Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Motor cuts-out on occasion. (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/10236-motor-cuts-out-occasion.html)

aagoodguy2002 03-22-2009 08:17 PM

Motor cuts-out on occasion.

My 750 runs fine, except on occasion it cuts-out and stops running. It's like the kill switch activates, and all stop. I can pull over and restart..no problem. I'll ride 50 or so miles and no problem..then another day..20 or so miles, and it does it again. Any help please. Thanks

lance328 03-22-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aagoodguy2002 (Post 88864)
My 750 runs fine, except on occasion it cuts-out and stops running. It's like the kill switch activates, and all stop. I can pull over and restart..no problem. I'll ride 50 or so miles and no problem..then another day..20 or so miles, and it does it again. Any help please. Thanks

Spray some lube into the plunger on your side stand switch, sometimes they will stick and cause the engine to stop. :smiley_th

slimvulcanrider 03-22-2009 10:07 PM

I had this problem last fall...as it gets ready to or does die...before the bike stops moving...try turning off/on the ignition key switch...if it starts right back up and takes off...your ignition switch is a little loose.

lance328 03-22-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider (Post 88885)
I had this problem last fall...as it gets ready to or does die...before the bike stops moving...try turning off/on the ignition key switch...if it starts right back up and takes off...your ignition switch is a little loose.

I have to go with Slim on that!! :beerchug:

Vulcanian 03-24-2009 01:19 AM

So I've had the same problem on occasion. I've also noticed that sometimes I have to turn the key to the left AND the right of "run" before the starter will engage. Where am I looking for a loose ignition wire?
A little off subject, but is there a kill switch for if you turn the front wheel too far? I was warming up the bike today and trying to turn it around in a tight spot and if I turned the bars all the way it would kill the motor. Is there a kill switch or is this maybe the ignition as well?

Thanks!

rubyrick 03-24-2009 01:50 AM

Might also be the "phantom out of gas syndrome."

750Doug 03-24-2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcanian (Post 89089)
So I've had the same problem on occasion. I've also noticed that sometimes I have to turn the key to the left AND the right of "run" before the starter will engage. Where am I looking for a loose ignition wire?
A little off subject, but is there a kill switch for if you turn the front wheel too far? I was warming up the bike today and trying to turn it around in a tight spot and if I turned the bars all the way it would kill the motor. Is there a kill switch or is this maybe the ignition as well?

Thanks!

No kill switch at the handlebar locks.

The problem is in the area of the wire harness as it curves around the head tube to the ignition switch. It's not uncommon.

dragon159 03-24-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcanian (Post 89089)

Thanks!

^^X2
I had the same problem when turning hard right. Ended up being the wires coming out of the switch were rubbed through but mine also was popping fuses for the lights.

fergy 03-24-2009 04:02 PM

Definitely sounds like a short.

aagoodguy2002 03-24-2009 08:39 PM

Are they the wires coming out of the "kill switch" that were rubbing, and if yes, were exactly were they making contact?