Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Ride safe. (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/16859-ride-safe.html)

FlacoLove 12-22-2010 01:40 AM

Ride safe.

deleted

Warlord247 12-22-2010 10:01 AM

Feel for you, my brother. This December has been a not so good one for me as well. When are people going to learn to watch , listen and learn?:doh: At least it was just the bike, and not your brother! Sheetmetal and plastic can be replaced easier than the parts of the human body, I know, but he just got it back!!!! What a pisser!!!:itchy-scr

OlHossCanada 12-23-2010 06:56 PM

What is the lesson learned?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlacoLove (Post 158277)
I'm feeling kind of Sh**ty... 'about 3 hrs ago, I took my Vulcan in this cold weather to the other side of N.Y.C. to go with my brother to pick up his bike (Busa) fresh from the body shop. It was slick! Beautiful in it's nice new paint job and mods; Immaculate! We race along; green light all the way, when these two A**h***s decide to cross the street directly in front of 2 oncoming bikes; my brother on the left lane, me on the right, of a 4 laner, '40-50mph... I'm about 2 car lengths behind my brother; I see the violators; I see my brothers brake lights, I swerve/pass, hear screeching metal against pavement, then the Busa passes my bike... without my brother on it. Before I stopped, I already had tears in my eyes. I U-turned, saw my brother walking and relief, coupled with PROFOUND anger possessed me. I was restrained (I'll leave it at that). Tourist; F&%*ing tourist who don't understand that RED means don't walk?!!! My brother is OK; like me, he wears full armour and, he was compensated for the damages. I really don't know what more to say... study Proficient Motorcycling? the fundamentals/the science behind riding two wheel vehicles? Understand & control emotions? Road Rage? People? I don't know... My brother is still alive; wow. I just don't know... and I don't want to think about it, but it's haunting. It just happened and it hurts. Ride safe.

Sorry to hear that your brother went down FL. But glad to hear neither of you were hurt. I tried to respond to this thread 4 times last night, but uncharacteristically I repeatedly managed to lose it somehow, so decided someone was trying to tell me to sleep on my reply.

I hope I can make my point without coming across as being critical or a know-it-all.

There is a forum on the Master Strategy Group entitled "Sharing of Lessons Learned".
http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/fo...p?FORUM_ID=102

It is dedicated to introspection of incidents/accidents or observations regarding things that happen while riding.
For example, what did the rider learn that make him/her a safer rider next time out?

While reading your OP, I had several questions that you did not address.
1. What was the posted speed limit of the road you were traveling on?
(Was 40-50 mph a safe speed to be traveling even if it was legal?)

2. Was there much pedestrian or motor traffic around the area?

3. You called the Don`t Walk light violators "tourists". Was it an area where you would expect to find tourists, or others more concerned with finding a store or restaurant, or inebriated patrons leaving a bar than watching where they are going?

4. In hindsight do you believe you were scanning 12 seconds ahead and did you recognize a possible danger? Why or why not? Maybe riding too fast for the conditions of light and traffic?

The two pedestrians who crossed against the light were definately in the wrong, but it was your brother who suffered damage to his bike, not them. We cannot control the actions of others, only learn to anticipate the worst thing they can do, and prepare to avoid them by slowing down or changing lane position, etc. Your anger is understandable, but is it possibly misdirected at "them" instead of your own errors, and those of your brother?

I don`t know either of you or the extent of your riding experience. At the end of your post you make some suggestions for self improvement and increasing riding skills. I recommend you (and all the rest of us too) do them all. Read Hough`s book "Proficient Motorcycling". Spend some time on the msgroup safety forum link above.

Now please take my questions as a starting point, and tell us what lessons you have learned from this experience. What should the two of you have been doing different to avoid this incident? We are quick to recognize the errors that others make, but it is harder to admit when we have erred ourselves.

Please take these suggestions in the spirit of love and brotherhood in which they are offered.:) We don`t have enough time (or luck) to make all the mistakes ourself. We have to share and learn from the experience of others too.

Knifemaker 12-23-2010 09:52 PM

I'm with Olhoss on this...and if I may, I might add it seems your brother was the dangerous one here...sounds like he overbraked and lost control....

