Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Wheels, Suspension and Brakes (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/)
-   -   Air Gauges - Tires and Shocks (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/21647-air-gauges-tires-shocks.html)

scottstein1 05-16-2012 02:38 PM

Air Gauges - Tires and Shocks
 
Does anyone have a preference in their tire air gauge and their shock air gauge? I've gotta get something better than the ones I've been using for my cars. And they don't have to be the same tool. In fact, I'm assuming they won't be the same tool - different needs usually require different tools.

Also, does anyone have a preferred method of filling their shocks - hand pump, foot pump, electrical compressor pump, etc?

Knifemaker 05-16-2012 04:06 PM

For tires I use the Roadgear digital gauge. 90 degree offset makes it alot quicker to get a reading.
http://roadgear.com/digital-tire-gauge-p-40.html

For the shocks. I used a small electric pump, like the "Slime" one, that had a built in gauge. I found that I lost 5 lbs just pullmg the pump off the shock, so.....I just filled them with five pounds more or air.

A good move is to replace the stock air stems with quality angled units.... Making filling the tires or checking pressure alot easier.

scottstein1 05-16-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knifemaker (Post 209083)
For tires I use the Roadgear digital gauge. 90 degree offset makes it alot quicker to get a reading.
http://roadgear.com/digital-tire-gauge-p-40.html

For the shocks. I used a small electric pump, like the "Slime" one, that had a built in gauge. I found that I lost 5 lbs just pullmg the pump off the shock, so.....I just filled them with five pounds more or air.

A good move is to replace the stock air stems with quality angled units.... Making filling the tires or checking pressure alot easier.

That Roadgear gauge seems a lot like the Accutire that I've seen tons of recommendations for. Thanks. Now I have options. Without that 90-degree offset, I was wondering how I was going to get in there. :smiley_th

I bought a Slime gauge and it was garbage! :hitanykey I hope their pump is better. But yes, you're not the first to mention slightly overfilling it due to the loss.

I hadn't thought of replacing the stems. I'm also not so sure I'm a good enough mechanic to do it.

Thanks, Knifemaker.

CW-4 05-16-2012 07:13 PM

This is what I use, got it from advanced Auto parts for $10. It's offset about 45 degrees so it will work with straight stems on our rims. Will read 1/2 lb on pressures. If you are military you get 10 percent off if you tell them so.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...8_pri_larg.jpg

Autocraft Tire Gauge - Pencil - Digital

drfraser 05-23-2012 09:50 PM

so, for stock shocks, how much pressure should be in them? i have to set it to its stiffest setting with just me on it because its low on air (i hope). haven't tried to fill them, as i dont want to over inflate them too much either

OlHossCanada 05-23-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drfraser (Post 210044)
so, for stock shocks, how much pressure should be in them? i have to set it to its stiffest setting with just me on it because its low on air (i hope). haven't tried to fill them, as i dont want to over inflate them too much either

Useable pressure is from 0 to 43 psi.
Max is 71 psi.
Clymer manual says a 150 lb rider should be ok with atmospheric pressure (0 psi) and damper setting on #2.

The air pressure and the exterior spring resists compression in a bump, and the dampers slow the rebound by restricting oil passage through a "valve" of sorts. Not sure how the different settings adjust the flow, I just accept that they do. :)

Rule of thumb on this board seems to be to inflate them to 10% of rider`s weight plus luggage.
I`m just south of 300 lb and mine are inflated to 30 psi and damper on #3.
Max recommended weight on vn750 is 397 lb, so if I were to carry more weight I probably need to set dampers on 4, and pump shocks up tp max at 40-43 lb.

The stock Kaw shocks are not the best ever made.
Progressive Shocks and front springs have been praised as a big improvement when you decide to change out the OEM stuff for something better.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ies/index.html
The 412 Heavy Duty are the ones I would choose for my bike. 12 1/2" is stock length. ($299.95 per pair)

Deviate 05-24-2012 07:29 AM

When I first got my bike the dampers were on #1 and there was 0lbs of air in the shocks. Felt "mushy" over bumps. I put them on #2 and put 10lbs in each shock and it rides better to me. I'm 160 so not too far from what the owners manual claims is the stock setup weight.

Oh, and I put the air in with a hand pump. It doesn't take much to put quite a bit of air in there.

Wolfie 05-24-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

A good move is to replace the stock air stems with quality angled units....
Got a link to a distributor besides Amazon ?...I checked every auto parts and custom shop in a 30mi radius, and nuthin ! And I gotta ride 12mi just to be able to GET air (due to the local options)....been wanting to add 90 degree stems fer ages ! Especially for the rear !




kc2dgq 05-24-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfie (Post 210141)
Got a link to a distributor besides Amazon ?...I checked every auto parts and custom shop in a 30mi radius, and nuthin ! And I gotta ride 12mi just to be able to GET air (due to the local options)....been wanting to add 90 degree stems fer ages ! Especially for the rear !

is this it?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010

or :
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ21730

Wolfie 05-25-2012 08:24 PM

Yeah, like thems....Ive seen screw ons too, but was concerned about centrifugal force on em. I cant find any anywhere local, just online.





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome