Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (https://www.vn750.com/forum/29-equipment/)
-   -   Plexifairing 3 Windshield Questions... (https://www.vn750.com/forum/29-equipment/11859-plexifairing-3-windshield-questions.html)

cliffInMD 07-15-2009 11:39 PM

Plexifairing 3 Windshield Questions...

I've been reading through the forum postings on the PF3 and Memphis Shades windshields. I currently don't have one and I'm considering all of the following:

* PF III
* Memphis Fats (maybe slims)
* National Cycle Custom Heavy Duty

I got to say that in order of looks I prefer the Custom Heavy then the Memphis and finally the PF3 but looks aren't my primary concern. I use my bike for commuting and at highway speeds (65+mph) I get blasted in the helmet and chest area. I'm 6'2" so I don't think I'll have problems "seeing over" any of these shields.

Does the PF3 cause extreme heat problems in the Summer? I'm a little worried that when I put on the windshield that I'll end up with the opposite problem (i.e. no wind in my face at all). Also I'm worried that if I use a smaller shield type (like a sport shield for instance) that I'll just re-direct the air into my upper chest and head because of my height. Any tall riders have some anecdotal words of wisdom here?

Ironman 07-16-2009 01:26 AM

I've had a PF3 for a couple of years now and haven't noticed any heat problems.

lance328 07-16-2009 02:16 AM

I have a PS2 which is the same as the PF3 but without lowers. It keeps the high pressure air off my face and chest but enough air flow to keep you kool in the summer heat. :beerchug:

dragonrider 07-16-2009 09:18 AM

i have the pf3 and love it , it lets enough wind flow to beat the heat and i like the mounting system

accord_guy 07-16-2009 09:34 AM

I have the PF3 and really like how it works. I commute on the interstate also and wouldn't ride without it. It has lowers and protects your hands also.

Hiker 07-16-2009 09:45 AM

I love my 2" shortened PF3, plenty of air to me...

GatecityAl 07-16-2009 11:25 AM

Cliff,
I've had the PF3 for 3 years now and like its function, but hate its looks. My PF3 developed vertical cracks 1-2" long over the headlight and the manufacturer was no help in resolving the problem through replacement or by suggesting repair techniques. I would probably go with a harder, non-acrylic windshield next time.
Al

Knifemaker 07-16-2009 08:16 PM

I'd have to add my vote for the PF3 or the Plexistar 2.

If you do "commute" on your bike with highway riding, it just makes sence to get the most protection. Be it from wind , rain , hail, road debris or the occasional rock tossed at you by a car or truck. You also extend your season as you can ride when the temps go into the 50's or 40's as the screen does a good job of keeping the blast off you when it is cold.

As for when it is hot out, do remember that any shield does not cut you off from airflow fully, and as long as you are moving there is always air moving around you. The design of the Vulcan also seems to always let wind hitting your legs rise up your torso some even with a large windscreen. The only time I tend to feel hot is when I am not moving , where having a windscreen at all or one thats big or small would make no difference anyway.

I have never heard of PF3 or PS2 cracking as Gatecity reported. Most times cracking is the result of using some kind of chemical on the screen you shouldn't have, or from some type of impact. Or from someone trying to modify the screen by cutting it and not finishing it properly.

Acrylic screens are pretty tough. They still use them on aircraft. The problem with using the much stronger plastic , Lexan, is that it scratches easily. National Cycle does sell Lexan screens, but they have a scratch resistant coating on them...and cost alot more than acrylic.

I had mine for almost five years, and bought it used , so not sure how old it was. (I had the PS2 also, which I think fits the Vulcan a bit better than the PF3) If you are 6'2" both NC windscreens should work well for you right out of the box. Us short guys usualy cut ours down some. Both also can be taken off quickly if you feel the need to have your body blasted by the air.

KM

lance328 07-16-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatecityAl (Post 107076)
Cliff,
I've had the PF3 for 3 years now and like its function, but hate its looks. My PF3 developed vertical cracks 1-2" long over the headlight and the manufacturer was no help in resolving the problem through replacement or by suggesting repair techniques. I would probably go with a harder, non-acrylic windshield next time.
Al

My PS2 is over 8 years old and looks the same as it did when it was new, I bought it used. I have never heard of them just cracking, with abuse, misuse or improper mounting anything is possible.

cliffInMD 07-17-2009 08:34 AM

Just bought a PF3 from JCWhitney...we'll so how the install goes..a lot of people seem to gripe about getting the fit "just right" ...