Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   Carbs and Fuel System (https://www.vn750.com/forum/22-carbs-fuel-system/)
-   -   Carb Help (https://www.vn750.com/forum/22-carbs-fuel-system/103161-carb-help.html)

Stvz11 09-06-2018 03:17 PM

Carb Help

So I’ve got a 750 that has been sitting for quite some time that my uncle gave me. I figure how hard can it be to get it running? Well, After draining the tank, changing all fluids, replacing plugs it is now running. When I first got it started it would run at idle but stalled as soon as you touched the throttle. After a bottle or three of carb cleaner and half tank of new fuel with sea foam through it now runs but won’t idle. I’m able to ride it, but I have to keep the throttle up to keep it running when stopped. I look like a tool revving a stock 750 at every traffic light. I’m currently at a loss. I don’t know what else to do at this point to get it to idle. Any suggestion or feedback would be helpful and appreciated.

Stvz11 09-06-2018 03:23 PM

Failed to mention that I also replaced the stock air cleaners with K&N air cleaners. No ear shave, just the K&N replacment filter.

LandyLou 09-06-2018 03:26 PM

I had a similar problem when I got my Vulcan. She had been sitting for 2 years. Some of the veterans might give you more specific advise, but I would just leave the choke on a bit so you donít have to keep on the throttle, and keep running that Seafoam. Mine took several tanks before all of my carb issues went away. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liquidmetal 09-06-2018 03:37 PM

Sounds like the pilot jet(s) in the carbs are plugged up or nearly so. Seafoam might be able to clean the carbs out on its own, but don't be surprised if you have to pull the carbs apart and clean them yourself.

Knifemaker 09-06-2018 04:33 PM

^ This.

Pilot jets are tiny and a bitch to clean out.. if I think they are clogged from sitting for years, I'd just put in new ones.

ubertalldude 09-06-2018 05:10 PM

Yeah, you can also get to the pilot jets without completely removing the carbs. You gotta unseat them a little bit and shift them, but it's possible. I took the stock pilot jets from mine and soaked them in ChemDip for a few weeks, nothing, still completely clogged, and ChemDip is WAY WAY stronger than Seafoam. Sometimes after such a long time those tiny holes are just plain clogged unless you clean them out with the right sized drill bit or maybe some guitar strings, but best bet is some new pilot jets.

pjmotorsports.com is my favorite place for jets. look in my signature for the part number you'll need. Stock pilots should be fine, you'll need 2 (one for each carb, of course)

TonyO 09-06-2018 06:15 PM

Clogged Pilot Jet for sure. Seafoam is good when there is some flow, it dissolves the crud which gets carried away. Probably going to have to mechanically clean the jets or simply replace them. I have a spare set I keep cleaned in a dime bag so I can simply swap them out.

Stvz11 09-23-2018 11:09 PM

So supposedly from a lot of reading there is a way to get to the pilot jet without completely removing the carb. I can’t seem to find anything that I’ve read or watched that shows me how this can be done. Does anyone have any good videos on this task or should I just remove the whole carb?

I’m really starting to think this is a job for a professional. Unless someone can prove to me that it isn’t as hard as it looks. I’m no mechanic but I’m pretty handy. I’ve worked on cars and small engine carbs with success, but this looks mich more involved that I want to get. I don’t know if I want to tackle this and getting halfway through it and needing to take it somewhere is only going to cause more problems and cost more. There is literately ZERO room around these carbs. Any advice??

ubertalldude 09-25-2018 12:26 PM

I've been able to get them out without fully removing the carbs, but I don't have the stock intake system and did still have to unseat the carbs from the cylinder head intake boots, which would probably not be possible with the stock airbox in place, maybe it is though, I've never tried. You can use a small or right-angle screwdriver to get the float bowls off and get to the pilot jets to replace.

Even though the pilot jets may be the whole problem, they could also be a PART of the problem, with some of the carb passages are gummed up. Get a couple quotes from shops if you don't feel comfortable doing so, but honestly the carbs aren't that difficult, and it's a satisfying job if you like that kinda stuff. No matter what way you approach it, it's a difficult job, but I reckon it's somewhat of a rite of passage around here. We've ALL had to deal with the carbs at some point, myself included.

BTW where do you live?

Spockster 09-25-2018 01:17 PM

Somebody in the past few months posted the correct sizes to swap the screws for hex heads. If keeping the airbox, and possibly inclined to pull the jets this way, it's highly recommended.

As ubertall said, a clogged passage will probably require pulling the carbs.

I started using a cheap ultrasonic cleaner with white vinegar to clean jets. Works great, even the ones with concrete in them. Still have to rod them out with wire, but they soften right up.