Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/)
-   -   Starting issue (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/17838-starting-issue.html)

honest Al 04-10-2011 06:42 AM

Starting issue

I have the MF battery and it really works better however once in a while I turn the key on and it acts like a dead battery. Engine will not turn over.

Happened just the other day after the wife and I loaded it up for a three day ride. Went to leave the house and nothing! No start. No crank over! Unpacked all the luggage from the VN and loaded it onto the Suzuki 1200 Bandit.

When we got home, I tried to start the VN and it fired right up! The same thing happened the last time this happened.

How about a ground or a connector? Anybody have this problem? How about the ign. switch? When it does not start, the dash lights will come on so I don't know about the switch.:doh::(

slimvulcanrider 04-10-2011 06:48 AM

sounds like a bad ignition switch... next time try wiggeling the switch and/or cycling the key off an on..

johnm 04-10-2011 10:21 AM

^^^x2 on the ignition switch. Mine did the same thing when I first got it. Seems pretty common with these bikes. I ended up pulling the switch out, cleaned it, stretched the spring inside, resoldered a loose/broken wire...no trouble since. Cheap fix compared to buying a new one.

John

honest Al 04-10-2011 09:55 PM

I agree that it could be the switch......but the dash lights come on.

I had a problem before with the switch.....I turned it on and nothing happened at all.......no lights......no nothing. I wiggled the key in the switch and presto it was fine.

This time the dash lights come on and the engine will barely turn over like the battery is dead. Walk away......come back and it spins the engine like nothing is wrong!!!!

How do I fix something like this??:confused::confused::confused:

The DEUCE 04-10-2011 10:07 PM

I have to turn my key all the way right to the "P" position and then back to the "ON" position for my bike to start.

Journey 04-11-2011 03:25 AM

try checking the clutch safety switch.

slimvulcanrider 04-11-2011 05:04 AM

If it turns over slowly and acts like a dead battery with a fully charged battery, then I would look at the main grounds. there is one on the left side of the frame, and one on the rights side next to the starter solenoid. one or both are either loose or corroded. try cleaning and tighten them.

Journey... if its the clutch safety switch, it wouldn't turn over at all.

BRET H 04-11-2011 09:07 AM

My starting issue ended up being the positive battery cable wire where it attaches to the front of the starter was very loose and oily. I cleaned it off ...then put some blue Loc-tite on the nut....then put dielectric grease over the whole connection. Starts very easy now!

slimvulcanrider 04-12-2011 05:28 AM

glad to hear it was an easy fix

honest Al 04-18-2011 03:09 AM

After it quit while running (I had to wiggle the switch) I finally bit the bullet and pulled the switch......cleaned it......stretched springs...etc.

Life is good again..........for now!!:beerchug: