Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Saving my bacon (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/55042-saving-my-bacon.html)

blackomen 05-31-2014 05:45 PM

Saving my bacon

This site has saved me quite a bit of time and trouble with my Vulcan. The other day it was cutting off randomly. I did some research here and checked the harness connections under the tank. The ignition switch harness was loose and a couple other wires had nicks. It was still cutting off afterwards and checked back on here and figured out to clean the ignition puck. Which I promptly put the three dot copper deal back in backwards. So, I had to take it back apart and then it was fine. No more trouble with that.

Though this morning on the way to work the "pull" throttle cable snapped. I took the push one and moved it over to pull duty. Probably 5 minutes on the side of the road. An older gent on a newer wing stopped to see if he could offer a hand.

Nothing major has gone wrong with it so far, all these little maintenance things will get cycled through. New throttle cable is supposed to be here on Wednesday, can't wait. I definitely like the feel of the throttle a little better with both cables.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

WilliamTech 05-31-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackomen (Post 715690)
This site has saved me quite a bit of time and trouble with my Vulcan. The other day it was cutting off randomly. I did some research here and checked the harness connections under the tank. The ignition switch harness was loose and a couple other wires had nicks. It was still cutting off afterwards and checked back on here and figured out to clean the ignition puck. Which I promptly put the three dot copper deal back in backwards. So, I had to take it back apart and then it was fine. No more trouble with that.

Though this morning on the way to work the "pull" throttle cable snapped. I took the push one and moved it over to pull duty. Probably 5 minutes on the side of the road. An older gent on a newer wing stopped to see if he could offer a hand.

Nothing major has gone wrong with it so far, all these little maintenance things will get cycled through. New throttle cable is supposed to be here on Wednesday, can't wait. I definitely like the feel of the throttle a little better with both cables.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Glad all is working out for you....Yeah, aged bikes....cables ..../whatever.... ALL wear out with time....two throttle control cables, I am all over that ! :smiley_th :smiley_th

...years ago, At about 11 -12K miles, I replaced 4 (needing help) signal units, & ALL cables (as Preventive Maintenance).....no issues....no regrets.... it sucks calling a tow truck on a ruined ride.
ps; Beware of your "Balance Dampers" ! ( $45.00 and an engine pull) LOL

:smiley_th

M_Angell 05-31-2014 07:34 PM

And if you ever need a hand don't hesitate to drop me a line, I'm not that far away

blackomen 05-31-2014 10:27 PM

I installed a dvom on the handlebars to keep an eye on the stator, it runs pretty consistently at 14.4-14.5volts. I'm assuming the dampeners are good, the engine is fairly smooth. Something big will probably go eventually, but I'm not worried about pulling the engine. Appreciate the offer M_angell.