Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Carbs and Fuel System (https://www.vn750.com/forum/22-carbs-fuel-system/)
-   -   Rejetting after ear shave? (https://www.vn750.com/forum/22-carbs-fuel-system/104163-rejetting-after-ear-shave.html)

Ty Gauthier 06-06-2019 10:19 PM

Rejetting after ear shave?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I've been riding my Vulcan for a while after I finished my ear shave. It runs just about as well as it did before I performed the mod. I was wondering about rejetting the carbs and wanted to know where you buy your jets and which ones I should replace. I have a stock exhaust on the bike and mostly did the mod just to get better access to the carbs. Do you recommend rejetting? Will there be any negatives to me leaving the jets alone? What are your thoughts?

Thank you. :smiley_th

JimFavors 06-07-2019 01:08 AM

Try NicheCycleSupply.com. I was able to get 135 & 138 from them.
I think I got the '40' from Power-Barn.com

Just curious, which are filters did you use?

ubertalldude 06-07-2019 07:38 AM

If it runs right and the jets & carbs were clean, don't bother rejetting.

If you have running issues or upgrade your exhaust later, consider rejetting.

Ty Gauthier 06-07-2019 09:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The most concerning issue I have right now is after a ride I have a small leak of fuel coming out of the float chamber. One of my bowls has a stripped out screw that's in there good, I'm guessing that's what it's making it leak.

The bike also backfires a bit when it's warming up in the morning. Not loud, but kind of annoying.

I used Emgo pod filters.

Spockster 06-07-2019 10:58 AM

Still running stock jets on mine.

ubertalldude 06-07-2019 03:28 PM

The backfiring is odd, is that only with the choke on?

Stripped out screw is no good, you might be able to get it out with vice grips and replace it. Ace Hardware/Fastenal will likely have an acceptable replacement (probably not a bad idea to replace with hex screws instead of the stock JIS screws. JIS screwdrivers are hard to find in the states, and using a Philips head screwdriver can strip them very quickly) Also worth replaceing the O--rings in the float bowls and the jet chambers, they were trash on mine and would have leaked badly had I reused them. Expensive, but worth it to replace.

BigA1991 06-07-2019 04:18 PM

You didnít rejet when you changed to pod filters? Just wondering Iíve got a cut in one of my air box boots and was thinking of doing the ear shave mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Pittenger 06-07-2019 07:41 PM

I just got mine tuned in tonight, with 40/140. But I pulled my mufflers. Others with stock exhaust didn't need to rejet. If it runs fine, then leave it as is.

Spockster 06-07-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigA1991 (Post 1275715)
You didnít rejet when you changed to pod filters? Just wondering Iíve got a cut in one of my air box boots and was thinking of doing the ear shave mod.

Running Uni PK92 filters, stock jets, and stock exhaust for the past six years. It will pull past redline if I let it. 44mpg.

BigA1991 06-07-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Pittenger (Post 1275717)
I just got mine tuned in tonight, with 40/140. But I pulled my mufflers. Others with stock exhaust didn't need to rejet. If it runs fine, then leave it as is.

Guy I got mine off already cut all that out. And pulled baffles.