Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/)
-   -   Hooked up battery tender BACKWARDS! (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/49113-hooked-up-battery-tender-backwards.html)

AudibleCreations 03-10-2014 03:24 PM

Hooked up battery tender BACKWARDS!

I hooked up the battery tender to my 220 cca Manga Power AGM battery backwards (ie the power and negative were swapped) and when I attached the negative cable last(with the 1.5amp schumacher charger already plugged into the wall) there was a big spark from the negative terminal.... Now my charger says it's charing the battery but displays no information about the charge level and condition of the battery. Could I have fried the battery? Im keeping it on the charger for a few days to trickle and see if I can get anything from it... Let me know your thoughts and I'll answer any questions to aide in this matter. Thanks VN750! :doh:

OleDirtyDoc 03-10-2014 03:28 PM

39 Attachment(s)
Should be ok.may have done damage to the charger though.see if it holds a charge

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Knifemaker 03-10-2014 03:38 PM

Ah, I see now. It's a Schumacher. "Battery Tender" is a brand name, and all of their chargers have reverse polarity protection to guard against what you just did.

Would think you fried the charger more than the battery (unless it was hooked up that way for awhile)

Might be a good idea to get yourself a new charger.
(I suggest the Battery Tender brand...;) )

Spencer1 03-10-2014 06:01 PM

Yep, the battery is probably fine but you fried some of the circuitry in the charger.

WilliamTech 03-10-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knifemaker (Post 620585)
Ah, I see now. It's a Schumacher. "Battery Tender" is a brand name, and all of their chargers have reverse polarity protection to guard against what you just did.

Would think you fried the charger more than the battery (unless it was hooked up that way for awhile)

Might be a good idea to get yourself a new charger.
(I suggest the Battery Tender brand...;)
)

x2

:smiley_th

Wolfie 03-10-2014 10:22 PM

I use a Schumacher also, and supposedly, if hooked up in reverse, will stop any current from going thru, and warn you. Wasnt about to test their claims though...

smltownr 03-10-2014 10:34 PM

By accident I hooked up the battery backwards on a antique outboard I was working on, just for a second. Did nothing to battery, but it did let the smoke out of the R/R. Might want to check that.

AudibleCreations 03-10-2014 11:45 PM

Luckily the battery was off the bike and only connected for a second to the charger. Amazon it is for a new charger and volt meter. Thanks for the insight gents... safe riding

WilliamTech 03-11-2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolAmI (Post 620673)
Yep, the battery is probably fine but you fried some of the circuitry in the charger.

Most likely the reverse current installed Diode

:smiley_th

kc2dgq 03-11-2014 05:10 PM

So much for reverse polarity protection.....any decent brand has it and it works.
then again, you should leave the charger UNPLUGGED from the wall until you have made your battery connections.