Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Bad seal?

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  One1 
#1 ·
What seal do I need to replace? Is this coming from the side that I fill with oil or the wheel side?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
When I got my bike the final drive gear oil was way over filled. It would leak out of the vent hole and look just like that. Maybe check the final drive oil level, pretty easy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
when I got mine, some ham handed mechanic had way over lubed the rear wheel splines and it would do exactly that.. that's how I know of it.

also, many mechanics who don't know the Vulcan may assume that lubing the rear splines means to lube those we are mentioning, and not lube the ones that really need them (the next set forward)

#9 ·
I think....The final drive has a vent hole on the inside that will do that if the final drive oil is over flilled.
Those "splines" on the inside of the hub should not be greased....if so, very very lightly.
Clean it all up, drain and replace your final drive oil, see if it happens again.

#11 ·
if the rear tire was removed without the final drive oil being drained first, it is possible that the wheel was rotated upside down which will allow the oil to seep out the drain tube which is inside the final drive housing.

If that were the case, then what you see is the result after driving it at speeds. If it stops happenening after a few rides, check your final drive fluid level and let it go.

If the tire was not removed (or the bike dropped), and this is an ongoing issue, you have a leak in a seal somewhere in your rear hub....maintain you fluid levels and get it repaired as soon as possible. I would be wary of any oil on my tire....I like traction....traction is your friend!

#12 ·
The level looks perfect. I continue to see this problem. It seems like grease wiping off rather than oil. It's tough to wipe however it could just be dirty idk.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
The level looks perfect. I continue to see this problem. It seems like grease wiping off rather than oil. It's tough to wipe however it could just be dirty idk.
I believe that would be Moly- Grease..... VERY difficult to clean off your hands or other undesired area's.

:smiley_th

#16 ·
I wonder why you want it to be oil, that would be a bad thing !! Has your oil level gone down any in the final drive assembly? Really that's the only likely place it can come from . I would take the wheel off and clean that crap up and put it back on and see what happens. You might even fix it, which is the end result you are hoping for , isn't it?

#17 ·
So heres what we have. I am trying to figure out what seal needs replaced. It appears to be oil from the case even though the level hasn't changed any.

Attachments

#21 ·
Yep, Just give her a good dab of molly grease. Your pics show grease being spread from cyntrifical force which is normal after a heavy greasing job. If it makes you feel better check your hub oil every hundred miles or so for a few weeks.

Sometimes we all can get a little too excited by something like a strange sound or a smear of oil that is normal. Just keep an eye on your 90w oil level in the rear drive, lube your driveshaft splines with moly grease every rear tire change and ride on.

#25 · (Edited)
I will but first I have to figure out why I'm getting too much rear brake travel now. I know that little oblong cam inside is about the only thing that could control it so I'm going to have to check it out and see I looked before I put it in and look fine but i obviously didnt dome something correctly. I have waaayy too much travel before it grabs the wheel inside.

Actually i'm just going to preload it a couple teeth and make a final adjustment externally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.