Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   750 vulcan problem (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/103597-750-vulcan-problem.html)

PaulVopals 02-04-2019 11:28 AM

750 vulcan problem

Hi, don't know if anyone else has experienced this but when I'm in 5th gear going about 45 mph steady, depending where I position my right leg can cause bike to buck and sputter. It's when my foot is on the peg and my leg is close into bike (especially hugging fuel tank) but when I put my right foot on cruise bar it runs like a champ. I've taped up spark plug leads and sheathed the wires up to the coil in case it was leaking or arching. I also checked under the seat to see if when I move my foot it changes riding position thus pinching or arching. I also checked all grounds. I'm fairly mechanical but this one is really a mystery and makes no sense. Any ideas? Thanks

TonyO 02-04-2019 01:23 PM

Could the carb breather be in an odd place? Air flow over you leg adversely affects the carbs but only when the flow is just so?

Knifemaker 02-04-2019 04:32 PM

Yes. Check the carb vent hose that fits into to back of the right airbox.

Spockster 02-04-2019 05:30 PM

Check the carb vents, and run it in the dark to see if the plug boots are arcing. The front right likes to arc to the throttle cables.

PaulVopals 02-04-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knifemaker (Post 1271685)
Yes. Check the carb vent hose that fits into to back of the right airbox.

Hi, thank you for the reply. I have inspected that hose and found nothing unusual. It's crazy. Never seen anything like this. It seems electrical in nature but...?

PaulVopals 02-04-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spockster (Post 1271687)
Check the carb vents, and run it in the dark to see if the plug boots are arcing. The front right likes to arc to the throttle cables.

Yes Spockster, I think you are getting warm . The throttle cables were touching boot when I bought bike and that was first thing I addressed. I agree, I need to run bike in the dark. Thank you.

PaulVopals 02-05-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulVopals (Post 1271691)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spockster (Post 1271687)

Yes Spockster, I think you are getting warm . The throttle cables were touching boot when I bought bike and that was first thing I addressed. I agree, I need to run bike in the dark. Thank you.

Update:
Up early this morning to follow up on vent hose which everyone seemed to surmise. I was checking each line coming off carbs and found an open end stuffed under other lines. Checked manuel for hose routing and guess what.....? You guys are good! Bike running as it should. Thanks Brothers!

Spockster 02-06-2019 11:39 AM

After thinking about the plug wire issue, it shouldn't affect running as bad as described. Two plugs per cylinder!

Glad you found the problem!

PaulVopals 02-10-2019 10:51 AM

750 vulcan passenger foot rest

Top of the morning to all.
I'd like to install larger passenger foot rests on my 1995 750 vulcan. Do they make oem or aftermarket ones or can the originals be modified? Many thanks.

Spockster 02-10-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulVopals (Post 1271773)
Top of the morning to all.
I'd like to install larger passenger foot rests on my 1995 750 vulcan. Do they make oem or aftermarket ones or can the originals be modified? Many thanks.

None in aftermarket, but you can modify to get what you need.