Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/)
-   -   Soldering the Stator Wires (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/4520-soldering-stator-wires.html)

Crobins365 06-20-2007 07:20 AM

Soldering the Stator Wires

Hi, Folks -
The '01 is almost back together - mostly been a jigsaw puzzle with hopefully not too many pieces left over. :) That said, I'm staring at my stator wires and thinking, "Now what?" The old wires from the harness had burned through, so I clipped them and now have the nice, new wires coming out of the engine, and three blank wires waiting for next steps. Here are my questions, and I apologize in advance for sounding like an idiot:
1. I'm replacing the wiring harness on Orleans with a newer one. Assuming the stator wires on that harness are ok, can I clip them for use on the '01?
2. If the answer to "1" is yes, what do I need to solder the wires? We have a soldering gun in the house, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Couldn't even tell ya where it is. SO: what kind of solder? how much? something about shrink tubing? And does anyone have pics?
3. If the answer to "1" is "Are you nuts?!?", then what the heck do I do? I obviously need to solder (see 2, above) some male ends on the wires coming out of the harness, but: What size wire am I looking at? Are these bullet connectors (vs. the clips)? Is there a specific type that I should use, or size?

Fortunately I have to travel on business for the next two days, so I won't be able to ruin anything on the bike until Saturday. But I am stopping by the MVA on my way to the airport today to pick up my temp tags, so the 30-day count-down will begin!! Can anyone walk me through this new territory? Thanks in advance!!

hyperbuzzin 06-20-2007 07:36 AM

If it were me, I'd just grab whatever solder I could find, get the old gun out, put the shrink tube over the wire (but move it away from the heat for now) heat up the wire, melt the solder, slide the shrink tube over the connection, heat it up and be done.
But there are proper ways of doing it.
HERE is a Wikipedia article on soldering. I didn't read the entire thing, but it seems to be pretty complete.

Here's the few things I do know about it....
The thing ya want to do is heat the wires first, then have the solder melt into them. For this step, the wires can be twisted together and then soldered. But don't rely on twisted wires and electric tape. It's a lousy connection.
If the solder doesn't melt almost as soon as you touch it to the wires (while holding the iron to it) you're not quite hot enough.

Put a wet rag underneath your work to catch any dripping solder without burning anything.

Maybe someone else can better describe the process.
Check out the Wiki article and if ya still got questions/concerns, give a shout.

And HERE is another soldering article.

Crobins365 06-20-2007 07:55 AM

Thanks, Hyper, those are some great tips. There are different kinds of solder, though, right? Like copper? Lead? Al? Sheesh, a jigsaw puzzle I can do...electrical stuff, I'm right back where I was. :doh:

hyperbuzzin 06-20-2007 08:16 AM

The easiest way to get the right solder would probably be to go to Radio Shack.
I don't think they'd be much more expensive than anywhere else for that and they should be able to tell ya just what you'd need. (or ya could take their info and try a hardware store)
You'll also need flux. It's an acid paste that you put on the wires before soldering. As you heat the wire, it cleans and preps it for the solder.

Crobins365 06-20-2007 08:41 AM

See what I mean? I didn't even know that there was such a thing as flux (well, not in the empirical sense). I'm gonna read the articles you referenced before I do anything. That should save me a few mistakes right there.

Thanks, again!

Loran in Npvl IL 06-20-2007 08:57 AM

I think rosin core is used for wiring (acid core should not be used) and then you may not need soldering paste.

Crobins365 06-20-2007 09:09 AM

So, some kind of flux (check to see if rosin or acid core), any kind of solder, a good, hot soldering gun, and a stroke of luck?

curtis97322 06-20-2007 11:58 AM

If you get rosin core it eliminates the need for flux if I recall correctly.

For the heat shrink I've always used a lighter (zippo style is best - that way if it gets hot your finger aint right there) with the flame lightly "brushing" the tubing.

I need to get around to fusing my stator soon... wanna avoid a stator pull if possible.

lancer19 06-20-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loran in Npvl IL (Post 35726)
I think rosin core is used for wiring (acid core should not be used) and then you may not need soldering paste.

This is correct. Get rosin core solder from Radio Shack or Wally Mart or local hardware store. It eliminates the need for flux. If you don't do a lot of soldering a 50 foot spool will last you years. ONLY USE ROSIN CORE FOR ELECTRICAL WORK!!

Foxhound 06-20-2007 01:50 PM

Hyper is right about going to radio shack. Or you can go to Lowes, Home Depot. Go to the electrical dept not the plumbing dept. A rosin core solder is what you want. Tin/Lead composition, but if it's in the elctrical department it should be the right stuff. Generally it's thin about spaghetti thin. If it's shoelace size thats plumbing/hardware solder. Pick up a multi pack of shrink tubing. If they have it you might want to invest in a weller portasol, butane soldering iron. It also has a hot knife, mini torch, and minihot gun attachment (good for shrinking tubing). No need for electricity and very portable.

Flux is a good idea but not totally necessary with rosin core solder. It will help clean and get the solder to bond with the wires quicker though.

Worst case give me a shout. Did I give you my cell number? I'll PM it. I could come up and do it.