Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Wheels, Suspension and Brakes (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/)
-   -   Front Brake Rub (https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheels-suspension-brakes/10667-front-brake-rub.html)

FalseFiction1 04-24-2009 03:40 PM

Front Brake Rub

So I took my bike the the dealership to have a new front tire put on (Metzler ME880 -- good call everybody). I then decided to break in the tire as well. 200+ parkway miles later I came home.

When I was pulling the bike into my basement I noticed that when I turn the bars real sharp, there is a lot more brake rub than normal. Almost to the point where it is difficult to move.

I'm supposed to drop it off at the dealership on Monday morning. The guy said that if it needs parts, they take about a week to get in. I could live with that, but I am supposed to leave for a four day ride on Thursday morning.

I don't know what to do. I don't have a jack to take the tire off to look around. What do I do? Could I fix this myself?

AJCruzin 04-24-2009 07:52 PM

Check that the caliper bolts are torqued to spec. If one is loose, it **could** possibly bind up on the rotor.

Knifemaker 04-24-2009 09:15 PM

The brakes being actualted by hydrolic lines should not rub more when you turn the bars, unless you are pinching a brake line somehow.

You might want to loosen up the axle pinch bolts and then retorque them to make sure the forks are not flexed somehow. (after checking the calipher bolts per AJcruzin's post)

But if the pads rub they should feel the same no matter which way you turn the bars.

KM

FalseFiction1 04-25-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJCruzin (Post 93955)
Check that the caliper bolts are torqued to spec. If one is loose, it **could** possibly bind up on the rotor.

Which bolt is the caliper bolt and how tight is it supposed to be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knifemaker (Post 93968)
The brakes being actualted by hydrolic lines should not rub more when you turn the bars, unless you are pinching a brake line somehow.

You might want to loosen up the axle pinch bolts and then retorque them to make sure the forks are not flexed somehow.

I checked the lines. Nothing is pinched. Which bolts are the axle pinch bolts and what should they be torqued to?

During any of this, should I be worried about brake fluid dripping down onto the floor? Just curious.

Thanks guys.

lance328 04-25-2009 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalseFiction1 (Post 94021)
Which bolt is the caliper bolt and how tight is it supposed to be?

I checked the lines. Nothing is pinched. Which bolts are the axle pinch bolts and what should they be torqued to?

During any of this, should I be worried about brake fluid dripping down onto the floor? Just curious.

Thanks guys.

The pinch bolt is on the left if you are in front looking at the axle bolt. Loosen pinch bolt and torque axle nut to 43 ft. lbs. then pinch bolt to 9.5 ft. lbs. :smiley_th

You may need new bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!

seebeeare 04-25-2009 05:50 AM

u sure its brakes? id lean towards the axel nut but what about the speedo gear is in tweaked in place? the soacer set right? id look at everytheing they touched its gotta be simple and i doubt if its gonna be parts ....ride it on thur anyway just dont turn the wheels sharp!!!