Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   I'm not starting another seat thread.... (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/10424-im-not-starting-another-seat-thread.html)

msh1156 04-06-2009 03:06 PM

I'm not starting another seat thread....

...but my ass hurts!!

It was beautiful this weekend in the Charlotte, NC area and I must have spent over seven hours actual riding. I even passed another '03 750 on Sunday on Johnston Road (in case you are here).

The thing is the longer I rode the more I began to notice how really uncomfortable I was. A 24 mile commute is one thing, but the extended rides left me wondering what to do. (The boards and peg mounts from Chad have been ordered) I can't afford a Corbin, or even justify that cost; Mustangs are scarce as hen's teeth and the moment you hear about one someone else grabs it (still - wicked expensive); The Saddelmen Explorer is up for debate and it will be weeks before we get a report on it (again - expensive); I'm not confident in the least about rebuilding my own seat, and paying someone over 200 bucks to put new foam and gel in the thing won't make it wider or further back - not to mention while it's being done, I've got nothin'. At 6', 225 I'm not small, but I even think my handlebars may need some more pullback. Frankly, I'm a little pissed. I'm wondering if in my haste I bought the wrong bike.

accord_guy 04-06-2009 03:25 PM

Don't think you bought the wrong bike. ALL stock seats are really bad. Keep looking for a Mustang or go with something else. It's well worth the money.

Jace Bror 04-06-2009 03:48 PM

I have to agree with you. I am brokering a deal right now to get a mustang (with the wife mainly) But our height does seem to be a restriction on this bike. I have moved the bars around and can't find a spot I like. Thinkin bout apes, but thats pricey, plus that means a lot of stuff to replace, cables, hoses, wiring. But despite all that I still love this bike.

hyperbuzzin 04-06-2009 04:02 PM

I think I'm one of the few here who doesn't get too bothered by the stock seat.
I've done several weekend/1000mile + rides as well as many 300mile single day rides and never had too much of a problem.
Sure, sitting for extended periods gets to me, but no more so than if I were to be sitting in my Jeep for the same time.
But then again, I got into motorcycling on dirtbikes, so getting used to the even more uncomfortable feeling of a dirtbike seat kinda got me thinking the stock Vulcan seat is actually comfortable compared to a dirtbike seat.

Have you considered a seat cushion? AirHawk is often brought up here.

wvshaneb 04-06-2009 04:03 PM

I got a new(er) stock seat on ebay for about $80. It had one season of riding on it. It's much better than the one that came on my '99, but still not great. I can ride an hour or two now before my butt starts hurting as apposed to the 30 to 45 minutes before.

Like you, I can't justify Corbin prices and odds of finding a Mustang are only slightly better than winning the lottery, so I'm trying to redo my old seat. I'm trying to make it a little wider and sit a little lower in hopes to gain a little back support. I'm about $40 into it with the foam and spray adhesive. I'll probably have to pay someone to do a cover for it because I don't think the old one will fit when I'm done. At the rate I'm going though it will be several weeks before I'm done. Seems like the nice days I'm riding and the other days are too cold to work in the garage.:doh:

I found some good info at http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ but I'm kinda just winging it too. If it turns out alright, I'll get some pictures up. If it turns out bad, I may put the pictures up anyway and maybe someone can tell me how I could do it better!!

jabarry 04-06-2009 04:15 PM

I decided to actually shell out for the Corbin last year and glad I did. I love it. All rear ends are different though. I am 5-11 and relatively athletic and trim.

Jace Bror 04-06-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabarry (Post 91004)
I am 5-11 and relatively athletic and trim.

braggart...

msh1156 04-06-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabarry (Post 91004)
All rear ends are different though. I am 5-11 and relatively athletic and trim.

Hmmm. What are you wearing?

Hiker 04-06-2009 04:59 PM

Yes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin (Post 91001)
I think I'm one of the few here who doesn't get too bothered by the stock seat.
I've done several weekend/1000mile + rides as well as many 300mile single day rides and never had too much of a problem.
Sure, sitting for extended periods gets to me, but no more so than if I were to be sitting in my Jeep for the same time.
But then again, I got into motorcycling on dirtbikes, so getting used to the even more uncomfortable feeling of a dirtbike seat kinda got me thinking the stock Vulcan seat is actually comfortable compared to a dirtbike seat.

I second that. I have no problem with the seat.

msh1156 04-06-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin (Post 91001)
Have you considered a seat cushion? AirHawk is often brought up here.

Yes I have. For an air pillow I thought it was just too much money, and I don't want to be raised up higher. I may try (believe it or not) a gel seat pad made for a Kayak, or even some wood beads. The sheepskin pad didn't work either.