Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/)
-   -   Switch clusters turning (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/13472-switch-clusters-turning.html)

fartin'martin 12-21-2009 05:01 AM

Switch clusters turning

Greeting to one'n'all

One of the things annoying me at the moment is the switch cluster on the throttle side rotating on the bars despite the screws being tight. It doesn't do it whilst riding of course, only when pushing the bike around.

Has anyone out there come up with a definitive method of preventing this?

hyperbuzzin 12-21-2009 09:15 AM

Normally, there is a small tab on the switch housing that goes into a small hole in the handle bars to keep it from moving.
If that tab is gone, like you are experiencing, the housing will rotate.
One thing you could try is to get a thin strip of rubber to go between the housing and the bars.
A strip of sandpaper (cloth backed would be best) could probably also work well.

antiq 12-21-2009 12:28 PM

Two other ways to tighten. 1. lay a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and sand off some of the mating surface of one half of the housing. 2. Using a very small center punch dimple the rounded area that clamps around the bar.

Rook 12-21-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin (Post 123158)
Normally, there is a small tab on the switch housing that goes into a small hole in the handle bars to keep it from moving.
If that tab is gone, like you are experiencing, the housing will rotate.
One thing you could try is to get a thin strip of rubber to go between the housing and the bars.
A strip of sandpaper (cloth backed would be best) could probably also work well.

A strip of aluminium from a beer or soda can also makes a good shim

fartin'martin 12-22-2009 04:57 PM

Thanks for the input fellas.

I'll look into these ideas after the festivities. She who must be obeyed is quite understanding, but fiddling with my bike on Christmas or Boxing day might be pushing it too far!!

It'll be better than watching The Great Escape again though! As much as I like Steve McQueen, you'd think that after all the practice he's had, he'd be able to jump that bloody fence by now!

hyperbuzzin 12-22-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fartin'martin (Post 123249)
you'd think that after all the practice he's had, he'd be able to jump that bloody fence by now!

lmao!!!

VN750Rider/Jerry 12-22-2009 06:11 PM

Steve McQueen was the greatest. Jerry.