Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Bike for sale? (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/15030-bike-sale.html)

dharma 8 06-09-2010 07:26 PM

Bike for sale?

Hey all. I was driving my truck to work this morning and hit a deer. Last Monday morning I was on the bike and one ran across the road less than 20 feet away, didn't hit it. And the Tuesday after Memorial Day same damn thing happened. I've hit a total of 6 deer with the truck, two major damage, the rest not much of any damage, this morning included. So I might sell my bike, it's just getting a little scary.
Last year around here near Warsaw, a guy was on his bike and a deer ran into him and he died. So can you blame me? Not sure if I am for sure gonna sell, but I probably will, being alive is more important and since I'm new to the bike thing, it won't be that heart breaking. Any comments?
Later.
:zzz:Marc

GIMPYRDR 06-09-2010 08:05 PM

Dharma, choice is yours and no one should fault you. Deer is an issue here during the hunting season. Hogs year round. I ride to work pretty much year round. My suggestion, if the road is 4 lanes stay in the inside lane to give yourself a little more reaction time. If the area is a frequent deer crossing avoid it on the bike or find a different route. Also, you might limit your ride times to daylight hours. I know some riders in South Texas that absolutely will not ride after dark due to deer at any time of the year.

KIMMERLING 06-09-2010 08:25 PM

How about those deer whistle things?

flitecontrol 06-09-2010 08:28 PM

^Nobody's trained the deer to know they're supposed to avoid them! If you see a deer, slow down! They are unpredictable, just like a cage at an intersection, only worse.

gcextreme 06-09-2010 08:39 PM

It's your choice man, but take this in mind:
If you're going to give up riding because of deer, you might as well give up driving your vehicle too.
It has been proven than more people die in auto to auto accidents per year than motorcycle to deer crashes.

I don't know, i may be wrong, but it depends on where you live. I live up north in Minnesota, so because we don't ride bike all year round, and there are alot of winter/snow/ice vehicle fatalities.

Just my 2 cents tho.

wkrizan 06-09-2010 09:18 PM

I was going to recommend the same thing that GIMPYRDR already said. Deer are nocturnal creatures (and taste great on my plate), so if you truly enjoy being on two wheels then keep the bike and just do day trips around town or what have you. If its just a means of transportation for you but you would feel safer in a cage then by all means sell the thing.

Ron_G 06-09-2010 09:58 PM

Freakin' dear! You can't swing a dead cat around here without hittin' a dear and the stinkin whimpy pansys in Trenton keep passing laws to restrict hunting even more. So the dear keep reproducing even more. I've pretty much stopped riding at night because of them (when I do ride at night I ride way below the speed limit and keep my head on a swivel).

R

dharma 8 06-09-2010 10:11 PM

I know what you mean. There should be a period of time with unlimited kills. Gotta thin out the herd here in west central Illinois.

wib714 06-09-2010 10:39 PM

I live in the hills and have had a few close calls this year already, usually in the morning or at dusk. they are definately thicker at dark. I try not to ride at night too but as said in an earlier post, I slow way down and make my eyes do that lizard thing looking too the left and right at the same time. and on the 4 lane when I get to it I use the left lane if the grass is high on the right.

LibertyPilot 06-10-2010 08:11 AM

I rode to my sisters one afternoon and saw Mama and 3 doe on her neighbors lawn in broad daylight. I turned the corner and there was Pop. I hit the breaks hard and was maybe 30 yards from him. That's the closest I've even been to a buck. The thing was frickin' huge. We have a big problem with them in PA too.

You should get a hunting party of 35 people, arm them with mac tens, and disappear for a couple weeks. Yes, deer are nocturnal and a big pain in the arse - they're also delicious.