawk (Post 53971)
I think you'll find that the Avons are indeed good--but the Metzelers are better still.

When I was shopping for new tires for my VN750 last month, I noticed that it was very difficult to find any comments elsewhere on the internet that were less than totally positive about the Metzeler ME880s. They are highly favored by the BMW touring bike crowd. And they are OEM equipment on some BMW model bikes.

Thus, if the finances are there, I would say to go with the Metzelers.

Also: to get the maximum mileage out of these tires as advertised, you guys will need to religiously keep the air pressure at Metzeler's recommended levels.