Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

bike lean effects idle? all sorts of carb ques...

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  DavesVulster 
#1 ·
I have a 05 750 vulcan. I just took my carbs off for a cleaning. the bike would only run with the choke on.
put it all back together and now it idles great. but i can't get pass 4500 rpm. it just breaks up and bogs out. set the air screws 2 turns out. I did not sync them. could that be it? I did not have this problem before cleaning.
When I had both of the carb bodies off of the float bowl assembly for cleaning, I somehow managed to flip flop the carb bodies on assembly.:doh: I noticed when the choke cable assemby came in from the wrong side of the bike. I just flipped the choke assembly around to face the right way. Is that OK? There is no primary carb is there? Aren't they identical?
I noticed that when I put it on the side stand the bike idles up to 2000, pick the bike upright and it idles nicley at 1400, lean the bike to the right and it starts falling off and eventually stalls. Pulled the plugs, front clnder looks good, rear are black as night. like carbon fouled not fuel.
Also I did the coastering mod at the same time. I blocked off the reed valves and plugged the vac line on the right side carb. I left the rest of the valve body under the seat with the rest of the lines still hooked into it.
What is the valve under the oil tank? it has vac lines going to the gas tank and to the surge valve under the seat.
Where can I get a service manual online?

See less See more
#2 ·
Lots of peoples have chimed in with some of the problems your talking about. There are lots of photos and stuff here about the jets. From what i have read the idle adjustments only work at idle and from what ive read the main jets kick in after ,, around or about 3000 to 4000 rmp sounds like one of the jets still may be clogged or have trash in it. Could also be float settings, so look around,, lots of good ppls here and im sure someone else will chime in soon with more info.
----------------------------------------------
If She Rides Good Then Keep Her - She May Be 27 Years Old But Shes As Wild As An 18 Year Old !

#3 ·
Welcome to the Vulcan madness Adam.

Have you been riding the bike for a while before removing the carbs, or is it a recent purchase?
I don`t have any hands on experience with the vn carb, so I can`t say how "flip flopping" the carb bodies on the float bowls will affect it. But you are right, they are basicly identical, one carb for each cylinder.

Synchronizing the carbs is desirable after taking the carbs apart for cleaning.
However with a twin cylinder engine you can come very close just by adjusting the throttles to start opening at the same time.

Hopefully Crobins or one of the others with more carb experience will weigh in here soon and be able to tell you if you need to pull the carbs apart again and reassemble them with the parts back in their original positions.

US bikes have some emission control valves, hoses and canisters behind the engine and under the seat that my Canadian bike doesn`t have. The VN does not have an oil tank, is has a wet sump with all the oil in the crankcase. What you call an oil tank is probably one of the canisters.

Here is a link to Kanuck69`s thread where he introduces a new and improved VN750 service manual:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17667

Hope this helps. :smiley_th

#4 ·
thanks for the info guys.:)
When I say it will not rev past 4500, I mean when it is being driven(load on the engine) It will idle smoothly and rev to the moon all day long in the garage. What gives?
Still would like to know what that valve is that connects to the bottom lines on the gas tank and If I missed somthing in the coastering mod that would make it run this way.
Thanks again.

#5 · (Edited)
I managed to copy over this reply thus annihilating it... sorry.:doh:

#7 ·
Being a V twin, it's common for the front cylinder carb to have a different size carb jet than the rear cylinder. I think the rear cylinder has the bigger jet because it tends to run hotter due to less air flow around the cylinder. I think you would want to have that carb installed exactly as it was originally.

#8 ·
thanks for the response guys. the needles have been swapped. that would make sense because that is part of the RPM range I am having trouble with. as I said before the front spark plugs looked great but the rear plugs were dark black with carbon. The needle swap still would not explain the change in RPM at idle when leaning the bike back and forth. What is the float set height?
When driving the bike takes of from idle to 4000 rpm very nicely but the breaks up an will not rev any higher, additional throttle causes the bike to bog then very light and short surge.
Again when running on the side stand it pulls thru the RPM range and comes right back down to idle.:confused:

#9 ·
I've not done any carb work on mine, nor shaved the ears (yet) but I have a similar issue. Bike runs great till I am around 5000rpm. Then it seems to start chugging a bit and losing power. Been that way ever since I got it.

Hoping that when I eventually do the ear shave and new jets this will help clear that up.

#10 · (Edited)
Well I'd say that you're bike is starving for fuel in the upper rpms ... but you said your rear plugs are black so that could be your plugs aren't maintaining spark at higher rpm BUT....

It wasn't doing this b4 the carbs were removed/replaced and jets were not changed correct?

Did you skip anything at all when putting it back together (are you running it without the air cleaner covers on?) If you just have the filters in place but not the cases you'll lose your top end because of too much air.

Another thought How long have those plugs been black? Only since reinstalling the carbs or b4? What about swapping them with the front (or replace them) to get a fresh prospective of what's doing in there? Engines don't flood at higher rpms, unless ignition breakdown occurs. Even when both of my float valves were stuck open I could redline my bike until she came back down to earth at 2500 or so and then she'd flood out... to the point of dripping out of the carbs. Pretty severe. So, going back to the statement that it didn't do this b4, we can probably assume spark is not an issue.

#12 ·
I have the same issue with the idle changing when I stand the bike up vertical. I can't claim to know what causes it but if I get mine worked out I'll let you know. I also just did an ear shave, and am actually waiting on the pod filters to get here so I can put it all back together...so we'll see.

As people have already said, everything needs to be put back on in the same order, if for no other reason than that the front and rear carbs have different needle. Mine are 53a on the front and 53b on the rear.

If it's starving for gas at higher rpms, it could mean that the main jets aren't delivering efficient fuel. Did you rejet for the ear shave, and if so what size?

#14 ·
My idle fluctuation went away with the ear shave. Not sure if I can say exactly what contributed to the idle changing when it was on the kickstand, but here's basically what it could have been:

1. Something to do with the air flow system. If so, fixed because I basically got ride of the whole system in the process of doing the ear shave.

2. Jets possibly? Those were also changed due to the ear shave.

3. Fouled plugs. I installed a new set of NGK's once everything else was done, before I started up the bike for the first time.

Good luck!

#15 ·
Well...

I got mine already earshaved, not degoated, but the Shindaken R/R...far as I can tell, its gotten the stator fix too...(recently added pods, was open with screens before, lol).
Now...right after I trickle charge it for 12 hrs, she runs like a top, all RPM and loads...soon as the battery drops voltage (Im getting 13.2v idle, and almost 15.1v at 5000 from the alt), Ive decided its just a bad battery...
These newer bikes with their fancy electronics require a minimum voltage to run (cant even bump start one if batt is dead). So, IMO, I'd check the battery or just get new if its a cheap one and over 2 yrs old....
I wonder if a "deep cycle" might work better in the VNs....my old bass boat never had issues...

#16 ·
Yeah you're right about the demand for a good battery Wolfie. To add to that, if you question the battery, get yourself a maintenance free gel cell for a new one. Everyone says this is a major step up for our bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.