|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|05-28-2013 01:25 PM|
Decided to de-rust the gas tank while I'm waiting on some new parts to arrive. Tank wasn't horrible, at least I've certainly seen worse, but it looks quite pretty now...
|05-22-2013 04:35 AM|
I left the front exhaust manifold and rear mount on and could have pulled the engine with no problem, IF I could have handled the weight by myself, those days are gone.
I'd say I could probably lift it into place, or at least onto the jack, using the ratchet straps. The way I used the jack for the swing and tilt worked out perfect.
The new ratchet straps that retract like seat belts are fantastic! I use them first, for everything now. They're not as long, but handy to use.
I have some pics, but no time for posting right now.
|05-22-2013 01:54 AM|
I'd forgotten about the need to realign the swing arm with it's removal. Been awhile since I read up on that part of the manual. Think I might pass on that as the swing arm doesn't add that much weight.
When I removed the engine, I hadn't realized that the right side of the upper rear mount point on the frame is removable. That would have made removal so much easier. I may still end up taking the forks out and strap the swing arm up to keep it from flopping. If that fails, then I'll just got with the normal lifting it with the jack.
Wish the powder coat kit would work for me, but I don't have an oven large enough for that frame :-/
Either way, I got the rust ground out and some spray enamel on the frame for protection, TOC side cover installed on the engine and the carbs cleaned up.
I still need to try and get the broken exhaust stud out, ran out of time and didn't get a chance to attack it, but I've been hitting it with PB blaster to hopefully soak through the crud and rust that's holding it in. If that's not enough to let it break loose, I'll try heating the manifold itself with a propane torch. Hell, it worked for getting my old O2 sensor out on the car, I imagine it should work for this.
Aside from that the engine is ready to go back into the frame tomorrow morning after I get off work.
Sadly, no more photos as I forgot to charge my camera battery, but then, nothing that hasn't been seen here already, so oh well.
|05-21-2013 09:45 AM|
Ooo, you're going to have to re-align the swingarm if you take it off. I've never done it, but it seems like it would be a pain.
Some decent ratchet straps would lift the engine pretty well. I only tilted mine, but didn't have any trouble lining up the engine mounts. The two smooth sided spacers go on the top rear bolt, inside...you'll see the gaps, I almost forgot to put them back.
JB Weld should hold fine, clean it well and scuff it with some coarse grit as best you can and clean it again. The longer the cure time the better, quick setting would be my last choice to use, and extra hardener only makes it brittle. I glued chunks back into the side case of a 2-stroke after the chain came off and took some bolt bosses with it. Never leaked a drop and is still holding over 20 years later.
Harbor Freight sells a powder coating kit, someone here bought one and said it was pretty good.
|05-21-2013 02:13 AM|
So I was on my way home from work yesterday morning and suddenly lost most power. Seemed like I was running on one cylinder. I suspect a bit of grit from my rusty tank got into one of the carbs. Backblowing didn't fix the issue, So i figured it was time to pull them out for a good cleaning. I'll also be addressing the rust in the tank. I guess I put that off for too long now as is.
Being the PITA that it is to get the carbs in and out with the stock intake, I figured this was a good time to go ahead and do the ear shave as well.
Halfway through remove the air system I figured what the hell, might as well go all out and do the TOC side cover mod as well. I have my spare modified cover sitting ready, might as well.
Of course, pulling the exhaust, I broke a stud on the left side manifold.
Oh well, I had to order a new gasket for the front bevel gear anyways.
engine out and I got to see a lot of frame rust that I need to address. Looks like I'm going to be having some fun all week.
OH... and there's a smallish hole in the front of the engine case above the oild filter where the case splits that some previous owner tried to cover up with what appears to be liquid nails. I'll be pealing that out and replacing with JB Weld.
So lets see, what did I get myself into?
Carb pull and clean.
Engine clean/degrease and repaint. Hole repair.
TOC side cover mod
replace exhaust manifold studs
Frame rust removal and repaint
I've got until June 19th to be 100% complete as I've planned on riding down to Gatlinburg, TN June 20th...
I think to get the engine back into the frame, I'm going to drop the swing arm and remove the forks, prop the engine on a 2x12 setup on some concrete blocks, and lift the fame onto and around the engine rather then try to lift the engine into the frame.
More pictures to be added as I progress...
ow if only I had the time and money to get the frame powder coated NOW so that I don't have to pull the engine again when I decided to go that route.
On the plus side, it only took me 3 hours to get the engine out and onto the bench. Bet I can do it faster next time...