Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Whining when I lean (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/14837-whining-when-i-lean.html)

msh1156 05-26-2010 02:07 PM

Whining when I lean

All... since saturday I've noticed a steady whining sound when I'm leaning into curves. The sound modulates higher/lower in pitch based on speed and disappears when straightening up. Noise is present leaning to either side and isn't noticable until riding for a while. It appears to be coming from beneath or behind me, but it's tough to tell.

skalding 05-26-2010 02:18 PM

I'd check your front and back wheels to see if there's any extra play. If it only happens when leaning the bike over, it may be related to the wheels somehow.

newOldUser 05-26-2010 02:49 PM

Tell your passenger to stop being such a sissy.

Sorry... if it wasn't me it would have been someone else.

jimkonst 05-26-2010 03:05 PM

I don't know, but could it be a low oil situation, or oil not circulating? Like if something is uncovered that is usually wet with oil?

LibertyPilot 05-26-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newOldUser (Post 137543)
Tell your passenger to stop being such a sissy.

Sorry... if it wasn't me it would have been someone else.

Dammit, I was going to say "don't ride 2-up." ;)

Rook 05-26-2010 05:57 PM

I'm gonna go with tires check your press and look for any cupping

Knifemaker 05-26-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rook (Post 137571)
I'm gonna go with tires check your press and look for any cupping

Give the man a cigar. Likely culprit here is the tires.

Oddly , some tires only seem noisey in turns. I remember running some Dunlap K-81's on my RD400 that almost howled when leaned way over.

Also keep in mind when you are "leaned over" your ear is able to pick up noises that are reflected off the road alot easier.

My only real suggestion here is to check your tire pressure and then not worry about it.

KM

OlHossCanada 05-27-2010 12:25 AM

msh1156 you have owned the Vulcan for about 16 months. Is this still the first set of tires you are running? The thought occurs to me that if the tires are getting close to being worn out, the tread in the center will be the most worn, and better/deeper sipes on the chicken strips may howl or whine more when leaned over. JMHO

Ccspinner 05-27-2010 01:58 AM

Mine did that when they were ready for replacing, Tire is the problem.
Get a set of Metzlers and you wont be sorry.
Also look into upgrading to 110 front instead of the 100 it has stock.

VN750Rider/Jerry 05-27-2010 02:35 AM

Sounds like tires are the problem (or at least the cause of the noise) if they are still good treadwise and not badly cracked, I'd go ahead and wear them out before replacing them. The whine wouldn't bother me at all, as long as I knew what it was.

A few other remote possibilities. Check the final drive oil, if you haven't done the splines, definitely do that before riding it again, also check swing arm play and clearance. The swing arm has to be an exact distance between the pivot and frame, or the drive shaft will not line up properly. If it is loose, it might be moving when you lean over.

Are you sure it isn't the pegs dragging? The Vulcan will lean waaaay over for a cruiser, but the pegs will drag eventually. Jerry.