Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Here She Is (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/63730-here-she.html)

01fxdxt 10-24-2014 07:38 PM

Here She Is

1 Attachment(s)
Well guys,here is the finished product.In my intro,I posted a pic of this neglected scooter.It sat for 5 years after it's owner passed.Needed a lot of cleaning.Vac petcock was not working,opened it up and found the small O-ring had deteriorated and was stuck in it's bore,I cleaned the O-ring and bore.I know I should have replaced it but it works.Cleaned the gas tank,put new gas in.Lucky no gas in carbs when stored.Drained bowls after testing petcock,gas was clean.
Brakes were not working,master cylinder had congealed fluid,scooped it out and cleaned what I could.I had some Skidoo Dot 4 so I filled it up and let it sit over night.This stuff seemed to dissolve the old crap.Could not get it bled properly,so I checked the calipers,one piston was stuck.I was able to pump piston out and cleaned exposed part ,did the other side too.Bled all the old fluid out,finally got pressure.
Bike started very easily,but was making some nasty noises in the top end until oil got up there.Ran it until oil was hot,changed oil and filter.Did the fork oil and rear drive oil too.Lubed all the cables
Very smooth motor,pretty good power.

Chuck A. 10-24-2014 10:32 PM

Had to work for it,,,,,,, makes you even prouder to own it.:beerchug: Happy and safe riding!

emtdon 10-25-2014 09:32 AM

you did an awesome job. glad you got her going. love that color. time for some outside pics.

Birdhunter02 10-25-2014 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice. Did you check the splines?

01fxdxt 10-25-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdhunter02 (Post 843194)
Nice. Did you check the splines?

No,it needs new tires and if I would have removed the rear wheel,I would have. The owner's wife was offered $100 for it and told the motor had seized.I shifted it to top gear and with plugs in showed her that it wasn't.I offered to clean it up a bit and get it running.Initially I was given $100 toward needed things.I was thinking battery,oil and filter at least.Usuallly you find carb bowls filled with crap .I thought I was going to have to wrestle with dirty carbs.I was very surprised there was no fuel(remains) in bowls.But,the first thing I did was check the air filters,and they were no longer foam,more like foam mush.I got some Emgo replacements for $11 each, shipped.
The chrome and paint was cleaning up better than I thought it would.One front signal was broken ,the other cracked badly.I found a new replacement on Ebay for $13 shipped-great price.While working on the rest of the bike,the other signal broke in half,must be made of the same cheese the air filters were made from.Found another on Amazon for $20.
Bike needed fork dust shields(hard to find aftermarket) but the seals themselves were not leaking,so I changed the fork oil.
In the end I spent $180 for all parts and oil to get to where it is.

bordolover 10-26-2014 10:54 AM

Congratulations! You should have many enjoyable miles ahead...

2000Vulcan750 10-29-2014 02:10 PM

Very nice!! :rockon:

Goofyfoot2001 10-29-2014 03:54 PM

Looks clean

LibertyPilot 10-31-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01fxdxt (Post 843066)
Well guys,here is the finished product.In my intro,I posted a pic of this neglected scooter.It sat for 5 years after it's owner passed.Needed a lot of cleaning.Vac petcock was not working,opened it up and found the small O-ring had deteriorated and was stuck in it's bore,I cleaned the O-ring and bore.I know I should have replaced it but it works.Cleaned the gas tank,put new gas in.Lucky no gas in carbs when stored.Drained bowls after testing petcock,gas was clean.
Brakes were not working,master cylinder had congealed fluid,scooped it out and cleaned what I could.I had some Skidoo Dot 4 so I filled it up and let it sit over night.This stuff seemed to dissolve the old crap.Could not get it bled properly,so I checked the calipers,one piston was stuck.I was able to pump piston out and cleaned exposed part ,did the other side too.Bled all the old fluid out,finally got pressure.
Bike started very easily,but was making some nasty noises in the top end until oil got up there.Ran it until oil was hot,changed oil and filter.Did the fork oil and rear drive oil too.Lubed all the cables
Very smooth motor,pretty good power.

Lookin good man, real good. It looks like my old VN750 and it's making me miss it soooo bad. I'd kill to ride one again, even for just an hour. Good work, dude. :beerchug: :motorcycl

vulkan 11-04-2014 10:01 PM

Like!!!!:)