He was in front of you...you passed him, and yet you stopped without crashing?

OK, was not there, but my general rule is...pedestrians are on their own...I'm not going to risk my safety for theirs , I'll pick a line, honk my horn and it is up to them to get the hell out of my way.

Did these "tourists" step out behind a parked truck or something? Why did you not see them untill they were in your path?

Sorry bro, but I have dealt with "surprise" jaywalkers before, and unless they are trying to get run over, it ain't that hard to avoid hitting them if you are on a bike....and paying attention. Deer on the other hand , you will see panic and move the wrong way or just freeze...but most humans are pretty good about dodging traffic...or at least seem to have a better grip on what is going on and have a better survival instinct.

I know I get alot of flack for it, but just about every "accident" I have read or heard about that a rider was involved in ....was caused by something THEY did wrong , forgot to do, or were momentarilly were distracted. Alot of times it is just "panic" reactions overtaking proper technique.

Anyway sorry about your bothers bike, but glad he was more or less unscathed.

KM

jthill524 12-23-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlacoLove (Post 158277)
We race along; green light all the way, when these two A**h***s decide to cross the street directly in front of 2 oncoming bikes; my brother on the left lane, me on the right, of a 4 laner, '40-50mph....

Do ya think that maybe you & your brother could of been at fault too. Racing along at 40-50 mph. Maybe not watching as good as you should of.

No matter what the other person did if you're not doing you're part to be safe then mayhem will happen.

KIMMERLING 12-24-2010 06:59 PM

Sorry dude. Proficient Motorcycling is an excellent book. Also, Total Control is great for sport riders and touches on the spiritual/meditative aspects of being calm and in the moment.
I wonder if there are other books that would assist with the anger/emotional aspects specific to motorcyclists or other?

flitecontrol 12-24-2010 11:49 PM

I need something to keep me from wanting to choke the crap out of the SUV driver that insisted on ridng my tail today. This after attempting to "wave" her back had no effect. I pulled over, let her pass, and then tried to follow her so we could discuss it, but she was doing 70 in a 45 mph zone and I didn't want to risk it.

OlHossCanada 12-25-2010 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flitecontrol (Post 158419)
I need something to keep me from wanting to choke the crap out of the SUV driver that insisted on ridng my tail today. This after attempting to "wave" her back had no effect. I pulled over, let her pass, and then tried to follow her so we could discuss it, but she was doing 70 in a 45 mph zone and I didn't want to risk it.

Congratulations fc, you did keep your cool in a stressful situation and took control by removing yourself from danger. :smiley_th

As I said earlier we cannot control the actions of others. We can only observe and anticipate the worst thing they can do, and separate ourselves from the danger as best we can. Regarding your desire to choke the SUV driver-- a sticker on my `fridge says "Frustration is not choking someone who really needs it.":mad:

I give you a grade of 100% for todays actions.:smiley_th

Expect the worst of every driver and you won`t be so disturbed when it happens. Prepare yourself to react correctly as you did today, and let it go. Continuous anger and frustration with others driving will negatively affect your physical and mental health and shorten your life. :(

flitecontrol 12-25-2010 10:56 AM

Thanks, OlHoss. My level of frustration was extremely high! The corollary to your fridge sticker is: "Satisfaction is choking some idiot who really deserves it!" By definition, satisfaction is more satisfying than frustration. :itchy-scr

I'm just hoping she was doing 70 mph because I pulled in behind her and she realized I was ticked off. Maybe she will think twice before tailgateing a biker again. But you can't fix stupid.

Old Dog 12-25-2010 11:57 AM

FC, I don't feel too bad at folks that get on my tail fixin to pass if when they do they go on, although I don't have that happen too often... Now if they just want to stay on my tail that is a complete different story... I don't anymore, but I used to keep a bit of small gravels (+/-1/4") in my left vest pocket just for that purpose, I would sneaky like get them with my left hand and on down the road let one or two trickle out, then more if that didn't work, but in a way that they would think it was from my tire or something, they would usually back off a bit. ...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...