Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Temp gauge (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/57457-temp-gauge.html)

badgerbabe 07-01-2014 12:39 PM

Temp gauge

I just replaced the stator on my 94 Vulcan 750. Temp gauge jumps into the red zone when I turn on the key and motor not running. When it is running it goes up into the red then down to cold and back and forth. Any suggestions?

Goofyfoot2001 07-01-2014 12:58 PM

So from what I understand, when I had problems with my gauge, the test was to touch the gauge wire to ground. If the gauge was good the needle would go all the way to the top. This suggests that the temperature sensor would lose resistance as it gets hotter (I could be backward on this 180 degrees). So the test for a sensor would be to put it in hot water and see if the needle went up, that is if the gauge was never moving at all.

So my guess is you have a short someplace and perhaps the connector at the temp sensor is touching the frame slightly.

badgerbabe 07-01-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 (Post 755449)
So from what I understand, when I had problems with my gauge, the test was to touch the gauge wire to ground. If the gauge was good the needle would go all the way to the top. This suggests that the temperature sensor would lose resistance as it gets hotter (I could be backward on this 180 degrees). So the test for a sensor would be to put it in hot water and see if the needle went up, that is if the gauge was never moving at all.

So my guess is you have a short someplace and perhaps the connector at the temp sensor is touching the frame slightly.

Where do I find the temp sensor?

Goofyfoot2001 07-01-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgerbabe (Post 755465)

Take off the tank and you will see the wire connected to it just behind (toward the seat) the radiator fill cap. I think I might have wrapped electrical tape around mine at one time.

Ceal 07-01-2014 01:38 PM

If you're not feeling like taking off the tank, you can see the temp sensor just by removing the right neck cover. It's sticking out right on top of the thermostat housing, behind the radiator fill cap, like goofyfoot said. That wire gave me trouble too. The connector broke, so I just soldered it on.

badgerbabe 07-01-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgerbabe (Post 755465)

Found it thanks!! Turns out that the wire attached to the temp sensor came off. Reattached and works properly!!!

Vulcan2000 07-01-2014 07:49 PM

Now that a couple of members helped you out with the easy fix and saved you a ton of money at the stealership how about letting us know a little bit about your bike and your riding experience. Let us know were you are from. Put that in the "Newbie" introduction section.