Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums (https://www.vn750.com/forum/)
-   VN750 General Discussion (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/)
-   -   Keys (https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/100410-keys.html)

bassace 03-05-2018 02:33 PM

Keys

Quick question to the group. How hard is it to "break into" the gas tank and rear storage compartment? Bought a 750 with only one ignition key. I'm guessing I'll have to gas her up sooner or later, LOL.

Is this something a locksmith can do, or a dealership? Looking for any tips or hints

michiganteddybear 03-05-2018 03:40 PM

all locks on the vn750 where keyed similarly..

the ign key is all thats needed to open tank, trunk, and helmet locks.

im sure a locksmith would be able to open them, the tank would be the hardest to 'pick', because the lock cylinder is under tension from the springs/gasket for sealing the cap.

the helmet locks (or is it the trunk lock) only use 1/2 of the key to open, so therefore they will be the easiest to pick.

if you really need to get the gas cap off without a key, there is a roll pin at the hinge end of the it (back), that can be driven out with a punch and the cap will pop off with no problems, then you can disassemble the cap to get the lock out and a key made from that if needed.

I will add, that if your ign key dont fit, something has been changed at some time

bassace 03-05-2018 03:45 PM

Thank you very much. I'll try it tonight

flitecontrol 03-05-2018 10:54 PM

I suggest you have a couple of duplicates made of that key and then put it away in a safe place. Use the copies, the original won't get worn out, and you will have an original key if you ever need more copies.

lugnut1009 03-07-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassace (Post 1245378)
Thank you very much. I'll try it tonight

Also, from personal experience, if the gas cap seems tight and hard to turn, press down on it relieving the tension so you don't twist or break off your key. I bent one of mine a little when we first got them.

mikeyt 03-08-2018 10:31 AM

The first lock Iíve ever picked was on my VN750 gas cap! My uncle tried jamming a screwdriver into it but that did not work out well. Boogered up the face of the cap and the tumbler cover flap thing.

I had a spare gas tank sitting around and practiced on it. Took about 15 minutes or so the first time. I just used a small pick and flat head. Canít say itís the easiest lock to pick, but it was the easiest for me.

After removing the cap I took it to the locksmith and they had a key made for me same day with 3 duplicates for chump change. Unfortunately I had to use the spare tankís cap because the other was ruined. Now I use two keys but itís better than what I had before.

Hopefully you can get this issue resolved in a timely manner.

majdsaster 03-09-2018 06:56 PM

If you have the original key there will be a number stamped into it. A locksmith can use that number to make replacement keys.

CharlieTheodore 10-04-2019 12:28 PM

I will keep in mind that thing and surely contact locksmith frisco experts, give them an original key number so that they will make new key easily.