Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Wheels, Suspension and Brakes (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/)
-   -   Calipers?? (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/5465-calipers.html)

Kys 09-25-2007 11:57 AM

Calipers??

I have a 93 vn750 that has been in the shop forever. I described my multiple issues in the newbie forum. I'm still being told that they are unable to bleed the breaks and that the calpers are the last thing they can try to replace. OEM caliper assembly is $267.00 each...this is crazy. I am going to look on ebay for used ones but just want to get my bike on the road ASAP. Any ideas??? :mad:

kanuck69 09-25-2007 12:38 PM

If the calipers need replaced. Ebay would be the first place I'd go. But I don't understand why they can't bleed the breaks.Good luck!
If you don't have a copy. Repair manual.
http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Products.htm
(The manual is under "Other Links":)

93VN750 09-25-2007 12:57 PM

Most of us have found that bleeding brakes as best as possible, then tieing the brake lever fully tight over night, then bleeding one more time does it.

Jon

Crobins365 09-25-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kys (Post 43383)
I have a 93 vn750 that has been in the shop forever. I described my multiple issues in the newbie forum. I'm still being told that they are unable to bleed the breaks and that the calpers are the last thing they can try to replace. OEM caliper assembly is $267.00 each...this is crazy. I am going to look on ebay for used ones but just want to get my bike on the road ASAP. Any ideas??? :mad:

There was a full set of calipers and hoses on eBay just the other day - oops, they sold yesterday. But here are two full sets for sale: item number 170151126544 and number 330169262790 (although I don't like the looks of the hoses on that). And there's also a listing for the calipers separately (left and right - two different listings). I still think your calipers could probably use a good cleaning, maybe you need new pads (who doesn't? :) ), and then someone competent-not-at-your-shop to bleed the lines. Worst case scenario, replace the hoses.

Did you ever get in touch with Mark (Foxhound)?

Again, I'd grab my bike from the chop shop, download the manual for which kanuck posted the link, and hit up eBay for parts. And the Forum for tech advice. :D

Knifemaker 09-25-2007 03:32 PM

Sound to me like your shop is ****ing you over. (..pardon my french...)

I agree, get the bike out of there before you end up spending more money and get a manual and do it yourself...

KM

Spriddle 09-25-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93VN750 (Post 43386)
Most of us have found that bleeding brakes as best as possible, then tieing the brake lever fully tight over night, then bleeding one more time does it.

Jon

Yep thats what I had to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knifemaker (Post 43396)
Sound to me like your shop is ****ing you over. (..pardon my french...)

I agree, get the bike out of there before you end up spending more money and get a manual and do it yourself...

KM

And I couldnt agree more, If they cant bleed them, find a new shop

kanuck69 09-25-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knifemaker (Post 43396)
Sound to me like your shop is f(censored)g you over. (..pardon my french...)
KM

lmao That's the first time I've seen anyone actually type out the whole spelling here. I was just thinking the other day how decent everyone is. And no I'm not offended in any way. I actually have found it to be one of my more common words. lol Nice to someone being straight forward. There's nothing worse than someone screwing you! (& you didn't want to be screwed!) bsides I'm censored:blah: Damb that makes 3!

Crobins365 09-25-2007 05:50 PM

There was an issue about some ribald language in a post recently - I can't remember the details, 'cept one Forum member noted that his granddaughter reads the posts and he was hoping we'd keep it clean. Might wanna go back and edit that, just as a courtesy to whoever's reading.

That said, I agree on the shop assessment. The brakes are a closed system - if you can't bleed 'em, there's a very limited number of things that can be the problem, though my guess is it's in the hoses, not the calipers.

Hey, anyone wanna open a shop on the Eastern Shore of Maryland with me? :D

lancer19 09-25-2007 11:55 PM

Why not a traveling shop? Tour the country and fix VN750's!
I'd go for that!! :smiley_th

Have wrench will travel. :motorcycl

2fas4u 09-26-2007 07:55 AM

Let me know if you end up needing 1 or both calipers. I should have some in the garage. PM me when you find out.
Dave