Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Tank capacity

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Dianna 
#1 ·
Hey all !!!!

It is said that our fuel tank capacity is 3.6 gal.. My gauge reads absolutely
empty at 2.7 gals down with the reserve tank open. So in my mind that means the capacity is only 2.7 gals. Does anyone know if the gauge reading includes reserve or is it just pre reserve?

I can hear some fuel sloshing around at 2.7 down but have not tried to test how far I can go before running out.:motorcycl

#2 ·
artman said:
Hey all !!!!

It is said that our fuel tank capacity is 3.6 gal.. My gauge reads absolutely
empty at 2.7 gals down with the reserve tank open. So in my mind that means the capacity is only 2.7 gals. Does anyone know if the gauge reading includes reserve or is it just pre reserve?

I can hear some fuel sloshing around at 2.7 down but have not tried to test how far I can go before running out.:motorcycl
I don't think the gauge is all that precise and I don't know if it is suppose to show you how long until you hit reserve or totally out of gas. If I were designing it, I'd go for totally out of gas. I rely more on the odometer. Around 120 miles I expect to have to switch to reserve. We ran a poll once and it sounds like there's 2.6 to 2.8 gallons between full and reserve. I haven't been in a situation where I was worried about running out totally, so I don't know exactly how far I can go. It seems I've read you can go about 30 miles on reserve before it's game over. Others around can give you a good idea since they've been right to the edge and put like 3.5 gallons back into the tank. Since the pickup is on the left side of the tank, some gas gets trapped on the right side. It's possible to slosh that reserve-reserve back and squeeze a couple more miles out of a tank.

#3 ·
Just put on a different tank on my '95 after which, I pushed it to the gas station to see just how much gas it would hold.

3.792 gallons

If the pump would have been a little slower, I think I could have fit the last 0.008 gallons to give 3.8 gallons. This would be filling it up to the top of the upper lip of the gas cap filler hole. As Ironman said, you can't get all of the gas out of the tank even on reserve.

My last fillup was 3.036 gallons (146.9 miles) and while my gauge showed empty, I was not on reserve yet.

I think you will find that when the gauge shows 3/4, you actually have used up 1/2 of a tank of gas (about 1.5 gallons).

#4 ·
I just did an 800 mile weekend on my 91, I managed to get 150 miles safely and had just hit the red on the gauge not useing the reserve when I stopped for fuel, at that point I got just a "fuzz" under 3 gals (2.75 or something close to that)

#5 ·
I don't think it shows the reserve. I was definitely running in the red while I was feathering the throttle trying to get out every last drop when I coasted into the gas station. I had babied and rocked the bike for 15+ miles past the red.
I put 3.624 gallons in!
I go by odometer readings to be sure now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.