Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.vn750.com/forum/35-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Blue wire mod issue (https://www.vn750.com/forum/35-new-member-introductions/104419-blue-wire-mod-issue.html)

Craigconey 07-25-2019 07:08 AM

Blue wire mod issue

Hi, I have a 2003 and Iíve been loving every second of it until recently. My headlight stopped working. I did the blue wire mod and the light works! Great except now it wonít start. Iíve charged it and then it starts but it needs another charge again or it will strand me. So I switched it back to the original spot for the wire and it doesnít drain the battery but now Iím back to where I started with no headlight. Was there something I missed with the mod? Thanks

Spockster 07-25-2019 07:21 AM

What are the charging volts?

Craigconey 07-25-2019 03:07 PM

Iím sorry Iím not sure what you mean exactly. When I rev it it goes up to 11.5 then goes down. I know thatís much lower than it should. But itís showing the meter go up but not staying anywhere substantial (with blue wire mod). Not sure if this answers your question. Thank you

Thorn 07-25-2019 03:30 PM

One of the three wires from the stator acts as a trigger for the headlight relay, so if that wire isn't getting voltage, you have no headlight (unless you do the blue-wire mod). Or your relay has burned out.

Doing the blue-wire mod doesn't really re-route the circuit so that it uses any NEW components that might be causing a vampiric drain. It's more likely that your stator and battery are limping along just barely keeping you on the road when your headlight is off, but when the headlight is on, you're drawing more amps than you're producing, and you eventually run out of pixies.

11.5 is more than "lower than it should". It's "failing horribly".

I recommend you yank the 10-pin connector out of the junction box, remove the yellow wire, then plug the connector back in. Start the bike and check for AC voltage between the yellow wire and the bike frame. Don't let that wire touch anything while the bike is running! If you don't read something like 5v AC (don't know the "good" range) there at idle, your stator is fried.

Craigconey 07-25-2019 03:43 PM

Thanks, is it possible I just need a new battery?

Thorn 07-25-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craigconey (Post 1278191)
Thanks, is it possible I just need a new battery?

Very unlikely. The battery mostly has an effect on starting. For the purposes of this conversation, the bike should run on it's own without the battery once the engine was running.

Craigconey 07-25-2019 05:37 PM

It never dies once running ever. It just wonít start after a couple times since the mod and will start everytime when I reverse the mod to stock. But no headlight

Thorn 07-25-2019 05:46 PM

Hopefully the recommendations in comment 4 will shed some more light on the situation. While digging around in the wiring, it's probably worth checking the output of each stator lead, and checking for a short-to-ground.

Craigconey 07-25-2019 09:26 PM

This was my first post but Iíve skimmed through stuff on here before. Pretty amazing response times. Thank you Iíll check some stuff out

Craigconey 07-31-2019 05:21 PM

For a week I was just riding in the day with the headlight off and the blue wire mod back to stock so the light doesn’t work and it fired up perfect everytime. Now, I redid the blue wire mod so I have a light and unhooking the 10pin box whenever I stop or overnight. Plug it back in and it’s started everytime. Somehow it must be drawing off the battery with it hooked in(connected)and not when it’s unhooked (disconnected). Do I just need to add a switch to make this function less of a pain in the ass? Why is the blue wire mod drawing power when it’s off? Thanks