Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   VN 750 Decompression Valve (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/104083-vn-750-decompression-valve.html)

Swinpy22 05-26-2019 05:11 PM

VN 750 Decompression Valve

Hi All,

Does my 1993 VN750 have a decompression value? if yes, where is it?

My bike struggles to turn over and I've been reading about why this might be and came across a few posts about Vulcan 1500/ 2000 that have decompression values which get stuck open and make the bike hard to turn over/ start.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Thorn 05-26-2019 06:56 PM

No decompression valve on the 750. First thing to do for this bike would be to get the battery tested, and if it's not in really good condition, replace with an AGM. An old battery even fully charged might not have enough oomph.

Chris and Shim 05-26-2019 08:06 PM

I concur. For some reason this species machine does not like regular, wet batteries. The bike will seem hard to start even if the battery shows good readings. AGM-type batteries fix the issue (as long as it IS a battery only issue). An AGM battery can make all the difference in the world.

Swinpy22 05-27-2019 04:57 AM

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Pete

trev uk 05-27-2019 05:38 AM

See original post

VN750Rider/Jerry 05-28-2019 12:26 AM

I am on my 3rd Vulcan 750. First two were bought new. one peculiar thing I noticed about all of them is how slowly they turned over, even when connected to a big truck battery (12V) with way more amperage than the VN750 starter needs. This is common for long stroke motors, like a Harley, or my Royal Enfield Bullet, but the VN750 has an ultra short stroke motor, and should spin over very fast with a good battery. But it doesn't. I don't know if the starter simply lacks enough power or what. The VN750 has always had hard starting problems, both warm and cold. I've heard a lot of theories about why, but nobody has ever figured it out to my knowledge. The Vulcan 750 has a lot of quirks and problems, if it were some other bike most owners would quickly get rid of them. The thing is, when they work properly, they work really good, and a lot of solutions have been found for their various problems. I live in AZ, the land of HOT, and I found that leaving the choke off, opening the throttle all the way, cranking it a couple of turns, then closing the throttle and hitting the starter button starts it right up. But while these bikes have a lot of common issues, they are also not exactly alike. What works with one may not work with another.