Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

vn800 with poogs?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cglennon 
#1 ·
I was riding this morning and my 800 started cutting out and died. coast to shoulder, give it a minute and started right up. went about a mile and did it again. after a minute it fired up and i got off at the next exit and hit a gas station. had about half a tank so topped it off, fired up and decided to head back to the house. bike never missed a beat all the way home. sounds like poogs to me, what you guys think.

#2 ·
Certainly sounds like POOGS. The problem and solution are the same regardless of the bike; the gas tank venting system is clogged and must be unclogged. Disassemble and clean the entire system from tank to the end of the vent line.

#3 ·
I don't know if the gas cap is the same as the 750, but like one other member hear said to do was. Take the cap apart and you may see a small orange flap valve in the center. Becareful do not loose the screws, three that is. I pulled the little flapper valve off the bigger seal and the poog syndrom is gone. That little valve lets the tank set up a vacuum that at about half tank stops the fuel from flowing to the carbs. You can try this after trying to unclog the vent line that is under the gas cap.

#4 ·
I... I pulled the little flapper valve off the bigger seal and the poog syndrom is gone....
The check valve is only one potential source of POOGS. POOGS can occur if there is any blockage between the gas tank, gas cap venting system or gas tank vent line. The entire system must be clear and functioning properly in order to avoid POOGS.

In my case the check valve was working correctly. My POOGS was caused by the tiny vent hole leading into the check valve. It was plugged with rubber shavings caused by the vent tube rubbing against the rear tire. IMHO a good preventative measure is to flush the gas vent tube, at the base of the gas cap near the hinges, with carb cleaner or non-chlorinated brake cleaner once a year. The less debris that is in that tube, the less likely it is to be sucked into the gas cap venting system where it will plug the small holes and air channels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.