Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

fuel level

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  wmsonta 
#1 ·
Petcock is on off reserve. If there is no Prime position on mine how do you check the fuel level in carbs without turning the engine over?

#2 ·
Place a clear 5/16" (or is it 3/16" ?) hose on the carb drain nipple. Hold unattached hose end up --hose will be looped like a J.
Open up drain nipple, open up petcock.
Observe fuel level in clear tubing....evaluate to float chamber.
{this is a answer I found from another post but thats correct}

place tube on metal drain nipple on bottom of carb run it up past your gas tank hold it and turn the petcock on look at the level beside the carb to determine the level. If there is any garbage in the carb drain it out first as well.

#4 ·
I'm not really understanding your description here. With our petcocks (those that do not have a prime position) Turning it to on will not release any fuel if it is working properly unless vacuum is applied to the small nipple on the petcock (engine cranking)

#5 ·
I would say just get everything connected and ready, and put a peice of vacuum line on the petcock nipple. pull a vacuum for a 15 secs or so, to open the petcock. after that you can release vacuum and read your other hoses.

the fuel level wont change in the bowls once they are filled, unless there is a leak, or the engine is running

#6 · (Edited)
Ok yea I think I understand how to evaluate the actual fuel level... if the carbs would fill up with fuel lol.

But my question was how to apply vacuum,, just suck on the hose hah? Is it the center nipple coming out of the petcock pointing down,, as in the one with the smallest piece of tubing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.