Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Wheels, Suspension and Brakes (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/)
-   -   Brake Pads Replacement (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/10674-brake-pads-replacement.html)

FlaRider 04-25-2009 12:21 AM

Brake Pads Replacement

Greetings Vulcanites --

I've got the front wheel off and waiting for delivery of Oil/Dust seals to finish replacement of fork oil seals. So, in the meantime I'm replacing the front brake pads. I found out how to remove the old pads by doing a forum search! :smiley_th

The new inboard pad is firmly in place but the outboard pad doesn't seem to attach firmly. If I jiggle the caliper assembly the outboard pad wants to fall out. Is this normal? I haven't tried to put the wheel on yet because I still need to finish the seals. Will I be able to put the pads onto the disk by holding them in place?

Thanx! :beerchug:

lance328 04-25-2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaRider (Post 94002)
Greetings Vulcanites --

I've got the front wheel off and waiting for delivery of Oil/Dust seals to finish replacement of fork oil seals. So, in the meantime I'm replacing the front brake pads. I found out how to remove the old pads by doing a forum search! :smiley_th

The new inboard pad is firmly in place but the outboard pad doesn't seem to attach firmly. If I jiggle the caliper assembly the outboard pad wants to fall out. Is this normal? I haven't tried to put the wheel on yet because I still need to finish the seals. Will I be able to put the pads onto the disk by holding them in place?

Once installed and compressed they will be fine. I do suggest you use Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic fluid. :smiley_th

Make sure inboard pad is seated properly.

FlaRider 04-25-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance328 (Post 94026)
Once installed and compressed they will be fine. I do suggest you use Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic fluid. :smiley_th

Thanx Lance! :smiley_th

FlaRider 04-27-2009 11:48 AM

UPDATE: Brake Pads Replacement Finished!

Howdy Folks --

I was having withdrawal symptoms from not riding in 2 weeks. Instead, I've been waiting on parts and wrenching to fix the last set of gremlins: leaking seals, fork oil on brake pads, 2nd melted R/R connector.

Everythings is done now including brake pads replacement and bleeding of very old brake fluid (see photo below). I don't think the fluid was EVER changed. One screw on the master cylinder was completely rounded/stripped. I used an extractor/easy out to remove and replace the screw. WOW! It felt great to finally go on a short ride tonight especially after doing all my own wrenching WITH THIS FORUM'S HELP! :smiley_th Everything seems to be working well!

When I removed the old bleed valve to replace it with a speed bleeder the fluid drained much quicker than I expected. Hence, the master cylinder went dry. So, I had to remove the union bolt and bleed the master cylinder--WHAT A FREEKIN MESS !^%*> :mad:

NEWBIE TIP: Stand by with an open can of brake fluid--DO NOT let the master cylinder run dry! :doh:

Life is good again! At least until the next attack of the gremlins.

My thanx to Lance and everyone for your help in fixing all the many gremlins over the last few weeks! :beerchug:

================================================== ========

Quote:

Hey Lance --

UPDATE: Still working on the front brakes while waiting for fork seals.

On the right caliper the inboard and outboard pads are both now securely in place. :smiley_th

On the left caliper the inboard pad is securely seated in place; however, I can't get the outboard pad to snap in at all. Also, the space between the two pads seems very narrow. I did remove a bit of brake fluid from the master cylinder to make room for the new pads.

Can I just hold the outboard pad in place when I mount the caliper onto the disk? Will that work?

Thanx!

lance328 04-27-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaRider (Post 94404)
Hey Lance --

UPDATE: Still working on the front brakes while waiting for fork seals.

On the right caliper the inboard and outboard pads are both now securely in place. :smiley_th

On the left caliper the inboard pad is securely seated in place; however, I can't get the outboard pad to snap in at all. Also, the space between the two pads seems very narrow. I did remove a bit of brake fluid from the master cylinder to make room for the new pads.

Can I just hold the outboard pad in place when I mount the caliper onto the disk? Will that work?

Thanx!

Did you compress the pistons in ALL the way? :beerchug:

FlaRider 04-27-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance328 (Post 94484)
Did you compress the pistons in ALL the way? :beerchug:

Lance --

I squeezed them really hard and they finally compressed all the way.

Many Thanx!! :beerchug:

FlaRider 04-29-2009 10:34 PM

Synthetic vs. Non-Synthetic Brake fluid?

Quote:

Hey Lance --

What is the advantage of Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic brake fluid? I stayed with non-synthetic this time but I will upgrade to steel brake lines in the future. I may want to switch to Synthetic at that time.

lance328 04-29-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaRider (Post 94811)
Hey Lance --

What is the advantage of Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic brake fluid? I stayed with non-synthetic this time but I will upgrade to steel brake lines in the future. I may want to switch to Synthetic at that time.

It will not break down by heat and has a higher flash point. Better braking, less spongy feel. Last longer and is less suseptible to absorbe moisture. :beerchug:

750Doug 04-29-2009 10:51 PM

FlaRider,

I've been running synthetic in mine for a year now and the brakes still feel real good. You can buy the small bottle pretty cheap and it's enough to flush and fill.

You won't regret using it it. If you do.

FlaRider 04-29-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 750Doug (Post 94818)
FlaRider,

I've been running synthetic in mine for a year now and the brakes still feel real good. You can buy the small bottle pretty cheap and it's enough to flush and fill.

You won't regret using it it. If you do.

Doug and Lance --

Is there any special procedure for removing all of the non-synthetic fluid? Do you have to change the brake lines?

Thanx for your explanations! :beerchug: