Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

pilot jets

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Spockster 
#1 ·
apparently these bikes came with two different pilot jet options, ones a long one ones a short one, the pilot jet that is in mine is the long one, the one they sent me is the short version, are they interchangeable, I do mean the pilot not the main.

#5 · (Edited)
jets r us

Jets are listed for the same bike, from jets r us

KAWASAKI VULCAN 750 1988-2006

TYPICAL JET SIZE:
Main Jet - 130 to 140*
Slow Jet - *
*Typical size only- verify jet size and Compare dimensions to those listed before ordering. See Jet Finder for other jets available.
{Pilot Jets-came with two different pilot jets, scroll down to see options}
OVERALL LENGTH = 28mm
DIAMETER OF HEAD = 5.5mm
THREAD DIAMETER = 4.4mm

OVERALL LENGTH = 15mm
THREAD DIAMETER = 4.5mm
GENUINE keihin jets - price each

#6 ·
Actually there were minor changes to the carbs over the years. I'm not sure what years each change took place.

I'd contact jets r us and perhaps send them a photo of your pilot jet.

I'm sorry, ....someone posted the same question years back but I can't remember what the answer was....but it was either:

1.They installed the jets they got anyway and all was well.
Or
2. They sent them back and got the right ones.

So again, contacting the company you bought them from is the best next move...

#9 ·
Yep the first one is the right one get a size 38 if your bike is stock or a 42 if you are doing an ear shave

#11 ·
Actually my jet supplier (Six Sigma) sent me the shorter pilot jets too saying our bikes usually used the shorter jet. I returned it and received the longer pilot jet I needed.

#12 ·
I just got mine from jets are us and they look right. Also sent a cool sticker. So let me get this straight, there really are three jets and one is idle, midrange and high rpm? Or is it just the pilot and the other? If so, then why is it necessary to switch out the pilot jet at all?

#14 ·
If you only changed the main, the transition from idle would be 'off balance' (so to speak lacking the correct terminology). The engine would falter or the throttle response would be lacking. It could even falter then the power may come on too hard to handle, going from too lean to a lot richer in one blast.

Somewhat of an example... When I adjust the high and low screws on a small engine (chainsaw/weedeater) I have to get the low speed rich enough to carry the transition smoothly into the high speed. So your pilot needs to be rich enough to carry into the higher speed main jet, this is assuming larger jets are needed. Too rich and it's just not going to work as intended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.