Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/)
-   -   Lights were on.. (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/19390-lights-were.html)

Unrivalled1 08-07-2011 07:39 PM

Lights were on..

Hi guys and gals i just bought my first bike. it is a 93 vn750. so as im sure most of u know the head light on the bike will not turn on with out the engine being on. so i came home last night to my head lights and all my other electronics on but the motor was off and heres the best part... my keys were in my pocket. any ideas? i disconnected the battery but the lights were already on for a while since the bike wouldnt turn over. im gonna work on it tomorrow so any tips as to where to start looking would be great. thanks for all the help

shark88 08-07-2011 07:58 PM

I know I could take my key out of the ignition with it started, I never tried to shut it off at the kill switch to see if my light stayed on or not. It's raining right now so if nobody else chimes in I will check it tomorrow. Was you ignition off?

Unrivalled1 08-07-2011 11:16 PM

to the best of my knowledge the ignition was off. but like u its raining here so i plan on looking tomorrow. but a friend did say something along the same line, about being able to leave the lights on with the key out of the ignition

DavesVulster 08-07-2011 11:33 PM

Hello and welcome. I'd look at the ignition switch. It could be worn enough that even though the key is in the OFF position there may be enough play in it that the contacts inside are still closed. You could see what happens by going a little past and to the left of off then back to it when you take your key out. Normally the headlight will stay on if you shut off the engine with the kill switch and will remain on until you turn off the key. Won't come back on again until the starter circuit is activated.
You said you found it this way? So you came home by other means to find the lights on when you know they were off earlier, or you came home from a ride to find that the lights wouldn't shut off?

slimvulcanrider 08-08-2011 02:12 AM

sounds like a bad headlight relay

Unrivalled1 08-08-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavesVulster (Post 184279)
Hello and welcome. I'd look at the ignition switch. It could be worn enough that even though the key is in the OFF position there may be enough play in it that the contacts inside are still closed. You could see what happens by going a little past and to the left of off then back to it when you take your key out. Normally the headlight will stay on if you shut off the engine with the kill switch and will remain on until you turn off the key. Won't come back on again until the starter circuit is activated.
You said you found it this way? So you came home by other means to find the lights on when you know they were off earlier, or you came home from a ride to find that the lights wouldn't shut off?

yeah i came home in my car to notice my bike lights were on.

FlacoLove 08-08-2011 11:15 AM

deleted

Unrivalled1 08-08-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlacoLove (Post 184309)
If I came home and found my lights on, I'd assume I came right in the middle of someone tampering with my bike... But then again, I live in the South Bronx; I don't own a garage and she's forever rain covered, and alarmed. Ride safe.

unfortunately the same thought crossed my mind as well