|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|04-12-2020 03:57 AM|
|agada||thankyoou so much for the info it helped me a lot to resolve the issue|
|03-20-2020 12:52 AM|
|VN750Rider/Jerry||I have had the chromed plastic cover off. The white plastic body and the silver part that the clear face attach to are held together by crimped metal rings.|
|03-20-2020 12:31 AM|
I’ll throw in some close ups of the rim. It’s not necessary to seal the band, but i did anyway since i have clear sealant on hand. This metal is as said before thin as a coke can so just a flat blade will bend it up straight so the speedo will separate. Just fold it back when done. There is no sealant or glue holding it together in any way.
I’ve been in 4 speedos and 3 tachs so nothing new, but this time I took pics so i could show how to fix the speedo when it sticks. I know many have complained about theirs sticking and i figured I’d be back in one eventually to take pics.
|03-20-2020 12:17 AM|
|One1||Zero issue going together. Just like it came apart. Perfectly simple. Slides back together and the edge folds right back. The only thing “sealed” about it is it's not idiot proof. It’s actually wide open and not sealed in any way. Just closed together with the metal band.|
|03-20-2020 12:06 AM|
|VN750Rider/Jerry||Never seen anybody take a Japanese motorcycle speedometer apart before. They are sealed units. My 2002 Vulcan 750 speedometer lasted 118,000 miles and was still working when the engine blew up. I did have to replace the cable a couple of times. The one on my bought used 1997 also works fine. If it fails completely (speedo and odo) I may remove it to make room for something else. I have a Garmin Zumo GPS that shows my speed, I don't consider mileage on a bike that old to be important, I will be it's last owner. Good luck getting it back together.|
|03-19-2020 11:56 PM|
Speedometer issue resolved - Here’s the fix
The white VN chop project is on the road and I’m going through the little things that need fixed. The speedo worked for a day then stopped. I put a new cable on and it still didn’t work so i popped it open and found out why these quit.
Turns out the factory greases these and for many years that grease stays put, but eventually gravity will win. The grease will end up in the bottom of the “bell” that rotates and it will cause it to stick, then eventually stop working entirely.
The metal ring that goes around the 2 halves of the speedo must be gently removed by prying up the side facing the rear. It’s clamped over a plastic ledge so just run a flat blade around it like you’re pulling up the edge of a coke can thats folded over.
Spin the speedo over to 80 mph and the bottom of the bell will have a clear grease on it. That’s where it has collected at the base of the bell.
I’ve also included a pic of the rubber grommets that break down causing the speedo and tach to become loose. The bolts are tight, they are not coming loose and causing it to wiggle. The rubber breaks down and can be replaced with rubber washers.