Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums - Reply to Topic
VN750 General Discussion

Thread: Trip Meter Question Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
12-15-2013 12:19 AM
VN750Rider/Jerry I see speedometers and odometers the same as heating/cooling thermostats in your house. The are not totally accurate, but they are accurate enough to serve their purpose. The speedometer (digital electronic mess) never worked on my former '85 Goldwing. But the tachometer did, and it had a digital gear indicator that also worked. After riding for a while with a cheap Garmin eTrex velcroed to the fairing, I learned to figure speed based on the gear I was in and engine rpm.
12-10-2013 02:36 AM
WilliamTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by frandy19 View Post
Wow I see now I am not the only one with the same issue. It is not a problem to me but just wanted to hear what everyone had to say about it. But, yes, it would be interesting to open the whole thing apart and see what is wrong. But it's not worth the money or time. And I do agree that the speedometer could be inaccurate because in my bike I feel it shows a faster speed than the speed I feel I'm actually going.
Previous threads will read the opinion is 9 -10 %

12-09-2013 10:27 PM
frandy19 Wow I see now I am not the only one with the same issue. It is not a problem to me but just wanted to hear what everyone had to say about it. But, yes, it would be interesting to open the whole thing apart and see what is wrong. But it's not worth the money or time. And I do agree that the speedometer could be inaccurate because in my bike I feel it shows a faster speed than the speed I feel I'm actually going.
12-09-2013 10:14 PM
OlHossCanada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
We are.



The odometer on the bike is in fact accurate. (Within reason) the speedometer isn't. Not sure why.
What KM says seems to be the general consensus on this board when running a stock sized front tire, ie. 100/90-19.

It is not a unanimous opinion though. One member sent me a PM some time ago and says his speedo is accurate with the stock 100/90-19 tire. I cannot explain why he gets different results.

According to most who have checked, changing out to a 110/90-19 makes the speedo more accurate and the odometer less accurate.

The flat prairie farm land here in Alberta is surveyed into rectangular blocks 1 mile by 2 miles, with roads separating the sections, so it is pretty easy to check the accuracy of the odometer on many highways, even without a gps unit. I have not checked mine yet though. I will have to remember to do it next summer.
12-07-2013 08:58 PM
Knifemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
the only thing i don't like about gps is i feel like someone is watching me.

We are.



The odometer on the bike is in fact accurate. (Within reason) the speedometer isn't. Not sure why.
A GPS is only accurate on flat level ground, as it tracks your movement from one coordinate to another by satellite. (Going up or down a hill covers more distance than what's seen from above)

But in the grand scheme of things, they are all just useless numbers provided for your reference, like time. Unfortunately .....the cop that pulls you over begs to differ.
12-07-2013 04:01 PM
OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
at least your trip meter reads some resemblance of distance... mine just randomly spins numbers
at least it works
12-07-2013 04:00 PM
OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
While I don't believe anything is completely accurate, I do believe that GPS is about the most accurate thing available, and far more accurate than any mechanical speedometer or odometer.
the only thing i don't like about gps is i feel like someone is watching me.
12-07-2013 01:39 AM
VN750Rider/Jerry While I don't believe anything is completely accurate, I do believe that GPS is about the most accurate thing available, and far more accurate than any mechanical speedometer or odometer.
12-06-2013 07:09 PM
michiganteddybear at least your trip meter reads some resemblance of distance... mine just randomly spins numbers
12-06-2013 06:34 PM
Vulcan2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by frandy19 View Post
And as far as I know the bike has never been dropped. Previous owner claimed that it was never dropped and there is no sign of that on the bike either. But I know the odometer is accurate because I have compared distance traveled on my GPS and they both match.
Wow! Be careful how loud you say that here because there are many that will argue that it can't be accurate and some others will argue that everything is inaccurate which makes me wonder what they used for comparison checking since there is nothing accurate to compare it to. lol It seems that you can not change the gears inside from what I am reading here but if you do obtain a second unit it may just be fun to open your old one to look it over yourself and find out what the problem is/was. Good luck.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome